PDA

View Full Version : Booster Recommendation

Pbl427
01-27-2012, 11:44 PM
I have a low back booster I used when my niece visited, but my kids are probably too young to use it before it expires, so I am thinking of trading it in at the BRU event and replacing it with something else. The question is - what to get.

What I need is a spare seat to use for occasional carpooling with DS's friends. DS is a small almost 5 yo and is somewhat smaller than most of his friends at 41in and 35.5lbs. Most of his friends unfortunately use highback boosters at least occasionally, and some regularly. DS is in a harnessed seat at all times (Radian/Evenflo Maestro/Safety 1st Go Hybrid). We have a 2012 Highlander and I would like to be able to use the new seat in the 3rd row which has neither LATCH nor a top tether anchor. So, I need something that will install well in that circumstance. Given that - what should a get? Is there a harnessed seat that would work well and convert to a highback booster for the future? Should I just get a highback booster since most of DS's friends already use them and we would only use it occasionally for short trips? Either way, which seat would work best and be most flexible for different users. As a side note, I do not feel that the Radian installs well in the 3rd row. The Go Hybrid, can't install in the 3rd row and I have not tried the maestro.

TIA!
Patti

Joolsplus2
01-28-2012, 09:44 AM
Maybe try the Maestro, then? Snag the floor model at BRU and give the guest service lady your license and give it a shot (hopefully someone else knows... I can't see why it wouldn't work, so I have hope, anyway).
The Turbo booster is probably also fine. If your third row has curtain airbags I might consider the Evenflo Big Kid Amp, because it has higher armrests so might be easy to buckle, plus an extremely slim seatback, allowing more room for head excursion in that smallish space back there.