PDA

View Full Version : Bra fitting - just do it!

Globetrotter
01-28-2012, 12:07 AM
I was wearing 38B or 36C. I need 34D!! I thought they were tight at first, but they actually give support now.

If you haven't done a bra fitting at Nordstrom, you must!

pinkmomagain
01-28-2012, 09:44 AM
Years back I did the same and also went from a 36c to a 34d. It's a total must-do.

ABO Mama
01-28-2012, 05:35 PM
Nothing like the ego boost of going from a 34C to a 32DD :)

willow33
01-28-2012, 06:07 PM
I keep putting this off, but I need to do it!!

babybell
01-28-2012, 09:01 PM
Is it free? Do they pressure you to buy a bra from them? I can't afford expensive bras but I am curious.

crl
01-28-2012, 09:14 PM
It's free. Mostly they pressure you to get measured when you go to buy, ime. I finally gave in and, guess what, I've been wearing the right size all these years. At least now I can say you all just measured me.

Catherine

vludmilla
01-29-2012, 12:28 PM
I had this done last year and went from a 34C to a 34DD!

twowhat?
01-29-2012, 10:27 PM
Most people are wearing too large a band size!! The day I realized it was when I followed breakoutbras' instructions for measuring - I had been wearing a 32C, and it turns out I was really a 28D. I went to Nordstrom to get measured for confirmation. Yup, 28D. No pressure from sales, because they don't carry that size:)

DrSally
01-29-2012, 11:57 PM
I went after i was finished nursing. Great experience. She could tell immediately i was wearing the wrong size. I was wearing a 36c and measured at a Small 34 C. Love the support the band actually gives me now.

goldenpig
01-30-2012, 12:41 AM
Me too! I went from a 34B to a 36C while nursing. Went to Nordstrom for a fitting and they told me I was actually a 32DD--I was shocked! Felt like Dolly Parton or something! But I guess most people should be wearing a smaller band, like twowhat said.

essnce629
01-30-2012, 01:59 AM
I also follow the breakout bras measuring guide and measure often since I'm still nursing and seem to change sizes often. I was a 34F at the end of my pregnancy, a 34L (!!!!!) when my milk came in, and now after 2 1/2 years of nursing DS2 I'm at a 30D. Just ordered a new bra a few weeks ago and it fits perfectly! Most women are in band sizes that are too big. The band of a new bra should feel really snug on the loosest setting when you first get it, but it will loosen up. Also the D cup of a 30D is way smaller than the D cup of a 38D, since the same letter cup size gets bigger as the band size gets bigger. I always thought having a D cup was huge, but the cups of my 30D bra are no bigger than the cups of the 34B bras that I have, just the band is smaller. My mom always thought she was a 36B, but I finally convinced her to let me measure her and she was a 34DD!!!

Here's Breakout Bras measuring guidelines:
http://www.breakoutbras.com/sizing

Globetrotter
01-30-2012, 01:49 PM
I felt some pressure from the Nordstrom salesperson, and she was disappointed that I only bought one (and frankly, I did that out of guilt!). I took my friend in recently and she went from 36 something to 32DDD! After switching sizes, her backaches have disappeared! She is on a very tight budget so couldn't afford Nordstrom - she just told them she would think about it, and then I ordered the same ones from ebay.

IMO, if you can afford it, buy one. If not, don't even think about it!

I was having a heck of a time finding a comfortable bra, but that's probably because I was deciding between 36C and 38B! The 34 band is kind of tight for me, but she said it will stretch out over time and it needs to start out snug to give any support. Now I can see the difference! Good to know the cup sizes increase with band size (so 34D cup is smaller than 38D cup)..

mypa
01-31-2012, 12:22 AM
Just wanted to share a tip I use when I start using a new bra that fits a bit too tight. I use a bra extender to give me that extra inch or so when I first break in a new bra until the band loosens up a bit.

I've found cheap bra extenders at Walmart in the sewing notions section for less than $2.

Globetrotter
01-31-2012, 12:35 PM
Just wanted to share a tip I use when I start using a new bra that fits a bit too tight. I use a bra extender to give me that extra inch or so when I first break in a new bra until the band loosens up a bit.

I've found cheap bra extenders at Walmart in the sewing notions section for less than $2.

great idea! I might have some left from my pregnancy days!

connor_mommy
02-13-2012, 10:14 PM
I just had the best bra fitting experience at Nordstrom today. The sales gal was good and she had her manager double check. She helped me try on at least 15 bras and adjusted each one for me. I've been wearing the wrong size for way too long. I believe I got my last measurement at Macy's and they didn't do a very good job. The measured me lightly over my tshirt. I went from a 34A/36A to 34C;-)

lowrioh
02-15-2012, 01:09 PM
If you don't have a Nordies near you I highly recommend Breakout Bras. I just measured using their method and ended up needing a 34E rather than the 38DD I was wearing. I was weary so I ordered a 34 and a 36 and low and behold the 34 fits perfectly. Shipping wasn't super fast but the pricing and customer service are great.

blondflava
02-15-2012, 05:33 PM
Wow, makes me want to stop by Nordies... I'm 34D now so being raelly 32DD would be a nice boost ;). Seriously now, I'm really curious because the bras I have now are very comfy and 'seem' to fit fine hmmm.

Globetrotter
02-15-2012, 07:05 PM
I must have gone when I was bloated (PMS) because now i feel 32DD fits better than 34D in some cases.. It makes a difference to wear them snug - who knew???

PP, you might be sized correctly already :)

kaitlyns.mom
02-17-2012, 05:59 PM
So I have to ask.. do you ever feel awkward during the measuring? I mean, I know they do it all day long, but I feel so strange having it all hang out for them! :o :ROTFLMAO:

I am debating switching back to normal bras even though I'm still nursing. DS is 1 and I am so tired of wearing super unattractive nursing tanks.

DrSally
02-17-2012, 06:42 PM
They do it with a tape measure while your bra is on. Also, there's a lot they can tell from just seeing how your current bra fits. Mine could tell right away that I was in a bra that was too big.

Melaine
02-17-2012, 07:03 PM
I've never done it because it seems like people are always wearing a size too big and I'm sure I'm not....at least if I am *truly* smaller than a 34A then I refuse to acknowledge it.

connor_mommy
02-17-2012, 08:04 PM
So I have to ask.. do you ever feel awkward during the measuring? I mean, I know they do it all day long, but I feel so strange having it all hang out for them! :o :ROTFLMAO:

I am debating switching back to normal bras even though I'm still nursing. DS is 1 and I am so tired of wearing super unattractive nursing tanks.

I was first measured with my bra on to the the band size. Then they brought in a few bras to see which cup size fit better. It was a little awkward for me in the beginning. After we figured out the right cup size, she helped adjust the straps while I tried on over 15 different bras. But once I felt how comfortable the bras were, I kinda started to feel less awkward. They were very professional.

connor_mommy
02-17-2012, 08:08 PM
I've never done it because it seems like people are always wearing a size too big and I'm sure I'm not....at least if I am *truly* smaller than a 34A then I refuse to acknowledge it.

I thought I was pretty small...but I think if you go down a band size, you end up going up in cup size.

BigDog
02-18-2012, 12:18 AM
I thought I was pretty small...but I think if you go down a band size, you end up going up in cup size.

I think you're right. I got measured this past summer and I always thought I was a 36a, turns out I'm a 32c. I walked outta there feeling like I finally grew a pair!

DrSally
02-18-2012, 10:18 AM
Yeah, usually you go down a band size and up in cup size after a fitting.

amldaley
02-18-2012, 11:30 AM
TOTALLY agree - bra fitting was the most enlightening thing I did.

I recommend going to an actual shop vs a dept store or V/S. V/S did one for me, but I am one size bigger than they carry - so they tried to convince me I really could wear one smaller. Um, no.

I went for one at a shop ideally called The Bra Shoppe and have been BLISSFULLY HAPPY WITH MY BOOBIES IN THEIR BRA ever since.

A great, properly fitting bra makes everything look good. I can make an $8 tee shirt look awesome now.