PDA

View Full Version : When, if ever, is it acceptable to post party pictures on Facebook?

Melbel
01-28-2012, 02:18 PM
A thread in the BP, as well as other threads on the topic, have me wondering when, if ever, you think it is acceptable to post party pictures on Facebook. The only consideration is avoiding hurt feelings by those who were not invited to the party (i.e. ignore any concerns re posting of DCs' pictures on the internet, etc.). Here, it is common for people to post birthday party pictures, but I am not sure about other areas.

As an aside request for advice, I would appreciate it if someone could clarify how to create lists that are private (i.e. your friends would not see the labeling) and/or how to block a particular friend from seeing a particular album.

speo
01-28-2012, 02:29 PM
I voted other. I don't want any pictures of myself or my family on facebook period. It has nothing to do with hurt feelings.

Globetrotter
01-28-2012, 02:31 PM
I tend to post pictures of small parties or parties attended by defined groups (for example, book club or girl scouts). If it's a huge party, only if you invited anyone close enough to care.

Melbel
01-28-2012, 02:33 PM
I tend to post pictures of small parties or parties attended by defined groups (for example, book club or girl scouts). If it's a huge party, only if you invited anyone close enough to care.

This is my perspective as well.

ETA: I only post pictures of children if I know the families are OK with it. As further clarification, hurt feelings, not privacy, is the point of the poll. :)

ahisma
01-28-2012, 02:34 PM
We host a NYE party that everyone is invited to - we post an open invite on FB. I think it's fine to post photos. Family birthday parties - same gig. All family is invited. Kid birthday parties - we invite the whole class - same thing.

I generally only post photos of people who I know are okay with having their photos on FB. For parties with the school class, I try to just post photos of my DC blowing out the candles or something like that.

buddyleebaby
01-28-2012, 02:41 PM
I post photos all the time. That's *mostly* why I am on facebook, for family/friends who are far away to be able to be part of my life. I love seeing party photos from friends/family around the country.

There was one time that there was a shot of DH's friends at a bar for a going away party and I thought it odd that we were not invited (although I had my best friend over, so I could not have gone anyway). I posted something to the effect of "Please tell x congratulations and that I am having a drink in his honor." and another friend (who organized the party) posted that it was disgusting that I couldn't return texts and I was so confused. So I messaged him to say that we hadn't gotten any texts on the cell but next time to call the house and I sent him the number again. And then he realized he had been texting our landline all along trying to tell us about the get together and becoming more and more angry when we didn't get back to him. He apologized for being an ass. :rotflmao:

KpbS
01-28-2012, 02:50 PM
I tend to post pictures of small parties or parties attended by defined groups (for example, book club or girl scouts).

This is my perspective--I'd only post if it was a small, family party or class party.

wimama
01-28-2012, 02:59 PM
I am considering posting pic of some of my DS's upcoming party. All the boys in K5 would be invited. But, as a rule I don't post any pics of any of my DS's friends without asking permission first.

I think it is ok, if it is a small party or if all your local FB friends were invited.

ellies mom
01-28-2012, 02:59 PM
If I'm going to post pictures of an event on FB, I'm simply going to post pictures. I'm not going to worry about it. I have friends and family all over the country. If I post a few pictures from a child's party, I'm not just posting them for the people who were invited. I'm posting them for my family and friends from California to Maine. I have friends that are local that I don't get to spend as much time with as I like. They may have kids but our kids aren't friends but I still like to see what their kids are doing and that includes parties we weren't invited to. You can't invite everybody. You can't always even invite everybody you want to invite. When someone doesn't get invited, it doesn't mean that I don't like them or their child. It simply means that for whatever reason, I wasn't able to invite them. And I am not going to go through my entire list of FB friends trying to figure out which local people are going to get hurt feelings because they weren't invited and what local people weren't invited but will enjoy seeing the pictures because FB is how we stay somewhat caught up with each other with our busy lives. Yes, sometimes feelings get hurt when you aren't included but that is life.

justlearning
01-28-2012, 03:14 PM
I just posted an update to my thread in the bitching forum. Turns out that her posting pics of the actual party helped me understand why DS was not invited (whereas I was feeling hurt reading her post about the upcoming party without knowing who was being invited). So everything's all good now with me. :)

Melbel
01-28-2012, 03:17 PM
I just posted an update to my thread in the bitching forum. Turns out that her posting pics of the actual party helped me understand why DS was not invited (whereas I was feeling hurt reading her post about the upcoming party without knowing who was being invited). So everything's all good now with me. :)

Glad to hear. Sometimes more information IS better after all. I appreciated your perspective either way. :)

smilequeen
01-28-2012, 03:19 PM
I just post pictures and don't worry about it. That said, if someone made my FB friend list, they'd have been invited if it made sense to do so :)

I also have FB for the express purpose of keeping in touch with friends and family all over, so I post plenty of pictures. That's how they keep up with my kids and my extended family especially loves it.

maestramommy
01-28-2012, 04:15 PM
I post pics of Dora's bday party the last 2 years. Not all of my FB friends are invited. But then, I'm not invited to their kids' parties either. I don't think any of us are hurt. I mean, you can only invite so many kids, and we tend to stick with inviting kids OUR kids really know.

BDKmom
01-28-2012, 04:25 PM
I think it's ok to post whatever you want unless you know that a particular person will feel left out or be offended. Then it is pretty easy to block them from seeing a particular post. For a status update, there is a drop down menu next to "post" where you can set the parameters of a post. Choices include friends, public, and some others, but one is customize. That gives you the option to only let xyz see post or let everyone but xyz see post. You just check off the friends name.

For a photo album there is a similar menu, but I don't remember exactly where, just look for it when you are creating the album. I think you can even go back and change after the fact, if you forget.

The problem is that fb changes this stuff so frequently, it's hard to remember to give step-by-step instructions, but I hope that helps a little.

wellyes
01-28-2012, 04:51 PM
I don't really worry that other grownups who I consider friends will get upset by what I'm doing. I hope they'll be happy to see what I'm up to. I love, love, love seeing updates from them.

When my kids are old enough to be on FB I will advise them to be careful in not making others feel excluded.

momm
01-28-2012, 04:52 PM
The only time it's acceptable to post party pictures on Facebook is when you're 12.

Kidding of course. I think one should create lists, honestly. When you post a new album, you can edit the privacy controls and only allow the people you want to see, to see.

SnuggleBuggles
01-28-2012, 06:17 PM
I'm in the never category. Nothing sucks more than sitting home on a Saturday night and seeing pictures of even casual acquaintances having a party without you. You may know reasonably that you weren't invited b/c you weren't that close and that you wouldn't invite them either...but, it still stings. Since it hurts my feelings, I go to lengths to avoid that happening to someone else.