PDA

View Full Version : Is this a safe teether? Update

Melaine
01-28-2012, 08:54 PM
http://www.etsy.com/listing/85186269/natural-wood-cotton-teething-bracelet?ref=sr_gallery_18&sref=&ga_search_submit=&ga_search_query=wood+teether&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_page=8&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_facet=handmade

I'm asking because I was thinking about making one for a gift. I think I would be comfortable with it, but curious if anyone would think it was unsafe.

Uno-Mom
01-28-2012, 09:13 PM
I wouldn't hesitate to give it to a baby.

Unlike the amber teething necklace I saw at my consignment shop: tiny beads strung on elastic with a regular-style clasp! When I asked about the obvious safety risk, they said the thinking was that the choker-style necklace stays close to baby's neck so doesn't get to their mouth. Huh?? Any self-respecting baby would just break and then eat the darn thing.

Melaine
01-28-2012, 09:58 PM
Thanks! Just curious what others thought. I was thinking about stringing the beads on a ribbon and then covering them with fabric so that it would be double-protected. I just thought this would be a cute little add on for a baby shower gift and bonus points for easy project!

ETA: We use amber necklaces but they are double knotted between each bead and I can attest from personal experience that when they break no beads flew off! Would not be comfortable with the one you described at all!

citymama
01-28-2012, 10:06 PM
I wouldn't give it to a baby. Why risk it with beads? An all wood ring like one of the Haba teethers is the way to go IMO. Or all rubber like Sophie.

Melaine
01-28-2012, 10:11 PM
Yes, but I can't make Sophie, particularly not with supplies I have on hand.:rotflmao:

Jo..
01-28-2012, 10:15 PM
Not safe. They could pull the stuffing out with their teeth and spit it in your eye. Then you'd be BLIND.

Uno-Mom
01-28-2012, 10:17 PM
There are many teethers marketed with plastic beads that size, strung on a thin plastic ring. People trust those. I think these days we're programmed to trust synthetic materials for durability over natural ones like cotton, but I'm not sure that's fair.

I work with adults who have a diagnosis called pica - the chew everything and will eat anything, many eat their clothes. I know from experience that it takes a whole lot of force for, say, an adult man to rip a piece off a thick woven cotton fabric and that's with a strong set of adult teeth!

I would not worry that a baby could do it. The point of weakness would be at the tie, I suppose, but if each bead was individually knotted and then the whole ring was triple tied...I'd feel comfortable.

Melaine
01-28-2012, 10:17 PM
Not safe. They could pull the stuffing out with their teeth and spit it in your eye. Then you'd be BLIND.

:hysterical:

Jo..
01-28-2012, 10:50 PM
:rotflmao:

s7714
01-29-2012, 12:44 AM
I wouldn't have an issue with the beads so much as the fact it isn't washable. I like things I can pop in the dishwasher or washing machine to get clean after they've been tossed on the ground while we're out and about.

Melaine
01-29-2012, 08:03 AM
I would not want it either if it wasn't washable...but I don't see why it wouldn't be if it is wood and cloth....I'd put it in the washing machine.

Melaine
01-29-2012, 12:28 PM
So, here's the teether....not pretty enough for a gift, but I am fine using it with my baby boy. I think it turned out pretty cute. I couldn't figure out how to make it into a ring neatly so I kept it long. I triple-sewed the seams and strung the wood beads on a ribbon before encasing them, so I feel it is perfectly safe. (Appique onesie, on the other hand was kind of a disaster but hopefully DS won't sit still at 9 months so that no one will notice the horrible stitching. Learning projects, for sure).

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll113/MamaMelaine/smallonesieteether.jpg

s7714
01-29-2012, 01:23 PM
I would not want it either if it wasn't washable...but I don't see why it wouldn't be if it is wood and cloth....I'd put it in the washing machine.

Wood does not withstand being soaked in water and soap well, which is why I don't consider it machine washable. Wood that has been treated with a urethane or tar type product can hold up (think wood boats) but without a barrier, unfinished wood would swell, crack and splinter over time.

Melaine
01-29-2012, 05:53 PM
Oh that's a bummer. Some of the ones on etsy listed that they were washable, I wonder if they are specially treated. If they can't be washed that's pretty useless.