PDA

View Full Version : Is it really crazy to fly with our Britax? UPDATED with a pic (post 13)

happymom
01-28-2012, 09:45 PM
We will be flying overseas to Israel with DD in about 2 weeks. We want to bring a carseat for both the flight, and for our rental car once we're there. I told DH about the Scenera (based on what I've read here about it being a great seat for flying), and he thinks DD will be more comfortable and therefore more likely to sleep in her Boulevard with the headwings. We are sort of counting on her sleeping in the car a lot once we're there, so that's an important factor. I explained how annoying it will be to carry such a heavy seat in the airport, as opposed to carrying a light Scenera. But DH says he'll figure out a way to attach it one of our rolling carry-ons. He is very handy in that way, so I'm sure he will :). Any other reason to be getting a Scenera?

AngelaS
01-28-2012, 09:53 PM
We took two Britax seats on several trips. It was fine.

DietCokeLover
01-28-2012, 09:56 PM
I've traveled with a marathon and a snug ride before. It wasn't bad. We bought a rolling rack that you would put luggage on and bungee corded the marathon to that. Just rolled it through the airports.

BayGirl2
01-28-2012, 10:11 PM
We've flown with the Blvd numerous times. We attach it to a GoGo kids and its fine. I can't imagine the size of a carseat makes that big of a difference, either way you are lugging one around. I'd rather have it be one DC likes thats easy to install when we arrive.

happymom
01-28-2012, 10:13 PM
We took two Britax seats on several trips. It was fine.

Glad to hear someone say that! Thanks.

I've traveled with a marathon and a snug ride before. It wasn't bad. We bought a rolling rack that you would put luggage on and bungee corded the marathon to that. Just rolled it through the airports.

Good idea. DH was actually planning on using bungee cords to attach it to the rolling suitcase. It would probably be a good idea to try that out now, and if it doesn't fit we could buy a rolling rack.

LMPC
01-28-2012, 10:22 PM
We also have flown with the blvd, and it was fine...heavy but fine. I think as long as you know it's going to be heavy then you will be fine. :thumbsup:

wellyes
01-28-2012, 10:30 PM
Glad to hear someone say that! Thanks.

Good idea. DH was actually planning on using bungee cords to attach it to the rolling suitcase. It would probably be a good idea to try that out now, and if it doesn't fit we could buy a rolling rack.

Probably obvious but just make sure that rolling suitcase is carry-on size!

happymom
01-28-2012, 10:32 PM
Thanks everyone!

SnuggleBuggles
01-28-2012, 10:37 PM
We had a backpack carrier for our Britax (bought it at Target ages ago) and that was nice as we were hands free.

Snow mom
01-28-2012, 11:04 PM
We travel with our MA and use a go-go kidz. This works better for us because even at 3 our DD always wants to be carried but we can get her to ride in the carseat (no way she'd walk through the airport.) The disadvantage of the go-go is it has to be taken off to go through security--the carseat only fits through the xray without it. One additional note on traveling with carseat: I have yet to be on a plane where the carseat fits down the aisle. I typically carry it over my head so as to not wipe out the other passengers. It's a pain.

If your DD walks well or you are planning on bringing a stroller anyway I think some bungee cords would work find. I recently dropped friends off at the airport and they rigged up a MA and snugride to a single rolling bag with a series of bungee cords. Try it before you go though.

jjordan
01-29-2012, 03:34 PM
Another vote for "you'll be fine." Any time we've flown with kids (which, granted, hasn't been that often, but a few times anyway), we've done it with Britax seats. Just get used to the fact that flying with kids is NEVER easy, and the car seats are the least of your hassles. :)

karstmama
01-29-2012, 07:40 PM
i flew with a roundabout and a gogokidz. it worked great - he ran off down the concourse after security because i had to take him out, but otherwise stayed seated pretty happily. i had just turned him ff, but we'd have used it ff on the airplane either way. i kept the gogo on for xray and on the plane. the only thing to be careful about is that you can get to the buckle to undo the seat afterwards - that was tricky.

happymom
03-13-2012, 08:39 PM
Just realized I should update this. We flew with the Britax, and my ever-resourceful DH figured out a way to wear it on his back through the airport!! Here's a picture actually-

http://images5a.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp63579%3Enu%3D334%3B%3E858%3E767%3EWS NRCG%3D37%3A7%3C5%3A2%3A3336nu0mrj

DH said it was not uncomfortable to wear. I'm not sure exactly what he did- I see in the picture he used the anchoring strap for one side (just tied it down to bar on bottom), but I'm not sure about the other. I could ask him if anyone wants. I though it was pretty clever!

ETA: Sorry, that's huge! Wish I knew how to make it smaller!