PDA

View Full Version : Another pre-school question (sorry): What to look for in non-certified Montessori?

ourbabygirl
01-29-2012, 12:15 AM
So I did a search for any AMI and/ or AMS certified Montessori preschools in our area, and they're all very far away with very high tuitions and strict expectations. ;)
I'm intrigued by the whole Montessori philosophy, though, and I'd like to tour a few of them (among other types of preschools, as well) to get a better idea of which place would be the best fit for DD for preschool next year. Seems like this week is the time to go on the tours/ attend the open houses, so I'd like to figure out ahead of time what I should be looking for, especially if the preschool is not certified (looks like there are only about 10-15 AMI or AMS 'certified' schools in our state).

I know some basics thanks to this board, but I'm wondering what you would suggest to look for...
Obviously, class sizes and teacher-student ratios are important to me, as well as what the environment and materials look like and how personable the teachers are (though it'll be hard to tell how they interact with kids if I go only based on an open house that's held after hours and led by a director/ administrator).

One thing I'd really like is a school that has an outdoor play space (her current place only has a gym inside, which is fine for our current weather, but it would be great for the kids to be playing outside as much as possible).

Days and times will be an important factor (it's hard to find something that's not on T/Th for 3 year olds, but I'd rather have M/W or M/W/F if possible)- I guess most Montessori preschools only have 3, 4, or 5 day a week options? Finally, tuition costs are a big consideration, as well.

Any tips on what to look for in a Montessori school (or other type) are greatly appreciated! :bowdown:

Thanks!

essnce629
01-29-2012, 03:48 AM
Most true Montessori schools strongly encourage the children to attend 5 days a week, either half or full days. Both the schools in my area do after a "transitional" period (for the younger 2-3 year olds) of a few months or so. The idea seems to be that consistent routine is better for young kids. They know what to expect each weekday and that supposedly decreases anxiety for them. Also, the class sizes in traditional Montessori schools are rather large-- 36 children of mixed ages. Usually around 12 three year olds, 12 four year olds, and 12 five year olds with an equal mix of boys and girls. The younger kids ask the older kids for help and learn by observing them and the older kids benefit from guiding and teaching the younger ones. Both of the Montessori schools I visited had very beautiful outside areas with play structures, trikes, sand/water tables, tables outside where the children ate lunch daily, balls, building toys, play kitchens, outside stage area for the annual play, garden areas of flowers/veggies/herbs, and fruit trees. The school we current attend for our parent & me class also has a little hedge maze for the kids to walk through with a rock water fountain in the middle. Neither of the schools I visited were certified, but both are very traditional Montessori. They are expensive ($1200 a month for 5 half days) but that seems to be the average price here in Los Angeles. Oh, and both of the Montessori schools I visited had daily 30 minute enrichment classes that are included in the tuition. They were drama, dance, yoga, cooking, French, Spanish, art, storytelling, and one more I can't remember. The kids attending 5 days a week had 2 enrichment classes a day and the other transitioning 2-3 year olds had one enrichment class a day. At one school they also had time each day in the "outdoor classroom" where they learned about gardening, etc.

Here's the list I brought with me on my 2 Montessori observations and tours. They are mostly yes/no questions that I was able to check off while I observed.

Montessori Observation
 Name of School:
 Location of School:
 Tuition:
 Notes on Financial Programs:
 Notes on Teacher Training:
 Experience With Children Who Have Special Needs:

 Children choosing activities themselves, having sustained focus on the activities, and caring for the classroom and materials. Y | N
 Work period close to 3 hours. Y | N
 Children working and helping one another in a natural way (without looking for approval or praise from adults). Y | N
 Older children giving lessons to the younger ones. Y | N
 Children solving their own disputes without adult intervention. If adult intervention is involved, please make exact notes. Y | N
 Minimal behavioral management does not involve yelling, threatening, etc. Y | N
 An orderly, pleasant environment, with materials that are attractive, complete, and well-cared for. Y | N
 The presence of traditional Montessori materials. Minimal “toys,” and all toys have a specific lesson-based purpose. Y | N
 Child sized furniture and equipment, and materials at the children’s level, set up in orderly and accessible ways. Y | N
 Children moving about and talking to one another freely, but still respecting each other's space. Y | N
 Teachers who speak quietly and respectfully to the children. Y | N
 Teachers giving individual or small group lessons. Y | N
 Teachers journaling and/or actively observing the classroom in action, without taking an active role. Y | N

Observations From Conversation with Teacher or Administrator:
 Notes on Depth of Teacher/Administrative Understanding of the Work:
 Notes on Depth of Teacher/Administrative Understanding of the Philosophy:

What is the typical daily schedule? What are drop off and pick up procedures? How does parent-school/teacher communication take place?
 What are the clothing and personal item restrictions?
 Is the school AMS or AMI or [insert other] oriented? What is the training most common among staff? Is circle time a regular or unusual part of the class schedule?
 How are lessons presented? How is a child’s progress through materials monitored?
 Where does the school expect children to be at the end of the 3-6 year old period? Does the school offer Montessori for children older than six, and if so, what percentage of children continue at the school?
 How does the school describe it’s approach to discipline? (Also, any concerns such as lack of boundaries placed on restraint, etc.)
 Are teachers ever one-on-one with a child or class of children? In what type of scenarios? For what length of time?
 What type of scenario would signal to the teacher/administrator that Montessori or that the school is not a good fit? Are there any types of students who the teacher/administrator feels would have a harder time in the school? What type of testing is required for admission/what’s the admission criterion?
 Are there any “specials” offered, and if so, how frequently and at what cost (gym, music, foreign languages, etc…)
 What is the teacher turnover rate? Do staff members appear happy and satisfied by their work? What is the level of support and compensation of staff?
 How does the school describe its approach to diversity? What is the classroom approach to family structure diversity (adoption, same-sex parents, etc.)? What is the current level of diversity (gender, ethnicity, race, first language, family structure, etc.) among the children, their families, and the staff:
 Notes on the facility (playground, library, garden, etc.):
 Notes on general sense of the school:

Overall sense of the school on a scale of 1-10

Questions
"Why is choice important in the classroom?"
"Why don't you do worksheets and workbooks?"

Sillygirl
01-29-2012, 09:47 AM
If the certified schools are kind of far away, they might be able to tell you which closer schools follow the philosophy better. Montessori trained teachers will almost always have interacted at training seminars and may have hopped from school to school. Also, certification is expensive, so there may be schools that are pretty strict Montessorians but haven't sunk the resources into certification. Anyway, it might be worth a polite call to the administration office of one of the certified schools and see if they'll share any insights with you. Don't expect them to bad mouth schools, just see if there's one or two they recommend.