PDA

View Full Version : Cruelty free pet food?

wendmatt
01-29-2012, 12:03 PM
I was pretty shocked to learn that many pet food companies test cruelly on animals. I have used Iams for years but apparently they are the worst offenders :( Any ideas of a cruelty free food i can use that I can buy at a supermarket or pet shop? If I look on the PETA website they are all obscure companies and mail order, which would be expensive to ship. I'm not looking for a vegetarian option.

Twins2000
01-29-2012, 12:21 PM
The only pet food I'm familiar with on the "Does Not Test on Animals" is Natural Balance. It is available at Petco, and probably some other pet stores as well.

AnnieW625
01-29-2012, 12:26 PM
We use Natural Balance Reduced Calorie, but I believe they make a veggie formula.

wendmatt
01-29-2012, 02:11 PM
Thank you so much, they are listed on the iams cruelty site, I just didn't look properly or wasn't familiar with them. This is great to have a rec, I'm off to Petco. I'll stick with meat for our tiger rather than veggies! Thanks again
Wendy

baboki
01-29-2012, 02:25 PM
While it's true that Iams is crap food, I wouldn't necessary trust anything written on a PETA website. I undersand wanting to buy cruelty-free, but as for a vegetarian diet, I hope you don't have cats, because they are obligate carnivores. Forcing your pets to be a vegetarian could very well kill them.

JoyNChrist
01-29-2012, 02:32 PM
While it's true that Iams is crap food, I wouldn't necessary trust anything written on a PETA website. I undersand wanting to buy cruelty-free, but as for a vegetarian diet, I hope you don't have cats, because they are obligate carnivores. Forcing your pets to be a vegetarian could very well kill them.

I'm a little confused about the vegetarian thing too. I thought both cats and dogs had to eat animal products?

buddyleebaby
01-29-2012, 02:40 PM
I'm a little confused about the vegetarian thing too. I thought both cats and dogs had to eat animal products?

OP said she is NOT looking for a vegetarian option.

KLD313
01-29-2012, 02:51 PM

I don't know about cats, I think they do need to eat meat but there are dogs who are allergic to meats and need to eat a veg diet. I had issues with one of my bulldogs and the vet tried her on a veg food. I must though it was the most disgusting thing I've ever seen and I cried while she ate it. Luckily we didn't need to keep her on it.

wendmatt
01-29-2012, 03:15 PM
OP said she is NOT looking for a vegetarian option.

Thank you! Although I am a veggie, I have NO intention of making my pets vegetarians, I just wanted a pet food that did not test cruelly on animals.

AnnieW625
01-29-2012, 04:40 PM
I misread the veggie thing too. I have only heard of vegetarian dogs who are vegetarians because they are used for duck or pheasant hunting because you don't want the dog eating the bird meat.

wellyes
01-29-2012, 04:50 PM
Thank you! Although I am a veggie, I have NO intention of making my pets vegetarians, I just wanted a pet food that did not test cruelly on animals.
Thanks for raising the question, I am a veg too but just held my nose & bougth whatever pet food.... I would not try to make my cat vegetarian. So glad to hear there is a less objectionable option.

drako
01-29-2012, 05:35 PM
Dog food kibble is so processed (even the good ones). It has become a convenience food (and yes, I feed a high quality kibble supplemented with real cooked and/or raw meat). I am not sure you would physcially see a difference between a vegetarian kibble vs. a meat kibble. Not the most healthy diet for a dog or cat since they require meat based protein.

Also, I am not so sure how I feel about the cruelty factor...I am not so sure they are inhumanely raised. They do food trials on the animals. I am sure they are kept in clean surroundings and are fed the appropriate amount food. I am also sure they have clean water too. Are they loved by a family...no, but I bet their needs are met. Also, how would you feel about your pet trialing the food? These companies see how their foods do with the animals being fed to before a new formula is released to the public. I do not feed Iams...there are so many other better foods out there. But I don't buy into that the animals are inhumanely raised.

flashy09
01-29-2012, 06:15 PM
I misread the veggie thing too. I have only heard of vegetarian dogs who are vegetarians because they are used for duck or pheasant hunting because you don't want the dog eating the bird meat.

What?? Never heard that and my husband's family breeds Springer Spaniels in England for pheasant hunting