PDA

View Full Version : Which placement seems safer and more convenient?

Liziz
01-29-2012, 03:57 PM
We have a Graco Snugride 35 w/ 2 bases, which we just installed in our cars today. We both have Honda Civics (2001 and 2002). In DH's car, we used LATCH and put the carseat in the outboard position behind the passenger seat (DH is too tall for it to be an option behind him). In my car, we used the seatbelt to put the carseat in the middle position.

In both cars, the base (at the belt path), does not move more than 1 inch. However, there is definitely more movement in the center position than there is in the outboard position. What are your thoughts on safety between the two? I feel like "the tighter the better", but I also feel like the center does provide more protection than the side, even if both are technically acceptable positions.

And, if both positions seem equally safe -- what's your perspective on which is easiest and most manageable from a convenience perspective?

TIA for your thoughts....doing the "right" thing with carseats is a bit overwhelming for us as first time parents!

SoCalMommy
01-29-2012, 05:43 PM
Congrats on your little one! We are first time parents as well, so I can relate to your concern. We also have a Graco Snugride 35 (love it!).

I'm curious to hear what this board says, but here is what i recently learned: the grandparents went to a safety tech at the police department to help them install their convertible car seat (True Fit) correctly and he shared with them that it is safest to put the seat where they crash test them. They have a Prius and originally we thought the middle would be safest but he said that the middle wouldn't be best since all of the stats and crash test data was based on having the seat behind either the driver or passenger seat. I am guessing that the instruction manual for each car seat would say if it's okay to put in the middle, but they didn't question it and had it installed behind the passenger seat. I never heard that before. Anyone else?

Multimama
01-29-2012, 09:57 PM
Techs are taught that the safest position is the middle because it is the farthest away from any given point of impact in a crash (since you don't know where you will be hit in a crash). If the center install is acceptable (less than one inch of movement at the belt path), I would keep the seat in the center. In fact, I would also try to install the other seat that you now have outboard in the center (unless even in the center your DH's height makes it not an option?).

I would make sure you contact a technician in your area and have your seats checked too, if that's at all a possibility. And make sure the person is a certified technician. Pretty much everybody makes mistakes so even if you think your install is perfect, it's worth doing!

As far as which is more convenient, it really depends. Usually the center is more convenient if the seat fits between the two front seats and so allows both passengers more leg room. But some people find outboard easier for loading and unloading an infant seat if you plan to take it in and out of the car a lot.

ETA: I don't know where that police officer came up with the idea that they needed to be outboard because that's where they crash test them. Crash test data is not usually released to the public (and I've never heard of First Years, who makes the TrueFit, releasing any) and most crash testing is done on a test bench, not in an actual car. The US test bench does not even have any front seats so his idea makes no sense!

Liziz
01-30-2012, 07:08 PM
Thanks for the advice! We definitely do plan to bring the seats to a car seat tech to have them checked, but....I've read enough posts here where the tech gave bad information, that I'm trying to make myself as educated as I can, too!

edurnemk
01-30-2012, 07:33 PM
ETA: I don't know where that police officer came up with the idea that they needed to be outboard because that's where they crash test them. Crash test data is not usually released to the public (and I've never heard of First Years, who makes the TrueFit, releasing any) and most crash testing is done on a test bench, not in an actual car. The US test bench does not even have any front seats so his idea makes no sense!

And I remember the instruction manual from our Graco Safeseat (now the Snugride) specifically said the safest position is the center, so I'd take the manufacturer's word over the police officer's any day.