PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about Minecraft and if DD should be on the site

mom2binsd
01-29-2012, 07:18 PM
DD who is 8.5 is begging me to sign her up on the Minecraft site, her cousins and friends are all on and play the games.

She has been looking at the site and playing the music etc, but I guess you need to sign up to actually play.

o_mom
01-29-2012, 08:10 PM
http://www.commonsensemedia.org/game-reviews/minecraft

I've never been on Minecraft, but this might help a bit - looks like it is not too bad, but since it is unmoderated, it might have user created content that would be inappropriate for an 8 yo (right on the edge of their suggested age range). If you don't find out anything majorly objectionable, maybe some heavy supervision at first?

mom2binsd
01-29-2012, 08:16 PM
The one thing I read about is that if they are interacting with other players there is no way to know what others are saying and I guess some parents have heard that other players will use foul language etc.

I do not like the 26.95 price tag and I really don't have time to sit and supervise her all the time on this....honestly we have a Wii, she has a DSi and access to lots of fun websites with games, but she seems just so stuck on this, maybe we'll try the free version for bit and hope she loses interest.

Thanks for the link!

plusbellelavie
01-29-2012, 09:32 PM
My kids are DS 11 (7th Grade) and DD 9 (5th Grade) and their friends play this game and have been playing it for over a year now.

They say if you are worry about anything you can purchase it and then have her just play in the Single Player mode and she will not be playing with anyone else except herself. They say that this is the best way to start and to get to know the game.

After when she is older then you can go into the Mulitplayer mode then depending on what server you use you find that the language and content will vary but for the most part they haven't not encountered anything too offensive.

According to my son the moderators and owner of the server stop most offensive language and content.

If you want to know which server my kids and their friends are on here is the website
http://mushucraft.weebly.com/

I have to say we intially had our worries about this game but both kids have been playing on it for over a year now and we have followed along and have to say what they create is pretty awesome.

My son got a bit addicated to the game but we have set up limits and it works for us and him. DD is less into the game but can easily play. It is a big help if you know others who play...and it is more fun too. They can "hook" up on the same server and play together. My kids and their friends talk about this game all the time...in the car, on the bus, at tennis, at the bus stop....it doesn't stop but they all seem to really like it!

If you want any more information PM me and I will ask my son.

DS says the free version is very limited and not much fun and not like the full version at all.

HTH...