PDA

View Full Version : Episodes of irregular heartbeat - what is this?

vejemom
01-29-2012, 09:14 PM
Twice today, I had a short episode where my heart felt like it jumped, or the beat was interrupted for a split second, accompanied by a strange (but not painful ) sensation in my chest. FWIW, I eat pretty healthy, and I'm in really good shape, so I would assume I'm an unlikely candidate for heart disease, especially at age 36.

Husband was totally unconcerned about it beyond snarling that i drink too much coffee. I mentioned it in passing to my parents when they called today, and they seemed concerened. I guess I'll call the doctor about it tomorrow. Anyone ever had something like this happen to them before? What is it?

Indianamom2
01-29-2012, 09:28 PM
Yes, it has happened to me as well. I'm 33.

Are you taking any new meds? Caffeine can cause it to happen, so can stress (which seems to be my case). I also had it start after taking a new medicine.

I think it's always good to get something like this checked out with your family doctor. Likely it's nothing, but better safe than sorry. I know it's scary and uncomfortable.

buddyleebaby
01-29-2012, 09:29 PM
I *would* get it checked out, but I wouldn't worry about it too much. I have (and always have had) random, infrequent incidents of heart arrhythmia and I am absolutely fine. My heart just beats to its own drummer sometimes, I guess. :ROTFLMAO:

WatchingThemGrow
01-29-2012, 09:31 PM
My DH had some episodes like that last summer, and it ended up happening a lot. After a few months (!!!!) he finally told me about it, then went to his doctor who referred him to a cardiologist. Caffeine was the main culprit, but stress and heat add to it. He wore a Holter and found that he does indeed have an irregular heartbeat, even if he's not actively aware of it.

lalasmama
01-29-2012, 09:32 PM
It's common to have occasional sensations of your heart "skipping" a beat, but it's always good to have it checked out.

Here's my :bag moment...

My grandmother died from a heart attack at 44. My birth mother had her first heart attack (there's been 2, I think) at 42. So, when I started having what I thought was an irregular heartbeat, my doctor was willing to go the "whole 10 yards" where testing was concerned. We found out that I have a t-wave inversion (so sometimes the top of my heart forgets to beat) on an EKG. Then, to make sure nothing worse was wrong, they hooked me up to a monitor (called a ZIO card) for 4 weeks. It only came off when I was showering.

When all was said and done, I got a rash from the electrodes, a million and two questions about the wires peaking out of my shirt, and a completely clean bill of heart health.

:bag It was the sphincter at the top of the stomach was was fluttering, not my heart, because I have acid reflux.

However, do get it checked out. I can't tell you the anxiousness that was relieved in just knowing that it was because of acid reflux, not a true heart issue!

missym
01-29-2012, 09:33 PM
Agreeing with the other posters - worth checking on but probably not worth worrying about. Your dr. will probably want to run a test or two just to be safe. They sound like my heart palpitations - totally benign but really annoying. Mine can either be a once-a-day thing or they can go on for hours. They are worse if I'm dehydrated or take decongestants.

Melaine
01-29-2012, 09:37 PM
Agree with everyone....it can be many things. Mine is related to stress and if I drink too much caffeine.

Indianamom2
01-29-2012, 09:42 PM
It's common to have occasional sensations of your heart "skipping" a beat, but it's always good to have it checked out.

Here's my :bag moment...

My grandmother died from a heart attack at 44. My birth mother had her first heart attack (there's been 2, I think) at 42. So, when I started having what I thought was an irregular heartbeat, my doctor was willing to go the "whole 10 yards" where testing was concerned. We found out that I have a t-wave inversion (so sometimes the top of my heart forgets to beat) on an EKG. Then, to make sure nothing worse was wrong, they hooked me up to a monitor (called a ZIO card) for 4 weeks. It only came off when I was showering.

When all was said and done, I got a rash from the electrodes, a million and two questions about the wires peaking out of my shirt, and a completely clean bill of heart health.

:bag It was the sphincter at the top of the stomach was was fluttering, not my heart, because I have acid reflux.

However, do get it checked out. I can't tell you the anxiousness that was relieved in just knowing that it was because of acid reflux, not a true heart issue!

I remember you mentioning this issue before but didn't know that it ended up being acid reflux. That is really interesting because I suspect that I have Acid reflux as well. I've been checked with the holter monitor and even admitted for chest pain/treadmill test...the whole nine yards too and everything comes back fine.

vejemom
01-29-2012, 09:44 PM
Agreeing with the other posters - worth checking on but probably not worth worrying about. Your dr. will probably want to run a test or two just to be safe. They sound like my heart palpitations - totally benign but really annoying. Mine can either be a once-a-day thing or they can go on for hours. They are worse if I'm dehydrated or take decongestants.

Huh. I've been taking Sudafed for a bad cold. Although I didn't have any today. But that's really interesting. I've been under tons of stress lately and I do usually drink 3 cups of coffee a day. The thing that kind of scared me a bit was that the second episode happened while I was carrying DD#1 up the steps. But that is most likely a total coincidence, I know.

Lala's mom - that is too funny! But it must have been really scary before you got things figured out.

kbud
01-29-2012, 09:49 PM
I've been having this a lot lately. I went to the Dr. a few weeks ago. He said it's very normal and women notice it much more than men. The fact that I've had it so much and it was even keeping me awake at night he wanted to check it out as there is a slight chance it can be something. I wore a monitor for 24 hours. I haven't gotten the results and don't go back for a follow up for a few more weeks but I'm guessing it was fine since I haven't heard anything otherwise. So not sure if that $700 was well spent or not but I've met my deductible for the year!

Jo..
01-29-2012, 09:54 PM
I remember you mentioning this issue before but didn't know that it ended up being acid reflux. That is really interesting because I suspect that I have Acid reflux as well. I've been checked with the holter monitor and even admitted for chest pain/treadmill test...the whole nine yards too and everything comes back fine.

I also find this really interesting. I have moments when I swear my heart is flipping out, but now I wonder if it's reflux (which I have terribly).

Melaine
01-29-2012, 09:55 PM
Huh. I've been taking Sudafed for a bad cold. Although I didn't have any today. But that's really interesting. I've been under tons of stress lately and I do usually drink 3 cups of coffee a day. The thing that kind of scared me a bit was that the second episode happened while I was carrying DD#1 up the steps. But that is most likely a total coincidence, I know.

Lala's mom - that is too funny! But it must have been really scary before you got things figured out.

I blame the Sudafed....SOOOO many people have issues with it and meds like it. DH actually had this too last time he took one of those cold meds.

kbud
01-29-2012, 09:57 PM

this is the second time I've heard this and I do have acid reflux so that could be it.

lalasmama
01-29-2012, 10:02 PM
Like others have pointed out, many times palpitations are worse when ill. I know to expect the real palpitations (LOL, not the reflux flutters I also get!) anytime I am ill with a cold and taking cold medicine. Weirdly, it doesn't effect me to take the real Sudofed (or however it's spelled), but I can't take things like Tylenol Cold and Sinus tabs without getting them.

pinkmomagain
01-29-2012, 10:30 PM
Has happened to me several times over the years....For me it seems to coincide with allergy season. Don't know why. I've worn a Holter monitor, EKG, echocardiogram...I'm OK just occassional episodes of extra/irregular heartbeats. No biggie. Go to the dr to get it checked out, but I bet you'll be fine.

HIU8
01-29-2012, 11:25 PM
I have palpitations. I have mitral valve prolapse (which in itself is not a big deal), but I have issues with missed beats and an irregular heart rate. I also have bradycardia (I have an elite athletes pulse and heart rate (very slow--suprisingly efficient pumping with less beats). Exercise actually helps to regulate my irregular heart rate. I have worn a halter monitor many times throughout my life when the episodes got worse (b/c they want to catch them). I know that when I get that rapid heart rate-feeling of my heart jumping through my chest-that a good whack on my chest or a few determined coughs can stop it. Mine are affected by lack of exercise (which I rarely let happen now), caffeine, lack of sleep.

Just to be on the safe side, I would get it checked out. It could be nothing or it could be related to what others have mentioned.

mackmama
01-29-2012, 11:39 PM
I think you should have it checked out. Chances are it is nothing, but your symptoms sound similar to a friend of mine's who eventually ended up being diagnosed with atrial fibrillation (which resulted in some meds and surgical intervention).

OKKiddo
01-30-2012, 12:00 AM
Twice today, I had a short episode where my heart felt like it jumped, or the beat was interrupted for a split second, accompanied by a strange (but not painful ) sensation in my chest. FWIW, I eat pretty healthy, and I'm in really good shape, so I would assume I'm an unlikely candidate for heart disease, especially at age 36.

Husband was totally unconcerned about it beyond snarling that i drink too much coffee. I mentioned it in passing to my parents when they called today, and they seemed concerened. I guess I'll call the doctor about it tomorrow. Anyone ever had something like this happen to them before? What is it?

Yes, it has happened to me as well. I'm 33.

Are you taking any new meds? Caffeine can cause it to happen, so can stress (which seems to be my case). I also had it start after taking a new medicine.

I think it's always good to get something like this checked out with your family doctor. Likely it's nothing, but better safe than sorry. I know it's scary and uncomfortable.

I have had this happen before but I wouldn't say it felt like it was skipping a beat but suddenly beating faster and irregular. I was pregnant when I first complained about it to a Dr. Turns out, I have PVC's (Premature Ventricular Contraction). My heart is adding an extra half beat because the pvc is squeezing before all of the blood is pumped to the next area (sorry, not a cardiologist just explaining how it was explained to me) and that because it was adding one, then the next beat had to catch up and do extra work--hence the strange feeling in the chest after wards. Not to mention that I was also having to take an extra deep breath at the times it was happening. I also found out that it can be brought on by your thyroid. So, I always know when that's messing up, or when I've had too much caffeine (or chocolate!) because I'll notice my pvc's more after.

Definitely go in and get it checked out! I hope that it's nothing and that you leave after being told how healthy you are.

bcafe
01-30-2012, 12:03 AM
I get heart palpitations quite often. I find them more annoying than worrisome so personally I am not concerned. If it happens again, try coughing, that usually helps mine. I should add that I have no family history of any cardiac issues, nor am I taking any meds.

theriviera
01-30-2012, 12:12 AM
I also get PVCs and they are much worse when I'm pregnant. My cardiologist said they were benign but I did end up on a beta blocker as it was really bothersome. I started out though by taking a magnesium oxide supplement which helped until I got further along in the pregnancy.

I think it's worth a call to the doctor. He may refer your to a cardiologist and have you wear a holter monitor.

gatorsmom
01-30-2012, 02:03 AM
I have the same feelings. It started right after I had Gator. I was 32yo. I saw a cardiologist who did some tests (can't remember them all now) but I was diagnosed with Premature Atrial Contractions (PAC). They are harmless and irregular but annoying. After my second baby I found I occasionally develope an extremely rapid heartbeat known as Super Ventricular Tachycardia (SVT). This one can be harmful if it doesn't stop. Due to the infrquency of them, I don't need to be on medication and so far can stop them and throw my heart into a regular heartbeat by doing vagal manuevers. I was led to believe that the PACs had turned into the SVT but I actually still feel the PACs. So whether the PACs led to the SVTs I don't know.

All this to say that you probably have nothing to worry about but it's good to talk to a doctor and do some testing. Even if you have nothing to worry about it would probably be good to keep an eye on it.

MSWR0319
01-30-2012, 09:12 AM
I'm 30 and had is liar problems about 7 years ago. Dr sent me to a cardiologist who told me it was SVT, put me on a beta blocker, and told me not to worry. Well, at my 6 months checkup I kept telling him they were still happening and I got this "wierd preassure" at the bottom of my throat everytime. He told me it was a coincidence probably, didn't make sense to him. I then happened to go to an allergist for allergy testing and the dr came in after the test and ask why I was on the beta blocker. I started telling him about the fast heart beats and he if used my sentence with the "wierd pressure". He described everything I had been trying to describe. Turns out it was severe reflux caused by my allergies to beef! I still get them every once in awhile but as soon as I take tums it goes away. So, definitely get checked, but I'm sure you're fine!