PDA

View Full Version : Wd you give this for 4 yo twin boys for biday?

magnoliaparadise
01-30-2012, 12:11 AM
Tell me the truth, would you give this present to twin boys for their 4 year old birthday party: two boxes of 'Alex Toys: My Giant Busy Box'

http://www.amazon.com/Alex-Toys-Giant-Busy-Box/dp/B001AQDA50

My DD got it for a b-day present when she turned 3 and both of us loved it and later, when it went on sale, I bought a bunch of them as gifts. This has been my birthday go-to-present ever since and I gave two to twin girls who turned 5 and their mother raved about it and said it was one of her kids' favorite presents. Only I'm never sure whether to give them for boys or not... I just gave one to a 4 yo boy today - Do you think that they are too girly? Or is arts and crafts not a 'thing' most boys are interested in at that age? You can be honest...!

If you don't think they are good for boys, what would you get the twins? I find that shopping for 4 year old boys, especially twins, is hard! I can buy cars, but they probably have them already and even the coolest cars are starting to seem a bit young for this age group... and the fact that they are twins makes it harder.

I used to buy these very cool Monster Trucks for about $20-$25 full price which came four to a pack. I gave them to both girls and boys and everyone loved them - I could buy two of these boxes for the twins, but I think that this toy is more for 2 or 3 year olds, no?

http://www.amazon.com/Creativity-For-Kids-1160-Monster/dp/B006VXCNSW/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1327896152&sr=8-9

One other possibility is to ask the boys' moms if they have geo trax yet and buy that for them? I'd just buy one expensive big one (like $60-70 - it's a very very nice birthday party with a huge event) for both kids. My friends seem to love them. But maybe 4 is getting a bit old for them, as well.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Mom of two girls, DD1 almost 4 years and DD2 almost 4 months

Mermanaid
01-30-2012, 12:19 AM
If the boys are into drawing and crafts - absolutely. But if they are like my DS (who is now 4.5) - no. He is way into cars, nerf guns and super heros right now. I know that he would probably like a gift like that when we sat down to play it but it would get the toss aside upon initial opening.

Every kid is different but I am finding that lately my boy is begging for basics - kites, yo-yos, capes and squirt guns. He also loves the cars that launch and race and even remote control cars.

mypa
01-30-2012, 01:38 AM
While I think it's a great gift for most girls I know, I don't know many boys who would be interested, including DS. He is not or ever has been into crafts.

What about stomp rockets?

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_9?url=search-alias%3Dtoys-and-games&field-keywords=stomp+rocket&sprefix=stomp+roc%2Caps%2C231

elephantmeg
01-30-2012, 04:59 AM
my DS loves crafts! I love that it is something everyone can do. I would give it without hesitation

Pennylane
01-30-2012, 08:40 AM
If you are unsure, just ask the mom! I am always happy to give out suggestions. My 4 yr old DS was not into crafts, so he wouldn't get much enjoyment out of the box.

Ann

elbenn
01-30-2012, 11:59 AM
I think they would make great gifts for 4 year old boys.

amybds
01-30-2012, 12:15 PM
As a mom of almost 4-year-old boy twins, I would second the stomp rockets. They love them. They also love Imaginext stuff. There are planes that might make a good gift, or the rocket if you wanted to give a joint gift.

I still have an Alex craft kit from a year ago that we don't use much, though that's as much because I'm not into crafts as anything else. They definitely don't ask to do crafts, though.

magnoliaparadise
01-31-2012, 06:28 PM
Thanks, everyone. These comments are really helpful.

Mypa and Amybds, about the stomp rockets: are they mainly for outdoors? They look great (and I love that they are on sale at Amazon), but we all live in NYC and space is at a minimum and no one has backyards so if they are mainly for outdoors, or if they take a lot of space, the parents won't love those. But otherwise, I'll definitely buy them!

Thanks!

edurnemk
01-31-2012, 06:34 PM
DS got one of these Alex boxes for his 4th bday and loved it. It provided everal hours of fun during cold rainy days. He's all about running, and cars and super heroes but he also loves drawing and crafts.

As a mom I love this kind of present, because, they use it and when they're done, they're done and it's not yet a another toy taking up space in our house.

amybds
01-31-2012, 06:41 PM
Definitely an outside toy, unfortunately.

JTsMom
01-31-2012, 06:51 PM
Both of my boys love crafts, and would also love trucks.

jenstring95
01-31-2012, 10:47 PM
I agree with PP - ask one of his parents, if possible. My DS (6) got that box when he turned either 3 or 4, and it was hands down his favorite gift. But, to this day he says he wants to be an artist, so his view may be skewed. ;)

magnoliaparadise
02-01-2012, 10:09 PM
Thanks for all your great advice, everyone.
I will write to the mom, with some of your suggestions, and see what she says.
I'll let you know because now I'm curious!

michlyn
02-01-2012, 11:09 PM
My boys will be four in a few weeks, and they definitely do not have the temperaments to sit and do crafts but it probably varies per kid. Let us know what she says!

magnoliaparadise
02-03-2012, 12:56 AM
Hi everyone,
I wrote to the mother today and this is what she said - the first sentence made me laugh because it is because of you, of course:

"for a mom of 2 girls, you know all the good boy stuff! i would say stomp rockets (my nephew has and the boys loved it) or imaginext toys--anything superhero--they're VERY into superheroes right now!"

The thing is, stomp rockets are for outdoors and we live in NYC (ie no private outside space and shared space might even be too crowded depending upon where - and it's winter), so I'm surprised she is ok with them. I think I'll buy the stomp rockets for my DD for her grandparents visits in the 'burbs and go for imaginext toys for the boys - do you have any suggestions of ones in particular your boys like?

THANKS!!!!! This is was super helpful.

michlyn
02-03-2012, 11:22 AM
My boys would looooove any of the superhero imaginext toys, batman and the like.

smilequeen
02-03-2012, 11:43 AM
At that age, my boys loved to do arts and crafts just as much as they loved their cars/trains/knights/superhero toys.

My 7 year old wouldn't be into it anymore, but my 4.5 year old...totally.