PDA

View Full Version : Did AF siginificantly change after first pregnancy and baby? (TMI post)

momm
01-30-2012, 09:14 AM
My first AF (after two years, pregnancy+breastfeeding) is super heavy and lots of side-effects (headaches) that I didn't have earlier, pre-pregnancy. Is that regular?

Poll coming for easier responses!

egoldber
01-30-2012, 09:17 AM
Not so much with my first child, but with each subsequent pregnancy, my periods have become heavier and heavier. Not fun.

trcy
01-30-2012, 09:19 AM
I was going to ask the same thing. AF is much worse for me since DD. I remember a friend saying the same thing after she had her DC.

wendibird22
01-30-2012, 09:58 AM
Basically the same after each DD.

And love the "other" option LOL!

lizzywednesday
01-30-2012, 10:08 AM
I've noted heavier flow, more cramping and spotting a few days before it officially begins.

I remember my mom's periods being incredibly heavy (TMI ALERT: as in there were times when all she could manage was sitting in the bathtub) when I was younger, too.

This cycle, I'm taking Evening Primrose Oil gelcaps to see if it'll help with the cramping. (If it does, I'll let you know.)

AngB
01-30-2012, 10:16 AM
My first period after having DS was SO HEAVY I called my dr after 2 days and they made me come in. (Sorry for the tmi but i was going through like a heavy flow pad an hour.) They checked it out and ordered bloodwork for pregnancy (in case it was a m/c), anemia, and of course my throid- all normal. They wanted me to take ibprofen to help slow it down.

marymoo86
01-30-2012, 10:24 AM
Don't know yet. Endo sufferer so I hope it doesnt get worse. Still waiting for regularity. First cycle back in mid Dec and just started my 2nd, so about
6 weeks between. Have been 26-28 days like clockwork....

JBaxter
01-30-2012, 10:29 AM
You need and Other ;) Mine changed but only no cramps. Still heavy and 7 days but much less painful

KLD313
01-30-2012, 11:07 AM
Mine was heavier at first but then it got back to normal. However, I do have thyroid disease so it could have been that. The first period after having DD was awful.

BabyBearsMom
01-30-2012, 11:10 AM
I think the first cycle is always crazy, but it starts to normalize with time. I only had 7 cycles between AF coming back after DD1 and getting pregnant with DD2, but I noticed that by #6 and #7 my flow was still heavier but the cramping/headaches/miserable part of it had ebbed a little bit.

buddyleebaby
01-30-2012, 11:14 AM
I didn't have a period between dd1 and dd2, and I really can't remember after dd2. My first 3-4 cycles after ds was born were pretty uncomfortable (pain wise), but then things went back to normal.

maestramommy
01-30-2012, 02:15 PM
Mine definitely changed. My cycles were much longer, never the same length, and much heavier. I really have no idea at what day of the cycle I ovulated before I got pregnant the second time. It was day 37 before I started feeling funky and got tested.

Since DD2 was born my cycles have been on the dot or a day or two early. Still heavier than they used to be though, at least the first 2-3 days.

klwa
01-30-2012, 02:34 PM
There were some changes after DS was born. AF was actually lighter for me. And the timing was different (35 day cycles instead of 28). After DD, my cycle just got all whacked out. Much lighter than before, and no standard timing (anywhere from 14 to 50 days.)

twowhat?
01-30-2012, 02:51 PM
LOL thyroid:)

Mine changed for sure. It's WAY heavier, but only on the front end (first 2 days), as if everything gushes out over those 2 days instead of being spread out over 5-6 like it used to pre-kids. The other differences - I rarely get cramps now. And I only get a several-hour warning before the gushing (pre-kids I'd spot for an entire day, plenty of warning!). And no more GI symptoms.

I can't complain.

shawnandangel
01-30-2012, 02:55 PM
Longer inbetween. 40-45 days per period - was about 30-35 days. I was never like clockwork.
Cramps are worse
Flow is heavier

swissair81
01-30-2012, 03:47 PM
Flow is about the same. Cramping is much better. My terrible GI symptoms are much better too. My cycles got much more irregular though- like between 40-48 days. I don't like that part at all.

elizabethkott
01-30-2012, 04:24 PM
Holy carp. I'm on my third cycle after stopping bf-ing Stevie.
The first one was like the floodgates of hell, with horrible, HORRIBLE headaches.
The second one was very very light - enough to require "something", but nothing bad. Also with the headaches.
This time around, again like the first cycle. FLOODGATES. Horrible migranes. Plus crampy.
NOT. FUN.
My cycles seem to be more regular, though!

essnce629
01-30-2012, 04:57 PM
I'd say definately heavier, but I was on the regular combo pill before having kids and that made my period very light (sometimes only needing a panty liner).

I have less cramps now after DS2, but more lower back pain. I take a lot of fish oil supplements, which is a natural blood thinner, and I noticed I have less clots now which used to make my cramps worse.

YouAreTheFocus
01-30-2012, 05:10 PM
LOL thyroid:)

Mine changed for sure. It's WAY heavier, but only on the front end (first 2 days), as if everything gushes out over those 2 days instead of being spread out over 5-6 like it used to pre-kids. The other differences - I rarely get cramps now. And I only get a several-hour warning before the gushing (pre-kids I'd spot for an entire day, plenty of warning!). And no more GI symptoms.

I can't complain.

This is my experience as well. Super heavy for 2 days, then down to barely anything for maybe 2 more, whereas used to be evenly spread for the duration. It is also much more regular, used to be 35-50 days, now monthly. And my horrible GI stuff is gone, too.