PDA

View Full Version : What are you reading?

JBaxter
01-30-2012, 10:31 AM
I just started the Psy-Changeling series by Nalini Singh. Slave to Sensation is the first book. Really liking it.
http://www.amazon.com/Slave-Sensation-Psy-Changelings-Book-ebook/dp/B0023EF9H0/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1327933006&sr=1-1

Twoboos
01-30-2012, 10:35 AM
A Game of Thrones. I am about 1/3 through the first book. I totally get the hype.

Only 3500 more pages to go in the series! :wink2:

♥ms.pacman♥
01-30-2012, 10:39 AM
I just finished reading Sarah's Key. I think i read it in three days, i was at the edge of my seat reading it! Great book.

anamika
01-30-2012, 10:59 AM
Just finished Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day (http://www.amazon.com/Miss-Pettigrew-Lives-Persephone-Classics/dp/190646202X)

Charming book - just a nice light read.

Now in the middle of "I want to buy a vowel (http://www.amazon.com/Want-Buy-Vowel-John-Welter/dp/0425160815/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1327935458&sr=1-1)" and The Brief and Frightening Reign of Phil (http://www.amazon.com/Brief-Frightening-Reign-Phil/dp/1594481520/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1327935503&sr=1-1) and Bitten from the Otherworld series.

twowhat?
01-30-2012, 10:59 AM
I just finished Henrietta Lacks and The Help (yes, I am behind!) and am reading The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (yes, behind!!), which is taking me a lot longer to work through because of the extra brainpower it requires. I was never good at keeping characters and timelines straight. Especially with the foreign names, cities, countries, and currencies:)

KHF
01-30-2012, 11:01 AM
Just finished book 3 of the Scanguards vampire series and already bought book 4. I think it may have even been on your recommendation, JBaxter? I have some of Nailini Singh's books on my Goodreads to-read list because when I read the anthology Must Love Hellhounds, I really liked her story. (That's how I get ideas for new authors...besides recommendations here.) It's how I found Ilona Andrews...and I can't get enough of her (well hers and his...it's a husband/wife writing team) books.

lizzywednesday
01-30-2012, 11:06 AM
Currently "live" on my Nook: Island of the Sequined Love Nun (have yet to start it, though ... it's Christopher Moore, which means it's probably completely screwed up)

Just finished ...

... the first 17 Stephanie Plum novels, but I think I need to get the sidebar ones (Plum Lovin', etc.) just to fuel the addiction. Total brain-candy, but I loved every one ... of course, I live near the areas mentioned in the books (Quakerbridge Mall is not far from my house) so I get a fuzzy mental map of the towns, too.

... 11/22/63: A Novel (Stephen King) ... not your "typical" Stephen King, though there are a couple of "cameo" appearances by locations, events and people from It, Carrie (location only) and Christine ("character" only) that may be unsettling for some people. (I found that section to be unsettling myself, but I also have an overactive imagination.)

... The Help ... yes, it's been recommended/discussed here at length. I'm very interested in trying to attend a lecture/screening at my alma mater in a few weeks, but have to figure out if I really can spend the money.

I'm also looking for new recommendations before I resort to re-reading the Harry Potter books!

weech
01-30-2012, 11:09 AM
I just finished Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See and now I'm reading Dreams of Joy by Lisa See. I've really taken a liking to her books.

Next up is the Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot.

american_mama
01-30-2012, 11:09 AM
I just joined a book club in November, so this is my first chance to feel like a participator in these threads.

I just finished "Freedom" for the book club and would welcome any thoughts on it. It went downhill for me, once I realized I was saddled the whole book with these unlikable characters.

I have "World Without End" by Ken Follet checked out and am sure it will hold my interest, but it's very long, as was Freedom, and I'm not a person who juggles books. It may have to wait until a book club month with a short, easy book.

Despite a cover that turns me off, that Miss Pettigrew book looks interesting, as does the story of the author and the making of the audio book.

JBaxter
01-30-2012, 11:16 AM
Just finished book 3 of the Scanguards vampire series and already bought book 4. I think it may have even been on your recommendation, JBaxter? I have some of Nailini Singh's books on my Goodreads to-read list because when I read the anthology Must Love Hellhounds, I really liked her story. (That's how I get ideas for new authors...besides recommendations here.) It's how I found Ilona Andrews...and I can't get enough of her (well hers and his...it's a husband/wife writing team) books.

I did. I liked that series. Check out the psy-changelings if you like the whole paranomal writing~

boolady
01-30-2012, 11:26 AM
I'm almost finished Catherine the Great, by Robert Massie, and next up is Iphigenia in Forest Hills: Anatomy of a Murder Trial, by Janet Malcolm. Before that, I read a few books I've wanted to read for a while but hadn't:

Noah's Compass, by Anne Tyler
The Lovely Bones, by Alice Sebold (can't believe I never read it before this fall)
Great House, by Nicole Krauss
The Invisible Ones, by Stef Penney

DH gets to bring me advance reader copies of books from work, so I've also already read a few that are coming out this spring, including The Gilly Salt Sisters, by Tiffany Baker (author of The Little Giant of Aberdeen County). I'll have to go home and try to remember what else I read this fall.

lizzywednesday
01-30-2012, 11:26 AM
I just finished Henrietta Lacks and The Help (yes, I am behind!) and am reading The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (yes, behind!!), which is taking me a lot longer to work through because of the extra brainpower it requires. I was never good at keeping characters and timelines straight. Especially with the foreign names, cities, countries, and currencies:)

Dragon Tattoo is worth the slog. If you need to, try keeping a readers' journal to get stuff straight in your head. Or, if a journal isn't something you feel like you can manage, draw a taxonomy/family tree.

I used to do that (obsessively) with the Anne Rice vampire novels to keep track of which vamp begat which other vamps. Yes, I am strange. :bag

boolady
01-30-2012, 11:29 AM
Dragon Tattoo is worth the slog.

I agree. I didn't think I'd get as into them as I did, but it was worth it.

twowhat?
01-30-2012, 11:43 AM
Dragon Tattoo is worth the slog. If you need to, try keeping a readers' journal to get stuff straight in your head. Or, if a journal isn't something you feel like you can manage, draw a taxonomy/family tree.

I used to do that (obsessively) with the Anne Rice vampire novels to keep track of which vamp begat which other vamps. Yes, I am strange. :bag

This is not a bad idea. I might have to, in order to make it through the series. I can only read about 30-45 min before I start nodding off, so the problem is that the next time I pick up the book I find myself flipping back to remember who/what it is I was reading about!!!

buddyleebaby
01-30-2012, 11:47 AM
I recently finished Safe Haven by Nicholas Sparks, and *just* finished Best Friends Forever by Jennifer Weiner.

Tomorrow I am starting the Hunger Games series, I have been on the waiting list at library and it's finally my turn.

I am currently on the waiting list for The Litigators by John Grisham, and The Marriage Plot by Jeffrey Eugenides.

I want to read The Midwife's Confession by Diane Chamberlain but the library doesn't have it. I may have to suck it up and buy that one.

zag95
01-30-2012, 11:48 AM
Just started the Family Fang- last night. Pretty good so far!

Prior to that, I finish Janet Evanovich #18, which was entertaining! Next on the list is the Immortal Life of Henrietta Lack.

pb&j
01-30-2012, 11:49 AM
I just finished 1Q84 (http://www.amazon.com/1Q84-Haruki-Murakami/dp/0307593312/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327938552&sr=8-1) which was really weird and creepy, but I liked it enough to finish all 900+ pages in a couple of weeks. When it was originally released in Japan, it was released as a trilogy. If I hadn't had it on loan from the library, I definitely would have taken a break between each of the books.

ETA: Before Xmas, I read and loved Ready Player One (http://www.amazon.com/Ready-Player-One-Ernest-Cline/dp/030788743X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327938658&sr=8-1). Knowledge of and appreciation for 80's culture, videogames, and/or role playing games is a prerequisite for maximum enjoyment.

pb&j
01-30-2012, 11:54 AM
I want to read The Midwife's Confession by Diane Chamberlain but the library doesn't have it. I may have to suck it up and buy that one.

I'm not sure about your library, but my library has an online form where you can request that they purchase recent books. I've never had a request turned down, and as an added bonus, if you suggest it first, you're the first on the hold list when it's finally available. It usually takes a couple of months, but it's worth the wait.

lil_acorn
01-30-2012, 12:05 PM
1/4 way through game of thrones (though I've just marathon'ed my way through the tv series). I usually prefer reading the book before viewing but it helps with keeping all the characters striaght.

Also recently read;
The Help - enjoyed this one and need to check out the movie
The Book Thief - this was an excellent book
Honeymooon - James Patterson fluff book,not worth the read
Diane Keaton's autobiography - only so so
Water for Elephants - enjoyed this one and need to watch the movie

buddyleebaby
01-30-2012, 12:10 PM
I'm not sure about your library, but my library has an online form where you can request that they purchase recent books. I've never had a request turned down, and as an added bonus, if you suggest it first, you're the first on the hold list when it's finally available. It usually takes a couple of months, but it's worth the wait.

That's awesome. I don't *think* my library does that, but I am going to poke around the website a bit more. Thanks for the tip.

ilfaith
01-30-2012, 12:17 PM
I am currently reading Kingdom of Ohio of my book club.
http://www.amazon.com/Kingdom-Ohio-Matthew-Flaming/dp/0399155600
I'm not really loving it though. I do have a stack of other books I am wanting to read, but won't allow myself to begin until I finish Ohio.

Kindra178
01-30-2012, 12:19 PM
Some of recent favs:

Mindy Kaling's new book (she's on The Office). Literally laugh out loud funny. It's very different from Tina Fey's book. The Kaling book will most likely appeal to men and women, while Bossypants (which I loved) probably is geared toward a female audience.

Invisible Bridge. It's about Hungary and a family of Hungarian Jews in the years leading up to WWII and during WWII. I literally couldn't put it down. I didn't know much about Hungary prior to this and was pleased about this book's historical accuracy.

Zeitoun. I am NOT a Dave Eggers fan, even though I have read all of his books. This book was fantastic. The fact that it was written about an American citizen and his subsequent treatment in the days following Katrina was beyond astounding.

So disappointed in Michael Pollan's latest. Total waste of money for me. I love him generally but this book is not worth your time. I read it one two sittings in one day (including a twenty minute train ride).

mommylamb
01-30-2012, 12:23 PM
A Game of Thrones. I am about 1/3 through the first book. I totally get the hype.

I'm very jealous. I read those last summer/fall and loved them... and hating that I have to wait for who knows how long for the next book to come out.

I actually just started a short story by George R.R. Martin that takes place in the 7 kingdoms, but about 90 years before the 1st Song of Ice and Fire book, so kind of a prequel to that series.

I just finished reading the first 2 books in the Kingkiller Chronicles (The Name of the Wind and Wise Man's Fear), and if you like the Song of Ice and Fire Books, and are looking for something of a similar genre, but also excellent, give them a shot.

jren
01-30-2012, 12:52 PM
Currently reading The House at Riverton. For all you Downton Abbey fans...

fauve01
01-30-2012, 01:22 PM
I'm in the middle of We Need to Talk about Kevin. I've been wanting to read it for years, and now that it's a movie I want to read it before i see it. It's difficult but facinating.

Before that, I finished The Night Circus, which i LOVED! It's so different! and well written. Before that I read The Widower's Tale (which i liked but not as much as her previous Three Junes -- LOVED) and Shelter Me, also loved.

GOing to start THe School of Essential Ingredients or the Tiger's Wife, both I just picked up from the library. I"m waiting for Honolulu because I loved Molokai by the same author.

I'm one of the few that HATED the Henrietta Lacks book--had to read it for book club last summer.

I love these book threads!! :heartbeat:

pb&j
01-30-2012, 01:24 PM
Diane Keaton's autobiography - only so so

Jeez, I couldn't get past the first couple of chapters - I thought it was awful. Not just "entry-level ghostwriter bad" but "practically unreadable" bad. Maybe it got better?

Meatball Mommie
01-30-2012, 01:42 PM
I just finished reading Sarah's Key. I think i read it in three days, i was at the edge of my seat reading it! Great book.

This one has been on my "To Read" list for a while...I've heard good things, but just haven't gotten around to it yet...

... the first 17 Stephanie Plum novels, but I think I need to get the sidebar ones (Plum Lovin', etc.) just to fuel the addiction. Total brain-candy, but I loved every one ... of course, I live near the areas mentioned in the books (Quakerbridge Mall is not far from my house) so I get a fuzzy mental map of the towns, too.

Too funny! I've been to that mall so many times! My mom grew up in Trenton and my grandmother lived there her whole life. My mom used to love reading her books because she knew all the places :)

I totally had to do this too. I had little note cards with the "cast" list ;)

Titles I've read recently:

-Please Stop Laughing at Me by Jodee Blanco *excellent true story about bullying.
-The Year Everything Changed by Georgia Bockoven
-The Maze Runner trilogy by James Dashner *excellent if you liked the Hunger Games series, which I've also read
-Riding the Bus With My Sister by Rachel Simon ***excellent!
-Friendship Bread by Darien Gee *nice story about women
-Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand ****5 star read (book club choice)
-Ozzy (biography) *good read ;)

Currently reading:
100 Cupboards by Nathan Wilson *YA, so far, so good :)

Up on Deck:
Rin Tin Tin: The Life & The Legend by Susan Orlean (Feb Book Club selection)
Elizabeth Street by Laurie Fabiano (March Book Club selection)

artvandalay
01-30-2012, 01:50 PM
I just finished Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See and now I'm reading Dreams of Joy by Lisa See. I've really taken a liking to her books.

Her books are amazing! And the amount of research she must do for those books is pretty impressive.

I just finished Garden Spells (which I read because of a recommendation from one of you guys).. it was really good. Also finished up the Hunger Games trilogy recently.

Was going to start GWADT, but DH and I ended up seeing it this weekend. I think I'll just hold off on the rest of the series and just wait for the movies (I assume they are making them?)

Not sure what I'll read yet... perhaps Unbroken.

babystuffbuff
01-30-2012, 01:51 PM
Before that, I finished The Night Circus, which i LOVED! It's so different! and well written.

YES!!!! I'm in the middle of it (listening, actually, because I have a commute and not much reading time right now) and it is the most wonderful story. Very well written, as PP said, and definitely unique. The love story develops slowly but deliciously and the characters' emotions will take your breath away. Almost makes me look forward to sitting in traffic. ;)

hellokitty
01-30-2012, 01:52 PM
I just finished reading, "Still Alice" by Lisa Genova. This was a very good book, even though it was about a very sad topic (early onset alzheimers). It is written from the POV of the character who has the alzheimers.

I am about to start, "Mississippi Mud: Southern Justice and the Dixie Mafie," by Edward Humes. This is supposed to be a real life story and I am interested in this story, b/c a family member knows someone IRL who was involved in this.

artvandalay
01-30-2012, 01:59 PM
I just finished reading, "Still Alice" by Lisa Genova. This was a very good book, even though it was about a very sad topic (early onset alzheimers). It is written from the POV of the character who has the alzheimers.

I read this... so good, but agree it was so sad. I didn't know much about early onset alzheimers (didn't realize you could get it so young.)

maestramommy
01-30-2012, 01:59 PM
One of the Lucky Ones. Autobiography about a blind girl growing up in China, then Hong Kong. Just started it last night, and it was hard to put down!

pastrygirl
01-30-2012, 02:03 PM
Black Like Me -- it was a Kindle deal yesterday.

Just got the notice that The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks kindle book is now available from my library, so I'll be starting that one soon.

After that, it's Hunger Games.

ellies mom
01-30-2012, 02:58 PM
I am slowly working my way through the Silmarilian by JRR Tolkien.

Yesterday, I downloaded a five book collection of GK Chesterton's Father Brown stories for 99 cents. One of my favorite authors (Neil Gaiman) recently wrote about the three authors who were big influences on him. Chesterton was the only one I hadn't read so I decided to give it a try.

rlu
01-30-2012, 03:30 PM
Another absolutely enchanted with The Night Circus, about halfway through. Next up is Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close. Feb book club selection is the Persian Pickle Club.

Books waiting to be read - the first two Corduroy Mansions books (Alexander Mccall Smith) and Mists of Avalon (initially read ages ago).

Recently re-read Enders Game.

I'm reading the Hank the Cowdog series to DS - think John Wayne as a dog. DH and I get a kick out of it.

One writer I had to stop reading was Sharyn McCrumb - her books are haunting. The last book by her I read was She Walks These Hills. It was so good but horrifying and haunting (I read it years ago now and still ache to think about it - sorry about the repetition of haunting but really that word best sums her work). I also enjoyed her book The Ballad of Frankie Silver, but again, sad.

Jo..
01-30-2012, 03:39 PM
"Build it Right".

totally wish I was reading something else.:p

DietCokeLover
01-30-2012, 04:14 PM

The movie is well done as well. Very very close to the book.

essnce629
01-30-2012, 04:31 PM
"Sector C" which I got for free on my Kindle! It's about a prion disease, similar to Mad Cow Disease, that spreads in both animals and humans and is causing an epidemic/pandemic. I've never been a fiction reader, but it was free and I like reading stuff about diseases so it suits me.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005K4W0QS

♥ms.pacman♥
01-30-2012, 04:34 PM

That's good, I am curious about seeing the movie too. we are discussing this book in our moms group and we will probably watch the movie as well.

BabyH
01-30-2012, 04:46 PM
I'm currently not reading anything right now. But I will be, considering I just sent about 95% of the suggestions from this thread as samples to my Kindle ;)

tny915
01-30-2012, 04:55 PM
GOing to start THe School of Essential Ingredients

This is waiting for me on my nightstand. I really liked Joy for Beginners, by the same author.

I'm reading Major Pettigrew's Last Stand. I've also started Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close.

Momit
01-30-2012, 05:25 PM
I'm also a little behind the times, having just finished The Help, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, and The Girl Who Played with Fire. All very good.

Also recently finished Unbroken, which was incredibly good.

Currently reading Explosive Eighteen (Stephanie Plum series).

dogmom
01-30-2012, 05:30 PM
Believe it or not, Moby Dick. I never read it and I'm enjoying it. I also read Anna Karina around Christmas. I hadn't read it since college and it felt so different reading it as a married middle aged woman. The Friends of Eddie Coyle is next on my list because I never saw the movie and want to read the book first. I figured I should read it to mark my 25 anniversary of moving to the Boston area.

swissair81
01-30-2012, 05:58 PM
I don't know how to do the bag
emoticon on my phone, but Little Men.

fauve01
01-30-2012, 06:01 PM
Believe it or not, Moby Dick. I never read it and I'm enjoying it. .

If you're enjoying Moby Dick, I'd recommend you check out Ahab's Wife. I read it this past summer and really enjoyed it. It's not really much to do with Moby Dick, but Ahab figures into part of it. it's the life story of the woman who becomes his wife.
http://www.amazon.com/Ahabs-Wife-Star-gazer-Novel-P-S/dp/B005EP2310/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1327960754&sr=1-1

Kindra178
01-30-2012, 06:03 PM
[QUOTE=fauve01;3412885]

I'm one of the few that HATED the Henrietta Lacks book--had to read it for book club last summer.

QUOTE]

Why didn't you like it?

MelissaTC
01-30-2012, 06:10 PM
The Art of Racing in the Rain
The Devil in the Junior League
The Dovekeepers

I am always reading a couple of books at a time.

MichelleRC
01-30-2012, 06:21 PM
I usually have 2 or 3 books going at once.

Ds2 and I are reading the 39 Clues series, which we are both thoroughly enjoying.
On my Kindle, I just finished School Success for Kids with Aspergers, and am currently reading Dixie Divas by Virginia Brown, which is total fluff, but entertaining.
On my nightstand, I am 2/3 of the way through Sea of Monsters (2nd in the Percy Jackson series).
Sitting next to me on my desk is A visit from the Goon Squad. Have not started it yet.

kcimato
01-30-2012, 07:30 PM
I am currently reading Saving CeCe Honeycutt by Beth Hoffman. A nice light read.

The two previous books I read we're
One Thousand White Women by Jim Fergus and
The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom

They have now become my favorite reads along with The Help.

fauve01
01-31-2012, 04:58 AM
Why didn't you like it?

I don't usually like nonfiction. i found this book well-researched but incredibly tedious. It was way too long! definitely needed a better editor. Some of the oral history parts were OK; the science parts were too much like a dry lecture. i also thought the book skipped around way too much, and i thought the author seemed condescending. All JMHO. It's 5 hours of my life i won't get back. :wink2:

new_mommy25
01-31-2012, 05:12 AM
Just finished The Bourne Identity which I loved. It was different from the movie and very exciting. Picked it up on a whim from Costco as I catch the bus and like light paperbacks. I'm starting to reconsider my stance on e-readers. :) Will be watching this thread for ideas on what to read next. On my list are the new Diana Gabaldon and Micheal Crichton. I need to put my name on the list at the library for those.

lizzywednesday
01-31-2012, 09:00 AM
If you're enjoying Moby Dick, I'd recommend you check out Ahab's Wife. I read it this past summer and really enjoyed it. It's not really much to do with Moby Dick, but Ahab figures into part of it. it's the life story of the woman who becomes his wife.
http://www.amazon.com/Ahabs-Wife-Star-gazer-Novel-P-S/dp/B005EP2310/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1327960754&sr=1-1

Wow, there's a real variance of taste in this thread - I read Ahab's Wife and I absolutely despised it, but I did appreciate Moby Dick despite having to read it for a college literary theory class. (The course was called "Literature, Theology and Theory" and explored the ways our literary traditions are influenced by our cultures' theology. It was a great course that could have been even better if the professor's husband hadn't been ill that semester, so she was a bit more scattered than she normally is, but it's still, hands-down, one of THE best courses I ever took.)

kboyle
01-31-2012, 05:10 PM
currently on book 7 of 10 in Black Dagger Brotherhood series (http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/297224-black-dagger-brotherhood-books-and-reading-order)

up ahead:
Girl with Dragon Tattoo series...I have all 3 from library right now so need to get on it before they are due back.

i also have
James Patterson's newest book: Private #1 Suspect from library that needs to be read
Cinder (http://www.amazon.com/Cinder-Book-Lunar-Chronicles-ebook/dp/B005KJJ4F8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1328044124&sr=8-3) which is a futuristic Cinderella type YA Book.
and then a slew of books that JBaxter keeps sending me...so what she's reading now is after all these :) lol
and since i saw the movie One for the Money i need to actually finish books 16-18, feelin' some Plum Lovin ;)

lil_acorn
01-31-2012, 05:19 PM
Jeez, I couldn't get past the first couple of chapters - I thought it was awful. Not just "entry-level ghostwriter bad" but "practically unreadable" bad. Maybe it got better?

No it really didn't get much better lol. I guess I kept reading thinking it would. The good part is I am a fast reader so I was done with it in a few days and onto the next book. I am hoping John Lithgow's autobiography is much better.

Gena
01-31-2012, 05:27 PM
I recently finished Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood. I enjoyed it, even though I found it disturbing. It had been a while since I've read fiction.

I'm currently reading Thinking About YOU Thinking About ME by Michelle garcia Winner (teaching perspective taking to kids with social impairments).

I'm also re-reading From Emotions to Advocay:The Special Education Survival Guide by Peter and Pamela Wright.

wellyes
01-31-2012, 05:32 PM
I *loved* Ahab's Wife. There is a bit in the middle that gave me absolute chills.

Mindy Kaling's new book (she's on The Office). Literally laugh out loud funny. It's very different from Tina Fey's book. The Kaling book will most likely appeal to men and women, while Bossypants (which I loved) probably is geared toward a female audience.

I hated Mindy Kaling's book! So disappointing since I really enjoyed her old blog, Things I've Bought That I Love, back in the day. And she is probably my favorite Office writer. But -- she grew up in Cambridge, very successful in boarding school, very successful in an Ivy League college, very successful moving to NY, becoming a network page, then a comedy writer. Mindy's message is if you are smart and lucky and work hard you will succeed. Fine, true, but not funny. Tina Fey is no less accomplished but had that quality of self-deprecation and approachability.

Mopey
01-31-2012, 05:48 PM

I also read Sarah's Key and loved it, but although the movie was very well done, I was really frustrated because nearly every single scene happens differently than in the book. The story is the same but I was so captivated by the flow of the writing and how things happened I just don't know why they change the details.

I think I read & saw them too close together (it didn't bother my Mom or Sis the same) but I am also one of those people who always wonders why "they" have to change perfectly good scenarios around in the movies (this is also why I realized I like the American version of "dragon tattoo" better than the Swedish - more details even though they changed a few others). Sometimes I totally see the point but in this movie I didn't get it. IMHO :)

Sorry for the tangent - reading "The Dovekeepers" by Alice Hoffman. Was a present and am loving it!

tribe pride
01-31-2012, 06:40 PM
I don't know how to do the bag
emoticon on my phone, but Little Men.

That was one of my favorites growing up! And I still love reading children's books- currently a huge fan of Christopher Paul Curtis' work.

Recently finished:
Death Comes to Pemberley (an enjoyable "sequel" to Pride and Prejudice)
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (a really fun read)
The Grapes of Wrath (LOVED it; one of the most thought-provoking novels I've read)

Currently reading:
The Bonfire: The Siege and Burning of Atlanta

mjs64
01-31-2012, 07:14 PM

This, except I'm halfway through book 2. As always, the book beats the filmic version by a mile.

mjs64
01-31-2012, 07:18 PM
I just joined a book club in November, so this is my first chance to feel like a participator in these threads.

I just finished "Freedom" for the book club and would welcome any thoughts on it. It went downhill for me, once I realized I was saddled the whole book with these unlikable characters.

I have "World Without End" by Ken Follet checked out and am sure it will hold my interest, but it's very long, as was Freedom, and I'm not a person who juggles books. It may have to wait until a book club month with a short, easy book.

Despite a cover that turns me off, that Miss Pettigrew book looks interesting, as does the story of the author and the making of the audio book.

Oh no! I loved Freedom and thought the characters were complex and realized and much more likeable than in some of franzens other work, esp the corrections.

Trigglet
01-31-2012, 07:43 PM
Just finished A Visit from the Goon Squad - very unusual and enjoyable. A light read, but fun. It was a secret santa gift.

Just got back from the library and have replenished my nightstand with some Alexander McCall-Smith (again a nice light read, but well-written) and a couple of books of travel writing (Driving over Lemons and A Good Year) because we're seriously considering jacking our jobs in and buying a wreck in France!!

mommyp
02-01-2012, 03:14 AM
Currently reading The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern.

I'll have to go back and look through this thread for some more ideas!

pakin
02-01-2012, 09:03 AM
Recently finished:
Janet Evanovich's Smokin' Seventeen and Explosive Eighteen
They were OK. I have very low expectations for these books anyway.

Mindy Kaling's Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?
There were some funny stuff, but also a lot of not-so-funny fillers too.

All 5 Game of Thrones books.

Currently reading:
Cassandra Clare's Clockwork Prince (Infernal Devices)
I really like this series so far. I think it's better than her Mortal Instruments series.

Pakin
DS 4/2001
DD 6/2005