PDA

View Full Version : Do you always buy off the registry?

BabyBearsMom
01-30-2012, 12:25 PM
The wife of a good friend is having a baby. I am invited to the shower (not sure I am going or not though). I just went through the registry and the stuff on her list is...well...kind of crappy. I am certainly not close enough to make recommendations or anything like that, but I also don't want to spend money on stuff that I know will break or won't be used etc. Should I just suck it up and get over my own baby stuff snobbery and buy off the registry? Or should I go rogue and buy something that I know was super useful with DD?

SnuggleBuggles
01-30-2012, 12:36 PM
I try but don't stress if I don't if the items are crappy. :) I usually buy a token registry item then pad with better stuff.

mommylamb
01-30-2012, 12:37 PM
I think it's fine to go off registry. Just my opinion, but especially for first time moms, it can be nice to get things from people who know what they're doing. Include a gift receipt.

BDKmom
01-30-2012, 12:42 PM
I agree with the previous posts. I usually try to pick at least one thing off the registry, even if it's something simple, then fill in with products I found to be super useful. I remember as a first time mom, I loved getting things that I had never heard of but other moms recommended. But do include a gift receipt and try to buy from places you know are convenient to the couple so that exchange is easy if they get duplicates or want something else.

crl
01-30-2012, 12:57 PM
Nope. I never buy off the registry for babies. I get a pair of Robeez for babies and if they have older siblings, the sibs get books.

For weddings, we do usually buy off the registry although I'm not committed to that.

Catherine

newnana
01-30-2012, 01:00 PM
I agree with the previous posts. I usually try to pick at least one thing off the registry, even if it's something simple, then fill in with products I found to be super useful. I remember as a first time mom, I loved getting things that I had never heard of but other moms recommended. But do include a gift receipt and try to buy from places you know are convenient to the couple so that exchange is easy if they get duplicates or want something else.

This exactly. I didn't have any good mom friends, and certainly didn't know anybody of BBB research caliber when I was pregnant. Thank goodness for the book. So now if I see a registry like that, this is the MO I follow.

Green_Tea
01-30-2012, 01:05 PM
I do try to buy off the registry, mostly because even though the items might be choices I wouldn't make, I want to honor and respect the choices the new mom has made. Even if those choices stink.

erv917
01-30-2012, 01:45 PM
I wouldn't buy a "better" version of something they registered for (e.g. an Ergo instead of a Bjorn) because I do think that could come across as you trying to give unsolicited advice. However, I absolutely would (and have!) go off the registry to buy something else entirely. When I've looked at registries and though, "gee, they're going to regret a lot of those purchases," I've instead bought things that one needs several of and that aren't so subject to individual taste, e.g onesies/sleepers, board books/infant toys, robeez, etc.

BabbyO
01-30-2012, 01:51 PM
I often go off the registry, but I ALWAYS provide a gift receipt if I do. (I usually provide a gift receipt either way...but especially if you go off the registry or get something from the registry at another store).

Globetrotter
01-30-2012, 02:01 PM
If the stuff on the registry isn't any good, I would just buy something I found useful and give them a gift receipt.

iaam
01-30-2012, 03:08 PM
I do try to buy off the registry, mostly because even though the items might be choices I wouldn't make, I want to honor and respect the choices the new mom has made. Even if those choices stink.

:yeahthat:

weech
01-30-2012, 03:16 PM
I've gone off the registry before and recently bought for some friends/neighbors without a registry. I did a bag of smaller gifts which I called "DS's favorite things" - a favorite toy when he was a baby, favorite book, any mom favorites I had, etc. People seemed to really enjoy it, but I agree with definitely including gift receipts.

AngB
01-30-2012, 03:26 PM
I have a friend who had a not very good registry, I tried to tell her the things that worked well for us, but some of it is still blech. I have ended up getting her a 4 pack of A&A blankets -not on the registry and I bought for a good deal online months ago so she will have to deal with it or regift, plus some other things she did register for like a babyproofing kit (plus will probably regift some stuff myself- still have clothes with tags DS outgrew and I didn't have the receipt, etc. her boy is the same season. )

AnnieW625
01-30-2012, 03:42 PM

:yeahthat: People are so different when it comes to wants and needs. I left most of the expensive stuff off of my registry because I didn't want people to feel inclined that they had to buy me that stuff. I ended up buying that stuff with gift cards and the cash/checks we got as gifts. Also some people just aren't into spending lots of money on baby stuff either.

My girls lived in Gerber, Carter's, or Circo brand long sleeve onesies, pants and sleep n plays until they were about 3 months old. If I were to not get something off the registry I would get a Euro Tub by Primo, a Miracle Blanket Swaddling Blanket, or if it is really cute Baby Gap's layette is wonderful. I have also done Robeez in 3-6 mos. size.

veronica
01-30-2012, 03:49 PM
I wouldn't buy a "better" version of something they registered for (e.g. an Ergo instead of a Bjorn) because I do think that could come across as you trying to give unsolicited advice. However, I absolutely would (and have!) go off the registry to buy something else entirely. When I've looked at registries and though, "gee, they're going to regret a lot of those purchases," I've instead bought things that one needs several of and that aren't so subject to individual taste, e.g onesies/sleepers, board books/infant toys, robeez, etc.
yes to this.

I had a carefully thought out, small registry for the twins. One of my friends completely went off of it, but got one item from it, because it was on sale elswhere. The other person , who got it off the registry, was a bit annoyed/perplexed as to why I got multiples and I had to drive an hour to my mall area to return/exchange. big pain.

something off registry that they have not thought of is great though!

sntm
01-30-2012, 04:01 PM
For the most part, I'd go on registry. They may have reasons for wanting those items (whether they are ones we would choose or think are quality) and may have reasons for not listing other items. Maybe she already has a zillion blankets or plenty of clothes or whatever.

For me personally, I try to register for a variety of things (including some clothes since people always want to buy clothes), but frankly, I'm picky and last time both after wedding and DS#1, I ended up donating several items that I was never going to use. Some were good items - just not right for me. I was talking with a friend/colleague recently and luckily had this conversation as she was going to get me a Diaper Genie (her go-to gift) that I absolutely would not use (planning to cloth diaper this time and I know I would never keep enough refills on hand.)

Liziz
01-30-2012, 06:57 PM
As a soon-to-be first time mom who recently created a registry and has received gifts from it, I've appreciated it when people went off-registry, as long as it wasn't for "big" items.

I was totally clueless about creating a registry, and had a really hard time deciding what should really be included, what didn't matter, which brands were good, etc. For all the big stuff (carseat, stroller, etc.), I did a lot of research, and wouldn't have been thrilled to receive a different brand or model. But, a lot of friends have given me different types of smaller things -- i.e. - I registered for a particular type of sheets, and a friend gave me very similar ones from a different brand she knows is great. Or, we've received the "this wasn't on your registry, but it was a lifesaver for us..." gifts as well. I've loved those -- every baby is different, but nothing better than experienced parents to help you figure out what to try! I also *always* include gift receipts on any shower gifts too.

eagle
01-30-2012, 07:37 PM
i ALWAYS buy off of peoples registries.

sure maybe their tastes suck, but they took the time and effort to register so i just get them what they want. its my hard earned cash but what i want with the cash is for them to feel happy. even if what theyre getting is crap.

same for bridal registries. i use the registry and give em what they want.