PDA

View Full Version : I feel so much better now!

anonomom
01-30-2012, 01:13 PM
I had posted a few weeks ago about DD's trouble in kindergarten. In short, suddenly class work was being sent home unfinished and the teacher was writing notes about DD having trouble focusing. we were worried enough that we had a conference with the teacher and have set up a whole system of rewards/incentives/punishments to deal with what we were told was DD's poor classroom behavior.

I was in the classroom today for the first time since this all started, and what I saw made me feel so much better! Seems like the classroom environment has changed a lot from the first half of the year. Back then, the teachers didn't even check the kids' classroom work and/or note whether it was done. Today, the teacher asked all of the kids who hadn't finished show her their work. Fully 1/3 of the kids weren't done. At least two kids were using privacy screens and it's clear that there's a general discipline crackdown going on. DD was on computers today, and she didn't make a peep the whole time and seemed to be paying attention to what she was doing.

To be sure, DD (and I) have some work to do. She needs to be much better at sitting still, paying attention and doing her work without needing supervision. But her behavior didn't seem nearly as far from the norm as the teacher had led us to believe. I'm no longer worried about her being the class "problem child."

Uno-Mom
01-30-2012, 02:44 PM
How nice! Thanks for updating, it's great to hear a positive update about school challenges.

MamaMolly
01-30-2012, 02:51 PM
Great update. I wonder how much of DD's problems were actually classroom management/expectation management problems?