PDA

View Full Version : Seller's remorse on a house?

rorycam2
01-30-2012, 01:18 PM
We put our house on the market and it sold at full price in 2 weeks. We had many "good" reasons to sell, but I never expected it to happen so fast--realtor told us it would probably be 4 or 5 months. It closed end of last week and we are in a short term rental while we look for something else.

I know we are lucky to have sold so fast, but I'm very upset and filled with regret and cry every time I think about it. I just keep thinking we were wrong to sell it, we won't find anything else, and I hate the idea of other people in my house, as crazy as it sounds. We sold because the size and layout of the house just didn't work for us and the HOA had some restrictions we were tired of, but it is a beautiful looking house with built-ins and crown molding and gorgeous wood floors, and everything I look at online just looks ugly to me and I want to turn the clock back and not sell.

Anyone regret selling their house but end up happy elsewhere? I know I'm being overly dramatic and this is not the end of the world, but I never anticipated being this upset over it and I just can't seem to shake it. DH is eager to move on and doesn't understand me at all on this topic.

Twoboos
01-30-2012, 01:28 PM
I ended up feeling this way with BOTH houses we sold! With the first one, we didn't have anywhere to go (our purchase fell through) but we still went ahead with selling and lived with my mom for a few months.

With the next house - well, it's not sold yet, but we have moved. I regret it almost daily. (Even though I shouldn't! Our current house has so much more over the other one! I just wish the thing would SELL already.)

It's not that these houses were our "forever" homes, far from it. But a lot of things happened there and it can be hard to say goodbye. And yes I know how hokey that sounds!

You will find a better place, and think back and say, "I am so glad we are where we are now, it was worth it." ETA: plus you're in a great position now, when you find THE house you'll be able to jump on it since you know what you want and you don't have to sell.

MoJo
01-30-2012, 01:31 PM
No BTDT, but keep reminding yourself that the old house did NOT WORK for you, and that's more important than how beautiful it is.

Here's some mojo for the perfect house to come on the market really soon for you!

And, I know a LOT of people who would sell IF they knew they could. MANY people I know want to move but are afraid to list their homes just to have to keep them show-ready for nothing because the market has been so poor. If you know where you want to live, maybe you could search houses that are NOT on the market. Our county auditor's website lists many of the pertinent details, such as numbers of rooms, sizes of rooms, and actual diagrams of the layout of the houses. Maybe you could contact some of those homeowners to see if any are interested in selling? I've heard that recommended here before. Or maybe your realtor can find listings of houses that WERE listed then pulled without selling. . . IME, people who did that still WANT to sell, and may entertain lower offers just to avoid going through the whole waiting process.

twowhat?
01-30-2012, 01:37 PM
No BTDT, but keep reminding yourself that the old house did NOT WORK for you, and that's more important than how beautiful it is.Here's some mojo for the perfect house to come on the market really soon for you!

I think a lot of the reason you feel this way is that you haven't found the next house yet. But - you WILL. Then I think you'll feel better about it.

I miss our old house. I miss the built-ins, the beautiful details, the 36-inch cooktop, the plantation shutters, the updated fixtures, the totally organic lawn, the huge shade trees...but we really were feeling cramped in it. We drove by it this past weekend and I couldn't even bring myself to really look at it - I felt like I had violated it or something by moving to a new house (which has the floorplan we need, but has old fixtures, shoddily-installed flooring, crappy trees that we will have to cut down soon, etc). But I love the new place, it works much better for us. You will find that too.

elbenn
01-30-2012, 01:43 PM
I think when you find a new house you will feel better. I missed our old house too after we sold it. But you obviously knew it wasn't working for you when you listed it. As for all the new houses being not your cup of tea, remember that things look drastically different when you paint it your choice of colors, put in your furniture, and fill it with your things! You can always add in built-ins or other details if the house is too plain. Floor plan is much more important!

hellokitty
01-30-2012, 01:54 PM
I think when you find a new house you will feel better. I missed our old house too after we sold it. But you obviously knew it wasn't working for you when you listed it. As for all the new houses being not your cup of tea, remember that things look drastically different when you paint it your choice of colors, put in your furniture, and fill it with your things! You can always add in built-ins or other details if the house is too plain. Floor plan is much more important!

:yeahthat: I was upset to sell our first home, it had so much character, but DH relocated out of state for a new job, so we had to sell the house. I wish I could have moved it with us, lol. Once you find a new home, I think that your remorse will lessen. Have fun house shopping!

WatchingThemGrow
01-30-2012, 03:13 PM
I think the in-between stage where you're not really settled anywhere brings up a whole can of yucky wormy feelings. Just trust that the right house will pop up. (I'm totally going to be coming to your with this same advice in a couple months when we're between houses. Our choices are either unrenovated 1969 split levels or something twice the price of ours with 1/3 the space upgrade.)

I think you should focus on what you want to do with the new home, like make a Pinterest board with your favorite ideas!

kmkaull
01-30-2012, 04:18 PM
I think you should focus on what you want to do with the new home, like make a Pinterest board with your favorite ideas!

:yeahthat: We're in a rental now after relocating for my husband's new job. I looved our old house and am just tolerating this rental. Pinterest helps and I just emailed our realtor about possible builders in the area. Focus on the future!