PDA

View Full Version : Need quick wwyd: pumping at work

janine
01-30-2012, 03:49 PM
I'm pumping at work 2x a day. I usually bring 3 bottles (to pump into, one for storage). I forgot one and am down to 2 bottles. I must pump into for it to work. What should i do...i bought a shampoo travel container..but it is not sterile and probably full of BPA. Should I put it in hot water? I can't pump into the filled bottle b/c you're not supposed to mix hot with cold BM. Agh...no baby stores nearby an not enough time...

which is worst of the evils for storing bm and not hopint it's not contaminated?

Drag0nflygirl
01-30-2012, 03:52 PM
I'd pump into a filled one. In fact I've done exactly that for the same reason.

AnnieW625
01-30-2012, 03:56 PM
I would do that too. It is not like you are heating it up directly from the shampoo bottle. Just put it in a new bottle once you have sterilized that bottle has coiled down.

AngB
01-30-2012, 03:56 PM
or maybe 2 new ziplocks bags? (double bag to prevent leaking..) not ideal but maybe better than a shampoo container.

tabegle
01-30-2012, 03:57 PM
do you have zip lock baggies you can pump into? or a target/walmart nearby with breastmilk storage bags? Pour what you already have in the bottle into the bag and then pump into the now emptied bottle.

I don't know how many times I forgot my supplies at home. I ended up keeping extra horns, bottles, lids, bags, and even a manual pump at work.

BayGirl2
01-30-2012, 04:00 PM
My understanding of the temperature thing is that you shouldn't add warm milk to frozen milk. I never heard of an issue with adding room temperature to refrigerated milk, the temp difference is not that vast and there is no thawing/refreezing issue. Since I WAH I often pump into a set of bottles, refrigerate the bottles and horns, and then pump more into the same set later. Never had an issue with spoilage and it saves dishes.

misshollygolightly
Should be fine to pump into the cooled bottle (not the same as mixing truly hot and cold BM). But if you're running out of space, I'd use a new ziploc (double bag), or see if you can buy some BM storage bags (our local CVS and Walgreens stock them).

pb&j
Just pumped into the filled bottles. It'll be fine. It's not like it's coming out of you steaming hot or anything.

BabyBearsMom
01-30-2012, 04:05 PM
I would pump into the filled bottles but plan to use the milk the next day rather than freeze and use later.

janine
01-30-2012, 04:07 PM
My understanding of the temperature thing is that you shouldn't add warm milk to frozen milk. I never heard of an issue with adding room temperature to refrigerated milk, the temp difference is not that vast and there is no thawing/refreezing issue. Since I WAH I often pump into a set of bottles, refrigerate the bottles and horns, and then pump more into the same set later. Never had an issue with spoilage and it saves dishes.

thank you! and thank you for earlier posters...will do this and knew you ladies would know. only been back a week, it's so stressful with trying to be bm'ing mom and full on working person too (hard to get time to pump).

i will bring ziplock bags and extra pump and store bag for future times...i'm bound to do this again i'm sure

Momit
01-30-2012, 04:11 PM
I've been in your situation too. Pumping into the partially filled bottles will be fine. I once used a (new from the package) styrofoam coffee cup when I had an especially "productive" day and ran out of bottle space.

BabbyO
01-30-2012, 04:15 PM
I agree w/ PP's. Ironically I was pumping when you posted this...otherwise I would have recommended to get BM storage bags OR pump into the refrigerated milk and use right away.

FWIW...I pumped directly into refrigerated milk bottles all.the.time with DS1 (before I knew it could be a problem). I never had a problem with the milk until I started using my later freezer stash. The fresh pumped and refrigerated milk had been mixed together, then frozen for 6 mo...those bags weren't so good. I ended up tossing a lot of pumped milk, but we'd essentially weaned at that point.

Oh, I was going to mention to keep a few BM storage bags at your desk. I have a few in case I have a very productive day or forget a bottle. I have a second pump now, but if I didn't I'd also keep an inexpensive manual one in the office.