PDA

View Full Version : What Would You Miss for the Super Bowl?

amldaley
01-30-2012, 05:33 PM
I don't care how important pro sports are. These stats make me sick. WTH is WRONG with these people?

http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2012/01/29/15-would-miss-child-birth-for-Super-Bowl/UPI-66821327878894/

maybeebaby08
01-30-2012, 05:47 PM
For this exact SuperBowl? I'd miss a lot, I can't wait to to see the Pats crush the Giants, if by some rare chance I went into early labor I'd have the game on in the delivery room. Close friends wedding, my close friends know better then to schedule a wedding on SuperBowl Sunday.... Jk, for a SuperBowl the Pats aren't in I wouldn't miss much, but if the Pats are playing all bets are off.

ETA: I love football, DH isn't a big sports guy so missing an important event for a regular game or big game your favorite team isn't in is not ok with me but for major games with your favorite team I get the obsession.

♥ms.pacman♥
01-30-2012, 05:56 PM
wow, I don't understand it either. I can see missing out on some things (i've had friends back out of attending my wedding bc they were too busy with school, or whatever), but purposely missing the birth of your own child, to watch a sporting event, that is just crazy to me. I can't imagine telling my kid when he/she grew up "Oh yeah, your Dad wasn't there because he wanted to go see the SuperBowl."

i will never understand this type of thing. i remember on a wedding message board, one girl (from TX) saying that her parents were going back and forth on missing her WEDDING bc her kid brother (senior in HS) made to the football playoffs (or whatever it's called) and it was possible that the playoff game would be on the same day/time as the wedding. I think her parents were going to do where one parent went to the wedding, and the other parent went to the football game. or something. Geez. i cannot imagine both of my parents willingly debating over going to my wedding, over a sporting event. I don't care how important it is. Unless someone's in the freaking hospital, you go to your kid's wedding.

Let the flames begin (LOL). My DH is not big into sports, but he doesn't think missing out on a close friend/relative's wedding in the name of sports is so bad. we've had arguments/discussions on this before. :)

ilfaith
01-30-2012, 06:05 PM
"Fifteen percent of U.S. adults -- presumably men -- say they'd miss the birth of their child for the Super Bowl"

Presumably men...because it would be difficult for the mother to not be there (except, I suppose, in cases of open adoption or surrogacy)

MelissaTC
01-30-2012, 06:07 PM
We can't wait for the Giants to open up another can of whoop on the Pats but my DH wouldn't miss the birth of a child over it. Well, maybe. Lol. He would probably have it on in the room...

rlu
01-30-2012, 06:16 PM
um, DVR? yes, I know, the spoilers are hard to avoid but really in this day and age there are ways - streaming to a handheld device for example. No imagination.

We'll watch but we wouldn't miss a wedding, funeral, baby, etc. But if the Niners were in it, we'd find a way to make it all work though.

buddyleebaby
01-30-2012, 06:21 PM
I doubt they would seriously miss the birth of their child.
It sounds like something I would say, but I wouldn't mean it.

I would totally miss a wedding to watch the Giants win the Superbowl, though. :yay::cheerleader1::heartbeat: Luckily we don't have any wedding invites this year so we're good to go.

Green_Tea
01-30-2012, 06:22 PM
I can't think of a single thing that I'd miss in favor of the Super Bowl, including a root canal or grocery shopping. But I appear to be in a distinct minority.

elektra
01-30-2012, 06:31 PM
I am getting a little sick of the sports hate personally. If someone is passionate about something, then I get why they want to work things around that passion, and there will inevitably be conflicts.
I know of weddings and funerals that have been missed for much less IMO.

Would I personally miss the birth of my own child to watch a sporting event on TV where I did not know the players personally? Even if that was possible, I would not, but I am not passionate about pro football.

edurnemk
01-30-2012, 06:38 PM
I can't think of a single thing that I'd miss in favor of the Super Bowl, including a root canal or grocery shopping. But I appear to be in a distinct minority.

Me too.

twowhat?
01-30-2012, 06:43 PM

Same here. And if DH ever chose a sporting event over something even as simple as one of our kids' school plays or something similar that they wanted us to be there for, I'd probably kick him in the. Well, you get the idea.

I mean, you can watch the sporting event online or whatever another time. Sheesh.

Jo..
01-30-2012, 06:47 PM

This.

I think it's crazy that men would miss the birth of a child (Or even have it on in the background). I would FLIP OUT.

Dream
01-30-2012, 06:51 PM
I can't think of a single thing that I'd miss in favor of the Super Bowl.

:yeahthat: I'm glad I've got company

♥ms.pacman♥
01-30-2012, 07:04 PM
Same here. And if DH ever chose a sporting event over something even as simple as one of our kids' school plays or something similar that they wanted us to be there for, I'd probably kick him in the. Well, you get the idea.

I mean, you can watch the sporting event online or whatever another time. Sheesh.

hehe, yeah, this exactly!

and i know my DH never would do something like this, but he likes to argue/debate the "reasoning" behind it when he hears of another guy doing it. Still...when i hear of husbands ditching their very very pregnant wives at home with the other kids just to go on guys' trips, it just makes me really shake my head.

sntm
01-30-2012, 07:55 PM
I keep forgetting when the super bowl is (and I'm taking DS#1 to a matinee of Oklahoma that day!)

But, with my wedding to XH, we did move the date because my father said he would only attend if there were TVs at the reception set to the Derby. While that might have made a fun theme, we chose to move it to the prior week. :) My dad is, um, passionate about horse racing.

fivi2
01-30-2012, 08:11 PM
wow, I don't understand it either. I can see missing out on some things (i've had friends back out of attending my wedding bc they were too busy with school, or whatever), but purposely missing the birth of your own child, to watch a sporting event, that is just crazy to me. I can't imagine telling my kid when he/she grew up "Oh yeah, your Dad wasn't there because he wanted to go see the SuperBowl."

i will never understand this type of thing. i remember on a wedding message board, one girl (from TX) saying that her parents were going back and forth on missing her WEDDING bc her kid brother (senior in HS) made to the football playoffs (or whatever it's called) and it was possible that the playoff game would be on the same day/time as the wedding. I think her parents were going to do where one parent went to the wedding, and the other parent went to the football game. or something. Geez. i cannot imagine both of my parents willingly debating over going to my wedding, over a sporting event. I don't care how important it is. Unless someone's in the freaking hospital, you go to your kid's wedding.

Let the flames begin (LOL). My DH is not big into sports, but he doesn't think missing out on a close friend/relative's wedding in the name of sports is so bad. we've had arguments/discussions on this before. :)

imo, another child making the playoffs is a pretty legitimate conflict. I mean, would you understand if it were the Olympics? HS football is a big deal in many places, and for one child in their last year of HS to make the playoffs in any sport/activity is pretty huge. Honestly, I can see being conflicted there.

But for a sporting event where I am not related to any of the participants? I probably wouldn't miss much. But I am sure there are things I think are important that many people wouldn't agree with

smilequeen
01-30-2012, 11:29 PM
I'm guessing it's mostly tongue in cheek, but I'm sure there are men who would miss the birth for a superbowl and women who would do a lot of other stupid things too.

FWIW, last year my husband had tickets to the superbowl. He wasn't really thinking when they planned the "business retreat". The Superbowl was on Feb. 6. DS3 was due on Feb. 10. We do not live in Texas. I was annoyed, but told him as long as I wasn't having the baby he could go. DS3 ended up being born on Feb. 3. I told him to go ahead and go and he was gone for the 5th and 6th. Like took me home from the hospital and headed to the airport. I got a nice gift out of that one. Wife of the year...that was me :)

TwinFoxes
01-30-2012, 11:39 PM
I doubt they would seriously miss the birth of their child.

:yeahthat: Hard to get worked up over an unscientific Internet survey. :)

arivecchi
01-30-2012, 11:39 PM
My thoughts:

1) I have no idea what UPI is.

2) The survey was "conducted" by coupon cabin. :rotflmao:

"The survey of 2,625 U.S. adults, sponsored by CouponCabin.com, said 21 percent said they'd miss important work responsibility for the big football game, while 20 percent said they'd miss a wedding of a close friend and 19 percent said they would miss the funeral of a loved one."

3) This is just silliness. I am sure a determined dad could push a TV into the delivery room. ;)

Jo..
01-30-2012, 11:49 PM
I am getting a little sick of the sports hate personally. If someone is passionate about something, then I get why they want to work things around that passion, and there will inevitably be conflicts.

I have a friend who gave birth feeling totally ALONE because her husband was watching sports while she gave birth. The same guy also shot down her idea of having a doula present.

I get passion. If you are passionate about your art or your job, I get it. If you are a photographer and take amazing pictures, I will look and drool all day. If you are an accountant who crunches numbers to an exact science, I admire that. If you LOVE your weekend softball league, I'm on board too.

However, what I DON'T GET and never will, is middle aged men and women who have NEVER PLAYED the sport, getting all hot and bothered about whether "THEIR" team wins or loses. Screaming at the tv and eating Doritos.

Get off your ass and go play a sport and then I will take your "passion" seriously.

I would KILL my DH if he put WATCHING sports in front of ANYTHING. I would be much more lenient if he played the sport.

kijip
01-31-2012, 12:31 AM

:yeahthat:

I have never watched a superbowl.

The only persons who can sanely miss their child's birth for the Superbowl are those who are paid to play or coach in the game. Anyone else who would do so is a total lunatic IMO.

Fairy
01-31-2012, 02:25 AM
I have a friend who gave birth feeling totally ALONE because her husband was watching sports while she gave birth. The same guy also shot down her idea of having a doula present.

I get passion. If you are passionate about your art or your job, I get it. If you are a photographer and take amazing pictures, I will look and drool all day. If you are an accountant who crunches numbers to an exact science, I admire that. If you LOVE your weekend softball league, I'm on board too.

However, what I DON'T GET and never will, is middle aged men and women who have NEVER PLAYED the sport, getting all hot and bothered about whether "THEIR" team wins or loses. Screaming at the tv and eating Doritos.

Get off your ass and go play a sport and then I will take your "passion" seriously.

I would KILL my DH if he put WATCHING sports in front of ANYTHING. I would be much more lenient if he played the sport.

I have never been President. I'm passionate about Presidential history.

I've never been British -- in this lifetime, anyway (heh), but I'm passionate about perfecting my English accent for when I'm playing British on stage.

I've never been gay, but I am passionate about gay rights, and I mean really passionate about it.

My child is not an FA kid, but I will fight tooth and nail for yours to be in a safe and socially equal environment, about that I'm really quite passionate.

Yes, I root wildly like a crazy nutjob for my team to win, namely the Chicago Bears. Let's not go into the rut they've been in (hrmph), but I will go crazypants for them. I scream at my TV when Devin Hester is in the middle of that punt return like Franka Potente's Lola at a roulette wheel in Run Lola Run. It's no fun to have a life without passion. And your life shouldn't be aobut only one thing, whether that's your spouse, your kids, your work, or your team. I'm ok with having passion for something silly and unprofound. it gives me joy. I dunno what happened with your friend, but I think generally speaking, going nuts for a bunch of men running around in very tight pants on Sundays in winter is not that big a deal.

That said, missing your kid's birth for such a thing is ridiculous. Extreme. I think there's a distinction there.

Jo..
01-31-2012, 02:34 AM
I am only truly passionate about things I actually DO. Not things I watch.

I am sick and tired of seeing a bunch of overweight people jumping around and yelling "WE WON" when all they won was the potato chip eating competition.

Fairy
01-31-2012, 02:46 AM
I am only truly passionate about things I actually DO. Not things I watch.

I am sick and tired of seeing a bunch of overweight people jumping around and yelling "WE WON" when all they won was the potato chip eating competition.

I guess I just don't see why it's that big a deal. Missing your kids' birth is definitely nutty. But just for the joy of it all? Being part of a team spirit kind of yay rah? I see it as being an enriching experience to be part of that kind of joyousness for a team. I am overweight, and I do jump around and booty bump when our string of overrated, terribly average QBs since McMahon left the team actually make a connection somehow. I've completely sworn off the potato chips tho. No more white carbs for me. So, I'm a slightly thinner overweight person jumping around and yelling woo hoo.

Pear
01-31-2012, 02:51 AM
I'm a little surprised by the parents dithering on wedding vs. Football game. Is the brother really going to miss his sister's wedding?

Jo..
01-31-2012, 02:51 AM
My Dh loves to watch Kansas Basketball, because he played basketball and lived there. Other than that, I truly do not get it. I don't get how people identify with a team as "we" and sit there and watch and eat popcorn, having never played etc. I just don't get it! And it bugs me!

ETA. Fairy I didn't mean YOU. I just meant that in general a ton of white Americans sit on their big asses and cheer for sports they have never played, and will never play.

I would sooner cheer for my kids' hula hoop competition or jump rope. Somewhere that I have a dog in the fight. I just DON'T GET IT

Fairy
01-31-2012, 02:58 AM
I think what it is is just the pure definition of Fandom. Any fandom. Of anything. Loving a sports team you're not on is no different than loving a TV show you're not cast in. I love Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I mean FLOVE. I didn't act in it, but I'm all over that thing. Taped it, Tivo'd it, bought the DVDs, bought the OMWF soundtrack, know every word to every song and where they were blocked when they sang it. I'm a fan. I don't find that any different than the people who love their sports teams and know the roster and the stats of every player and each of their mothers' hat sizes. It's just the nature of fandom. I think that's really all it is.

Kinda off topic there, sorry OP. I'll make you some brussels sprouts to make up for it.

Fairy
01-31-2012, 02:59 AM
ETA. Fairy I didn't mean YOU. I just meant that in general a ton of white Americans sit on their big asses and cheer for sports they have never played, and will never play.

I know! It's ok, I didn't take it personally, I was just trying to make some comparisons that might help. And, ya know, be self-depricating, too. :-)

Jo..
01-31-2012, 03:06 AM
hrumpphh.

I will (grudgingly) admit to sitting on my fat white American ass and cheering on my Survivor favorites.

But I am SO not pleased with you for pointing this out.

georgiegirl
01-31-2012, 08:33 AM
The people who said yes are probably immature boys in their 20s. I'm sure once they are married and have pregnant wives, their responses would change. Also, I bet you could watch the Super Bowl while your wife was in labor.

I was 34 weeks pregnant with dd when the steelers were in the Super Bowl in 2006 and we lived in Pittsburgh. I remember hearing that some woman scheduled a c-section a few days (maybe a week) before the Super Bowl to ensure that she and her dh would be home to watch it (and not in labor because she was due that day). Her OB was happy to comply. See, there's a solution!!! (just kidding)

mommylamb
01-31-2012, 09:06 AM
While my DH would never miss the birth of our child for anything, I'm sure, he's a huge Manchester United fan and we do regularly schedule our social schedule around the games. It's a really big part of his life and I'm totally fine with that. When we moved to the U.S. in order to get married and live here for good, he had never been to this country before. Giving up football was probably one of the biggest sacrifices he made. At the time, a small handful of the games were screened on pay per view, but that was about it, so he really was giving it up in his mind. After leaving his mother and niece, this was the second hardest thing about leaving the country he had grown up in his entire life. It was harder for him than leaving his friends and harder for him than leaving his sisters. Yes, he grew up in Manchester and yes he played soccer in school (though he was more competitive at cricket from a personal playing stance), but I don't think that explains the degree of his passion for Manchester United.

I'm not a sports junky, so this is not something I understand at a personal level, but it's something that is really special and important to him and I don't begrudge him that. I still don't think he'd be watching the game while I was in labor... even if it were Manchester vs. Liverpool for the league title, but I know he'd be sad to miss it.

KrisM
01-31-2012, 09:06 AM

Me, too. I like sports, but can't imagine letting it run my life like it does for so many others.

hellokitty
01-31-2012, 09:47 AM
Well, I'm not surprised there would be idiots who would do this. Then again, I would be 100% happy if they decided to just get rid of football all together. Good riddance! As you can tell, I'm not a fan. Ironically, my alma mater is one of the biggest football schools in the US, and I'm probably the only person who never attended a game (scalped my tix for profit).

mmommy
01-31-2012, 01:15 PM

:yeahthat: