PDA

View Full Version : Question about ADD and drugs

marit
01-30-2012, 06:01 PM
I am starting to think DS might have ADD. He is not hyperactive but gets distracted very very easily. I've contacted the pediatrician and am starting a process of screening. I am not even thinking about drugs yet, but a friend of mine (who is in the exact same place as I am right now with her 6 year old DS) sent me a link to this article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/29/opinion/sunday/childrens-add-drugs-dont-work-long-term.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1

I am just curious to what people think of his claims. NO FLAMES PLEASE. I really don't know anything about this issue, and am trying to learn more.

I'm assuming some people are very pro and some are very anti these drugs. Just like circumcision etc., to each his own. I would love to hear about your experience, good or bad.

Thank you!

rupptopia
01-30-2012, 06:26 PM
A friend of mine in the medical profession posted this to her Facebook recently:
http://m.npr.org/story/134456594?url=/2011/03/11/134456594/diet-may-help-adhd-kids-more-than-drugs-study-says&sc=tw
More about the subject of ADD & diet.

I haven't BTDT but a friend of mine had great results when they figured out what foods her child couldn't handle. They ended up cutting out gluten and food dyes with her son, he is like a different kid.

I would certainly look into the possibility of food sensitivities if one of my children was having behavior issues, just in case he/she was one of those kids that could be helped with a different diet. I wouldn't exclude the possibility that they would need medication either though.

pinkmomagain
01-30-2012, 07:34 PM
I encourage you to do a search in this forum on ADD. Lots has been discussed in the Lounge and Special Needs areas. You will find lots of varying opinions & experiences with those of us who are chosing diet, drugs, or are still trying to figure out what exactly to do with our kids with attentional and/or hyperactivity issues.

There are alot of great books too. I found Driven to Distraction helpful when I was beginning the journey of treating my dd with ADHD-Inattentive Type.

BabyMine
01-30-2012, 11:15 PM
I can't write a lot right now but after M was diagnosed with ADHD-CT and anxiety I started tons of research. We decided on Ritalin (Methylin) and behavior therapy. He also goes to a special school that teaches only children that have ADHD, dyslexia, and anxiety. Huge change for the better.

I'll post later when I have time.