PDA

View Full Version : Simple Birthday Party ideas for 3yr old

lmr1101
01-30-2012, 07:37 PM
DD1 is turning 3 next month. We are going to invite her class (since she's already been invited to a number of class parties) plus some family/friends.
We were just going to invite everyone to one of the good parks in our area and have food/cake and let the kids play. Really nothing too structured.

But now I'm thinking I'd at least like to try and have a theme for the party.
We just moved homes so we'd still like to keep this pretty simple.
Any ideas for what to do?

SnuggleBuggles
01-30-2012, 07:40 PM
Teddy Bear picnic
favorite movie or TV character
cupcakes (boys like cupcakes too :))
monster (I just did a monster party- Target sells basic supplies...I have a pinterest board with lots of ideas too!)
pirates
sports

katydid1971
01-30-2012, 07:41 PM
How about something like butterflies or tulips, something outdoorsy. I would go to a party store and find plates and napkins, hats etc that fit with the theme. Have cupcakes (they are always easier) and juice boxes. Give bubbles and sidewalk chalk. Not that exciting but its something everyone will use and not just toss when they get home.

happymom
01-31-2012, 12:17 AM
How about something like butterflies or tulips, something outdoorsy. I would go to a party store and find plates and napkins, hats etc that fit with the theme. Have cupcakes (they are always easier) and juice boxes. Give bubbles and sidewalk chalk. Not that exciting but its something everyone will use and not just toss when they get home.

Ooh, I like the butterfly idea. It would be really fun to get butterfly wings and a tutu for your DD to wear :) Actually, if you could find them for cheap, butterfly wings would be a great party favor for eveyone! Not sure about the boys though!!

A butterfly pinata could be fun too, and that would work in a park as long as there's a tree or somethign to hang it from.

lucybabymamma
01-31-2012, 10:31 AM
Bugs (wings could be called bug wings) or dragon flies for boys....

twowhat?
01-31-2012, 11:14 AM
I ended up not doing a theme for the girls/ bday (ran out of time) but I totally considered doing a butterflies and dragonflies/fireflies theme and hanging paper butterflies and dragonflies by fishing line all over the house and to balloons, and handing out nets and buttefly/dragonfly wings as party favors:) Maybe next year.

We have a pool so I also considered doing a "fishing" theme, finding floaties to put in the pool and then give the kids nets to scoop out their own party favors (with parental supervision of course).

My other idea was to do a puppets theme.

SkyrMommy
01-31-2012, 12:04 PM
Very Hungry Caterpillar theme. Cupcakes with red & green frosting to make it's body on display. Some bug catchers for the park, maybe a little bug net. And then you can use some of the foods that the caterpillar eats for other things on trays. Polka dots for patterns should be pretty easy to find for plates and other paper products.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-3MIPRjrvNTw/TdKd2aFHPvI/AAAAAAAAFsQ/yJL9FajghNA/s1600/hungry-caterpillar-cupcake.jpg

http://catchmyparty.com/photos/0006/4998/dsc_0287-2_standard.jpg?1288349432

Can you tell I've thought this was cute?! I've been pondering this for DD's spring birthday!

Momit
01-31-2012, 12:26 PM
Very Hungry Caterpillar theme. Cupcakes with red & green frosting to make it's body on display. Some bug catchers for the park, maybe a little bug net. And then you can use some of the foods that the caterpillar eats for other things on trays. Polka dots for patterns should be pretty easy to find for plates and other paper products.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-3MIPRjrvNTw/TdKd2aFHPvI/AAAAAAAAFsQ/yJL9FajghNA/s1600/hungry-caterpillar-cupcake.jpg

http://catchmyparty.com/photos/0006/4998/dsc_0287-2_standard.jpg?1288349432

Can you tell I've thought this was cute?! I've been pondering this for DD's spring birthday!

This is so cute! Did you find these on Pinterest? Also, Kohls Cares for Kids has Eric Carle stuff now - including blank note cards that could work as invites or thank you notes with this theme.

DS's 3rd birthday was a "nature walk" theme (his idea). I did a cupcake cake that looked like an owl from Family Fun magazine. Brought bug catchers, had fruit salad and sandwiches cut out in woodland animal shapes, red and white checkered table cloths and camping-type enamelware dishes. You could have the kids make pinecone birdfeeders if you want a quick activity.

SkyrMommy
01-31-2012, 02:43 PM
This is so cute! Did you find these on Pinterest?

I did find some of them on Pinterest and marked them for party ideas & some of the others, the cupcake ones were just a google search for Hungry Caterpillar party. It looks pretty easy, and some of the foods he eats are fun!