PDA

View Full Version : Superbowl

Twoboos
01-30-2012, 08:02 PM
Patriots or Giants?

Poll coming...

SnuggleBuggles
01-30-2012, 08:13 PM
My team is out but I am anti-Patriots and always liked the Giants well enough. So, easy choice for me to pick the Giants. Do I think they will win? No. But, I want them to. I think the Patriots are bad sportsmen based on how they run up the score to a ridiculous margin- it's like kicking a sick dog. Just chill and run the clock out vs going up 52-10.

alien_host
01-30-2012, 08:17 PM
:cheerleader1::cheerleader1:PATRIOTS! :cheerleader1::cheerleader1:

thomma
01-30-2012, 08:19 PM
PATRIOTS!!!
it will be unbearable around here if they lose to the Giants...again. ;)

newnana
01-30-2012, 08:25 PM
Commercials!!!

What's so funny is that 99% of the year I dvr everything so that I don't have to watch those darned commercials. And then the superbowl comes on and it's 99% of the reason why I watch. Go figure.

ett
01-30-2012, 08:25 PM
:cheerleader1::cheerleader1:PATRIOTS! :cheerleader1::cheerleader1:

:yeahthat:

rlu
01-30-2012, 08:43 PM
Commercials!!!

What's so funny is that 99% of the year I dvr everything so that I don't have to watch those darned commercials. And then the superbowl comes on and it's 99% of the reason why I watch. Go figure.

This. We'll be watching the game as well, but we do try to watch the commercials.

I'm loving the VW commercial that was sneak-peaked during the Pro Bowl with the dogs barking the Vader theme. Will post link shortly.

eta: server crashed before I could post earlier http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ntDYjS0Y3w&feature=email

Giantbear
01-30-2012, 10:44 PM
GO BLUE!!!!

Already taught dd to say TD while throwing her arms up and to say GO BLUE!!

DietCokeLover
01-30-2012, 10:57 PM
Didn't even know who was in it.

smilequeen
01-30-2012, 11:31 PM
I dislike the Patriots enough to be rooting for the Giants. Other than that I wouldn't care. The Superbowl is fun, and I do semi enjoy football, but it's not my favorite.

arivecchi
01-30-2012, 11:35 PM
Meh

Will likely watch for commercials but don't care at all about either team.

JoyNChrist
01-30-2012, 11:38 PM
Didn't even know who was in it.

Haha, I didn't either. We're huge college football fans but couldn't care less about the NFL. If we're invited to a party I'm sure we'll go, but we don't have a horse in this race.

R2sweetboys
01-30-2012, 11:53 PM
Tell me, what's with all the hating on the Pats?!! I get it if you're a rival, that's just how it goes. Otherwise, the sportsmanship criticism just seems funny to me. They are not any different than other teams. There's no such thing as "running up the score" at this level. Have you seen the come-backs some teams make when down by over 20 points??(ahem, Pats vs Bills early in the season) It is critical to maintain a good lead, especially late in the season. :yay:GO PATRIOTS!! :yay:

SnuggleBuggles
01-31-2012, 12:02 AM
Tell me, what's with all the hating on the Pats?!! I get it if you're a rival, that's just how it goes. Otherwise, the sportsmanship criticism just seems funny to me. They are not any different than other teams. There's no such thing as "running up the score" at this level. Have you seen the come-backs some teams make when down by over 20 points??(ahem, Pats vs Bills early in the season) It is critical to maintain a good lead, especially late in the season. :yay:GO PATRIOTS!! :yay:

But, you know some teams aren't capable of a comeback. That's when you can just stop. If you have a 30 point lead with 4 minutes to go (eta- against the Browns), you don't need rto score another touchdown.

Jo..
01-31-2012, 12:04 AM
DH doesn't watch. I don't watch. We don't CARE.

We do watch the commercials on youtube.

Octobermommy
01-31-2012, 12:20 AM
I hope they both lose.

Jo..
01-31-2012, 12:21 AM
I hope they both lose.

LIKE :bighand:

crl
01-31-2012, 12:27 AM
Don't care. Won't be watching. Just not a football fan. Dh will have the game on I am sure. And he will try to get me to watch the commercials. Whatever.

The Olympics I can manage to care about and I am sure we will watch some of them.

Catherine

lilycat88
01-31-2012, 01:34 AM
I just want the whole thing OVER and out of my city!
Indy is good at big sporting events...really good. But, more than 10 days of chaos on the streets trying to get to/from work is wearing on me.

Fairy
01-31-2012, 03:04 AM
I meant to say Giants, but accidentally said Patriots. I can't be for the AFC, sorry. I really don't wanna be for the giants either :nodno: But given a choice, I'll go with the NFC. By a hair.

Where is the option for "It's all about the commercials?"

roseyloxs
01-31-2012, 07:03 AM
I can't stand Eli Manning but Justin Tuck is awesome so I'll be rooting for the Giants.

wendibird22
01-31-2012, 09:43 AM
I voted Patriots because DH would kill me if I didn't. However, my real choice is to vote for the stadium and host city. I'm a Colts fan and former Indy resident so I'm just excited for the location.

Twoboos
01-31-2012, 09:50 AM
My team is out but I am anti-Patriots and always liked the Giants well enough. So, easy choice for me to pick the Giants. Do I think they will win? No. But, I want them to. I think the Patriots are bad sportsmen based on how they run up the score to a ridiculous margin- it's like kicking a sick dog. Just chill and run the clock out vs going up 52-10.

I am Patriots all the way. But I do get this. But the thing is, they can't stop playing, KWIM? They're not going to drop the ball or take a knee - if they are trying to get a touchdown (whole point of the game), they're going to get one.

And Fairy you're right, I should have put in a commercials option!! (Has anyone seen the Matthew Broderick commercial for the CRV? I so love Ferris.)

wellyes
01-31-2012, 09:56 AM
Wait, why are they in Indiana? I thought the Super Bowl was always somewhere warm. Wouldn't want all those $$$ guests to get a chill.

Also doesn't that give the Giants a bit of an advantage? Since the hero of Indiana's baby brother is their QB.

If you have a 30 point lead with 4 minutes to go (eta- against the Browns), you don't need rto score another touchdown.Players at this level get bonuses and incentives for how much they succeed (scoring, defense, special teams, etc) over a season. If you were Tom Brady, which would you chose?
1. Take pity on the other team and not "run up the score"
2. Help out other players on your team (the ones without $13M contracts) by doing your best to get as high a score as possible, whenever possible. They are good enough to earn the cash, they deserve it.

I don't get the Pats hate either. They aren't the team nearest and dearest to me, but they play fair and don't misbehave off the field either. I think maybe they get hate because they are consistently good but "cold".... don't get any points for being underdogs, don't get emotional or showy (Tim Tebow, anyone?), they just run the plays and succeed succeed succeed. Hard to *love* a team like that, but no reason to hate them.

o_mom
01-31-2012, 10:00 AM
Wait, why are they in Indiana? I thought the Super Bowl was always somewhere warm. Wouldn't want all those $$$ guests to get a chill.

No chance of a chill inside. ;) Not to mention the freakishly warm weather this year - high today is supposed to be 61 deg.

TwinFoxes
01-31-2012, 10:01 AM

It was in Detroit a few years ago. Even better, next year it's going to be in New York, the first time it's been in a non-domed cold climate stadium. That should be interesting! I'd be pretty annoyed at paying a lot of money to freeze my butt off instead of getting to go to Tampa or San Diego or Nola.

o_mom
01-31-2012, 10:03 AM
I just want the whole thing OVER and out of my city!
Indy is good at big sporting events...really good. But, more than 10 days of chaos on the streets trying to get to/from work is wearing on me.

I am staying far, far away from there..... :) I suppose if someone offered me free parking, free shuttle and free childcare, I might venture down, but so not worth fighting traffic and paying $80 to park at the mall.

TwinFoxes
01-31-2012, 10:10 AM
I have to say, I'm not a Pats fan, but I can't stand Eli. I voted "neither".

I don't get the "unsportsmanlike" comments either in regards to running up the score. They're grown men, it's not Pop Warner. I agree with PP, if you get a $1 million bonus for catching a certain number of TD passes, what are you supposed to do, drop it? Also, way down on the list of tie breakers for making the playoffs. If you don't want the score run up, then don't suck. ;) And my team's the Chargers, so it's not like I'm ever on the side of the powerhouse champs. :)

lizzywednesday
01-31-2012, 10:24 AM
It was in Detroit a few years ago. Even better, next year it's going to be in New York, the first time it's been in a non-domed cold climate stadium. That should be interesting! I'd be pretty annoyed at paying a lot of money to freeze my butt off instead of getting to go to Tampa or San Diego or Nola.

No, actually, Super Bowl XLVII (Feb. 2013) will NOT be at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, NJ but it will be in New Orleans.

MetLife Stadium is slated to host numeral XLVIII in 2014: http://articles.nydailynews.com/2010-05-25/sports/27065342_1_weather-new-meadowlands-stadium-jets-owner-woody-johnson

They're hoping to finish the mall-formerly-known-as-Xanadu before then. (Currently, it's only half-built, looks ugly and has no tenants. Oh, and it was funded with public money ... go figure.)

Personally, I don't see the difference between hosting a Super Bowl in a cold weather stadium without a retractable roof and hosting a playoff game at, say, Lambeau Field where it's been below zero more times than not.

The biggest of the big-money tickets are all suites anyhow ... and the suites are heated & catered, so those folks aren't going to be complaining.

ETA: I didn't know they'd unveiled the logo - check out the snowflakes: http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/super-bowl-2014-let-it-snow-1.3204412

TwinFoxes
01-31-2012, 10:41 AM
No, actually, Super Bowl XLVII (Feb. 2013) will NOT be at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, NJ but it will be in New Orleans.

MetLife Stadium is slated to host numeral XLVIII in 2014: http://articles.nydailynews.com/2010-05-25/sports/27065342_1_weather-new-meadowlands-stadium-jets-owner-woody-johnson

They're hoping to finish the mall-formerly-known-as-Xanadu before then. (Currently, it's only half-built, looks ugly and has no tenants. Oh, and it was funded with public money ... go figure.)

Personally, I don't see the difference between hosting a Super Bowl in a cold weather stadium without a retractable roof and hosting a playoff game at, say, Lambeau Field where it's been below zero more times than not.

The biggest of the big-money tickets are all suites anyhow ... and the suites are heated & catered, so those folks aren't going to be complaining.

ETA: I didn't know they'd unveiled the logo - check out the snowflakes: http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/super-bowl-2014-let-it-snow-1.3204412

Oops, sorry, I didn't memorize all the upcoming Super Bowls. :) I knew it was soon, I was off by a year.

I think the difference from a playoff game is those are the team's fans who are going to go home after 3 hours at the stadium. They have paid a lot, but not a HUGE amount to go to the game. The Super Bowl are fans from all over who make a vacation out of it. Even regular seats are hundreds of dollars if you're lucky enough to get them at face value. So an expensive vacation in February in Detroit vs San Diego is not as appalling for most folks.

SnuggleBuggles
01-31-2012, 10:49 AM
Ok, the sportsmen thing was said by a sportscaster during a game and it stuck with me. I get the bonuses, incentives,... But I still feel the way I do. Obviously I am alone but that's ok. Maybe it's all just that I dislike the Patriots too. ;)

lizzywednesday
01-31-2012, 10:50 AM
Oops, sorry, I didn't memorize all the upcoming Super Bowls. :) I knew it was soon, I was off by a year.

I think the difference from a playoff game is those are the team's fans who are going to go home after 3 hours at the stadium. They have paid a lot, but not a HUGE amount to go to the game. The Super Bowl are fans from all over who make a vacation out of it. Even regular seats are hundreds of dollars if you're lucky enough to get them at face value. So an expensive vacation in February in Detroit vs San Diego is not as appalling for most folks.

My DH wants to go; it's an hour away from us. (He's not into caring about who's playing when ... it'd be nice if one of our local teams got in, but until they get their heads out of their butts, there's no way the Jets are gonna make it before our DD grows up!!!)

There are still plenty of season-ticket holders who will travel to an away playoff game, though. (Like the Jets' Fireman Ed, who's been known to take a large group of fans to lead the J-E-T-S chant in "enemy" territory when he's not on shift for the FDNY ... the man is a legend.)

At least with the game at MetLife, the organizers are banking on proximity to NYC-proper ... and there are plenty of other things to sell people on in the area. Plenty of people vacation in NYC in February; Detroit's not my cup of tea, either. (And, sorry Indy, but I don't eat organ meats if I know they're there, so the fried brain sandwich is kind of out.)

karstmama
01-31-2012, 10:58 AM
there's not a poll option for 'what, that's coming soon? again?'

i sooo don't care.

but i'd go to a party for the snacks!

wellyes
01-31-2012, 11:48 AM
Ok, the sportsmen thing was said by a sportscaster during a game and it stuck with me. I get the bonuses, incentives,... But I still feel the way I do. Obviously I am alone but that's ok. Maybe it's all just that I dislike the Patriots too. ;)
It's OK. I hate the Cowboys, and anything they do, and think anyone who likes them is completely irrational. I will always feel this way. Logical? No? Who cares. They are the worst. team. ever.

lilycat88
01-31-2012, 01:02 PM
(And, sorry Indy, but I don't eat organ meats if I know they're there, so the fried brain sandwich is kind of out.)

LOL...I've lived in Indiana for 36 years and grew up in southern Indiana and I had to google fried brain sandwich to see what you were talking about.

artvandalay
01-31-2012, 01:09 PM
GIANTS :cheerleader1:

artvandalay
01-31-2012, 01:11 PM
Commercials!!!

LOL, good one!

lablover
01-31-2012, 03:09 PM
It's OK. I hate the Cowboys, and anything they do, and think anyone who likes them is completely irrational. I will always feel this way. Logical? No? Who cares. They are the worst. team. ever.

Hahaha! Totally agree! (Then again I am a pathetic Redskins fan.)

Although the Giants are typically a rival, I think I am will root for them in the Super Bowl, just because the Patriots have been there so many times in the past 10 years.

smilequeen
01-31-2012, 03:19 PM
I would assume that most of the Patriots hate is similar to Yankees hate :) Either you love em or you hate em. They beat us in the last Superbowl we went to, so that's where my feelings come from :)