PDA

View Full Version : Entertaining a 3 year old for a 12 hour flight?

happymom
01-30-2012, 11:28 PM
We will be flying overseas in the next few weeks. I am hoping DD will sleep most of the flight (it's a midnight flight), but want to be prepared in case she doesn't. So far I am planning on bringing-
1. Lots of snacks and treats (this has worked well for long car rides)
2. Crayons, paper, stickers
3. I did a search and saw the idea of fruit loops and pipe cleaners for making necklaces/bracelets (great idea!)
4. Several new apps on my Ipod
5. Her beloved dolls and probably her pillow pet

Any other ideas? My Amazon prime is expiring tomorrow, so I'm trying to think ahead and order whatever I might need!

Would a set of magnetic pattern blocks work well for a flight? I've been meaning to buy her a set for a while, but haven't yet so it wuold be new and exciting.
Thanks.

Nechums
01-30-2012, 11:42 PM
Would a set of magnetic pattern blocks work well for a flight? I've been meaning to buy her a set for a while, but haven't yet so it wuold be new and exciting.
Thanks.

DS played with a set of magnetic letters for a long time on our overseas flight. So, magentic pattern blocks sound like a great idea.

Also, does your DD use headphones for the ipod? My DS had never used them before our flight last year and it was a huge adjustment for him that he wasn't happy about. This past time we flew, he was fine with the headphones. We also put a bunch of his TV shows on the ipod and it entertained him for a while.

IMO, a three year old is SO much easier to deal with on a flight than a toddler. We've flown abroad every year since DS was a baby and the first time I ever felt relaxed was when was just about to turn 3. He really did his own thing, for 12 hours! It was amazing.

Is your DD into imagination? If so, you can get some small playmobil sets for her to play with. This worked with DS on our cross-country flight last week.

mikala
01-30-2012, 11:46 PM
She may be a little old for this but I'd also bring along a roll of painter's or masking tape if she likes tape at all. She can tape paper on the tray to color or just have fun ripping it apart and taping things together.

I haven't tried these yet but am eyeing them for our next trip: http://www.amazon.com/Farm-Magnetic-Story-Play-Scene/dp/1846660874/ref=sr_1_7?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1327981532&sr=1-7

ETA: You might also have luck just going to the dollar store or dollar bins at Target and picking up some random new stuff that might catch her eye. Maybe a deck of cards, maybe something that will spark imaginary play. I generally don't like bag-o'-crap type items but they can be worth their weight in gold while traveling.

peanut520
01-30-2012, 11:48 PM
Videos on the iPod
Crayola model magic clay
Books and toy catalogs (dd loved making up stories and talking about the items)

mikala
01-30-2012, 11:53 PM
You might also be able to make coloring last a little longer with a novel type of crayon or some black paper. http://www.amazon.com/Crayola-Twistable-Special-Effects-Crayons/dp/B0033VHDK8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1327981803&sr=8-3

The Crayola markers with special paper might also interest her.

♥ms.pacman♥
01-31-2012, 12:08 AM
i'd get the triangular crayons that don't roll. that way you're not dealing with crayons rolling off the tray and under people's seats.

happymom
01-31-2012, 12:10 AM
Wow, great ideas! I'm so glad I posted. The triangular crayons are genius, Ms. Pacman! I just added them to my cart. Off to look for all the other great ideas too. Thanks :)

urquie
01-31-2012, 02:04 AM
DDs favorite thing on long flights is the iPod, specifically videos and pictures of herself, family and friends. She also enjoys taking photos with it.

niccig
01-31-2012, 02:10 AM
Do not wake her if she falls asleep. Have plenty of food to feed her when she wakes, so you do not need to wake her when they serve food.

In my experience, multiple 14+ hour flights with DS, he's always asleep when they serve the meals, and if he's woken before he's ready to wake up, he will not sleep again. Makes for a VERY long flight.

At the airport keep her awake, have her run laps around the terminal gate, don't let her sleep until you're on the plane. DS is normally asleep before the midnight flight leaves the gate and then will sleep for first 8 hours. You sleep too, even if you really want to watch a movie, sleep when she sleeps.

happymom
02-01-2012, 01:49 AM
Do not wake her if she falls asleep. Have plenty of food to feed her when she wakes, so you do not need to wake her when they serve food.

In my experience, multiple 14+ hour flights with DS, he's always asleep when they serve the meals, and if he's woken before he's ready to wake up, he will not sleep again. Makes for a VERY long flight.

At the airport keep her awake, have her run laps around the terminal gate, don't let her sleep until you're on the plane. DS is normally asleep before the midnight flight leaves the gate and then will sleep for first 8 hours. You sleep too, even if you really want to watch a movie, sleep when she sleeps.

Thanks, that's all really great advice. I'm a little worried about how we're going to keep her up until midnight, considering her regular bedtime is at 7. I wish she would nap, but there's no way she will. It's just going to be challenging to get the car packed up and all the last minute prep together when she is awake and cranky (9/10pm). But I know it will be worth it once we're on the flight. I think I'm going to ask one of my sisters to come over at 7ish and just entertain DD until we leave to the airport. Hopefully that will help.

niccig
02-01-2012, 03:11 AM
You just have to keep her entertained, keep someone with her. We've done a similar flight at 12 months, 3 years, 4.5 years and 6 years old. 12 months was the only time we didn't keep DS awake. Car seat and stroller rides are the danger time, so keep someone in the back seat and then at the airport have her walk and hold someone's hand if you can. DS was also excited about the upcoming trip, so that helped too.

Every time we've gone, DS is asleep before the doors of the plane close. Then we sleep too. You'll survive it.

dhano923
02-01-2012, 10:23 PM
Do you really want crushed Fruit Loop crumbs all over you and your seat for 12 hours?

Many overseas flights have entertainment systems with kids shows. I've flown 18 hr lights with both my kids as toddlers at 17 months (DS) and 2 years (dd) (and when they were older too). I brought coloring books, m&ms (dole out one at a time), and quiet toys. we watched TV, and walked the aisle too. When it was time to sleep, we gave Benedryl.