PDA

View Full Version : Those of you with an inground pool or planning to put in a pool...

gatorsmom
01-31-2012, 12:30 AM
What shape do you want? What depth? What kind of cover?

We are building a new house and DH really wants a pool at some point in the next few years. We will have the space for it, no problem. But we both have very different ideas for the kind of pool we want, the shape and the depth. He wants a rectangular one that has a depth of about 4 feet for nearly the entire pool. He says the kids aren't going to be little forever and he wants to play water volley ball with them.

I want something with a tanning ledge (so very shallow water) but starts out at about 3 feet and progresses to 6feet. Greenbean and Sisi couldn't touch in 4feet water right now and wont for quite a while but they can touch in 3ft. Gator would love something deep enough he can dive for things and I'd like the 6feet end so I can tread water for exercise. It doesn't have to be rectangular. I kind of like something like this but wider and a bit longer: http://www.swimmingpoolnow.com/_12-28-6-vista-isle-inground-fiberglass-pool-Shells.html

Any recommendations or suggestions? Thanks!

smokey26
01-31-2012, 01:59 AM
We don't have a pool right now (moved) but until recently, we did. Here are my two cents:

If you are planning to have people over, some of whom might be younger or less into swimming, the graduated slope is probably better. If you are planning to sell your house in the future, the graduated slope is probably better.

As for the shape, I personally prefer simple rectangular, but aside from that, if you are planning on getting some kind of cover (either automated or simple bubble cover) to save on heating costs or to secure the pool in any way, a standard shape is easier to buy for.

I do advocate a pool cover though - automated would be great, or even just on some kind of roller - we were surprised how expensive our pool was to maintain in terms of water costs and heat. But we were in LA where perhaps these are more expensive (?)...

It was fun though, the kids loved it.

Julie

pinkmomagain
01-31-2012, 07:36 AM
If you would like an electric pool cover (which I have and highly recommend), I believe it can only be used on an rectangular pool. But mine was installed several years ago, and things may have changed.

maestramommy
01-31-2012, 07:52 AM
I would recommend one of those security covers for the winter. It's stretched over the pool, and secured with bolts in the ground. We don't have this kind but our neighbor does, and it's great if you have kids. You can walk/run across it without worry when the pool is closed. Because when the pool is closed it's more dangerous than when it's open. Unless you have this kind of cover.

Second the rec for standard rectangular. Cover would be cheaper for that shape.

wellyes
01-31-2012, 07:58 AM
4 foot pools are lame. Just put an extra long section of 4 foot in your graduated pool to make water volleyball possible.

khalloc
01-31-2012, 09:50 AM
My neighbors growing up had a kidney-shaped pool and I really like that. So much nicer looking than a standard rectangle if you ask me. But I can understand cost being a factor in that.

mackmama
01-31-2012, 12:43 PM
I'd go for rectangular so you can get an easily-installed electric safety cover. We used to have a kidney-shaped pool, and it was difficult finding a cover for it. I like the tanning ledge, and I'd probably go with 25 meters in length.

twowhat?
01-31-2012, 12:56 PM
If you want an electric cover, you should go for rectangular. I vote for the graduated slope if you have the space - fun for all ages:)

We have a kidney-shaped play pool (deepest part 5 ft) with volleyball net and couldn't do an electric cover because of the shape and the space (not enough space around pool to run straight tracks. So we put in a mesh safety fence instead. The kidney shape is nice in terms of it feeling "organic" but I think rectangular can be beautiful and modern with the right landscaping.

vdrake71
01-31-2012, 12:58 PM
I also recommend rectangular. You will get the most space out of your pool. We have too many friends who have a kidney shape pool and it can be dangerous. The kids can put a tube in the pool and jump from one side of the pool to the other.

gatorsmom
01-31-2012, 02:05 PM
Thank you for all the advice. It is greatly appreciated. I'm so glad you agree with me that a graduated slope is better. I'll be showing this thread to DH for sure. :D