PDA

View Full Version : Bra sizing is expensive - can I take in my existing bras?

kozachka
01-31-2012, 04:08 AM
I finally did a bra sizing at Nordstrom couple months ago. Turns out I need to wear a much smaller band size bras than what I used be/thought I was, which means that most of my expensive bras (save 1 that is the right size and 2 that are close) need to be replace. Are there any anti-bra extenders to make my 36B/C bras fit more like 34C/32D? They are all very good brands, fairly new and still in great shape. I am *this* close to just trying to taking them in myself. Any other suggestions? Some of the bras fit right in the cup but not the band.

wendibird22
01-31-2012, 09:48 AM
Is there an intimates store near you that does alterations? I have one here that will take in bands. They do it for free for customers and for very little $ for bras purchased elsewhere. I've had 3 bras made smaller in the band.

Globetrotter
01-31-2012, 12:34 PM
I bought a bunch of bigger bras recently to replace old ones, thinking that was my size, and I'm really glad I got sized before I used them! I didn't know they could be adjusted to be smaller, but it makes sense. LMK what you find out because I do have a couple that are one band size bigger and I JUST bought those a month ago - ugh.

kozachka
02-01-2012, 03:18 PM
Is there an intimates store near you that does alterations? I have one here that will take in bands. They do it for free for customers and for very little $ for bras purchased elsewhere. I've had 3 bras made smaller in the band.

That's an excellent suggestion. Thank you! Why didn't I think of it myself :loveeyes:?

Uno-Mom
02-01-2012, 03:23 PM
Can you have the professional fitter look at you wearing your current bras? I was a bra fitter in a past life and one thing they don't tell you: the numbers are almost meaningless when you compare between brands! Some brand run much larger and smaller and the size needed also varies between style of bra.

I know it's goofy because you'd expect it to be consistant, but nothing is consistent in womens' clothes!

When I did fittings, I would tell the person what their true size was, then we'd look at the different styles and I'd let them know what size they should try in the certain brands they preferred.

kozachka
02-01-2012, 04:54 PM
Good point about brands and styles. All my bras that still fit or sort of fit are by La Perla and their 'junior' brand Malizia, so they clearly fit differently than say Lise Charmel, Chantelle and Natori. I tend to wear only couple styles, so that part is easier.

I did lose weight and hope to lose some more, so I would have prefrerred a less custom way of taking in bras. I always buy my bras on major sales or from daily deal sites such as RueLaLa, but it still hurts to throw out a bunch on nice bras that are barely worn.

Uno-Mom
02-01-2012, 05:01 PM
Good point about brands and styles. All my bras that still fit or sort of fit are by La Perla and their 'junior' brand Malizia, so they clearly fit differently than say Lise Charmel, Chantelle and Natori. I tend to wear only couple styles, so that part is easier.

I did lose weight and hope to lose some more, so I would have prefrerred a less custom way of taking in bras. I always buy my bras on major sales or from daily deal sites such as RueLaLa, but it still hurts to throw out a bunch on nice bras that are barely worn.
What would they do to take in a band size? Wouldn't it just involve disconnecting the hook part and re-attaching it a couple inches further in? I would just try doing it by hand rather than pay big bucks.

kozachka
02-01-2012, 09:30 PM
I guess. What else can they possibly do to shorten the band?

Would not be willing to pay "big bucks" for this, but if it's just a few bucks like the other poster indicated than it might be worth just to make sure it gets done and properly. I am not particularly handy, and WOTH full time while taking care of DS and chores with DH travelling internationally for weeks at a time.

DrSally
02-01-2012, 09:39 PM
I hope you can get them taken in easily/cheaply. I had to get rid of several really nice bras that didn't fit, but were like new, and so pretty. It is so nice to have bras that fit now, though.

Globetrotter
02-01-2012, 09:42 PM
Could we add more rows of hooks? (though even that is a daunting task for me :))

legaleagle
02-01-2012, 11:33 PM
I would get it done professionally, if you can. You want them to use the heavy-duty thread/techniques because the seams are under quite a bit of stress. I know someone who is a 35 band so she literally gets every single one of her bras altered.

Globetrotter
02-02-2012, 12:55 AM
I bought the bras from Nordstrom Rack and I get $100 of free alterations since I'm a card member. I wonder if they would do that? Perhaps I will ask!

tarnator
02-02-2012, 02:51 AM
Wouldn't there be a way of 'folding' over the band and just stitching it to make it shorter?

kozachka
02-02-2012, 04:28 AM
I bought the bras from Nordstrom Rack and I get $100 of free alterations since I'm a card member. I wonder if they would do that? Perhaps I will ask!

Thanks for sharing! I am a cardholder as well. Maybe I should just ask? Was planning to hit the Nordstrom Rack sale (need smaller size bottoms, yeah!) so will check out bras as well.

sntm
02-08-2012, 01:10 AM
My Nordstroms didn't offer free alterations (and I'm a very good customer!) I had some La Perla I bought at a sample sale years ago and they told me about $20 per bra to tighten the band. For those, it will be worth it, though now with pregnancy they fit again!

Globetrotter
02-08-2012, 01:53 AM
My Nordstroms didn't offer free alterations (and I'm a very good customer!) I had some La Perla I bought at a sample sale years ago and they told me about $20 per bra to tighten the band. For those, it will be worth it, though now with pregnancy they fit again!

It was listed as a benefit in the Nordstrom visa rewards booklet - wonder if it's a new thing?

kozachka
02-08-2012, 04:33 AM
It was listed as a benefit in the Nordstrom visa rewards booklet - wonder if it's a new thing?

Did you have to buy a certain $$ of goods to qualify for thisand benefit? I was at NR last week-end but did not spend that much, plus it was busy both DS and I were getting tired and cranky, so I did not ask. Would be good to know before I head back to have my jeans hemmed.

ETA: Just did a search and found description of this fashion reward http://shop.nordstrom.com/c/rewards-free-alterations. Now I just need to figure out what level I am. In either case, thank you so much for pointing this out, chances are you just saved me some money on hemming jeans and possibly bra alterations, too.

Globetrotter
02-08-2012, 05:29 PM
Did you have to buy a certain $$ of goods to qualify for thisand benefit? I was at NR last week-end but did not spend that much, plus it was busy both DS and I were getting tired and cranky, so I did not ask. Would be good to know before I head back to have my jeans hemmed.

ETA: Just did a search and found description of this fashion reward http://shop.nordstrom.com/c/rewards-free-alterations. Now I just need to figure out what level I am. In either case, thank you so much for pointing this out, chances are you just saved me some money on hemming jeans and possibly bra alterations, too.

I just now figured it out, and I could have used it earlier! Glad to save you some $ :boogie: I'm Level 1 so $100 limit for me. Let me know what you find out, and I will do the same.