PDA

View Full Version : Backyard Patio Opinions

lhafer
01-31-2012, 10:54 AM
We have a concrete backporch patio that is an extention of our slab that I want to extend (so the concrete stays). The current patio is 29'W x 7'4"D (total of ~ 213 sqft). I want to add about 4' to the front and 4' to the side (only 1 side can be extended). I want to be able to put a patio table/chairs out there so I can have somewhere to watch the kids play, read a book, have a place to sit if we have guests, etc. Right now there just isn't enough room. I would rearrange the stuff on the pation so a table/chairs would probably go on the right of the back doors (looking at the picture).

I'm trying to decide the best way to extend the patio. Here are the options we are looking at:

1. Paver stones for the extention part only. Would be a more solid patio extention, but not sure how it would look to have concrete for most of the patio, and then have a paver stone extension. Something very similar to this (you can see the concrete in the back) http://www.ecoyards.com/wp-content/gallery/paver-walkways-and-patios/_mg_3842.jpg
Or something like this, but I would have it flush with the concrete instead of the step down: http://www.garzaslandscape.com/sitebuilder/images/dwightpatioaftera-987x533.jpg

2. Putting Paver stones on top of the concrete and continuing it through the extension. There are many forums and videos that show how to do this. Our house is 2 years old, and the concrete slab is in great shape. Would look more uniform, but would cost a lot more. Something similar to this: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-sfHxFnFIrSQ/Tar0QN2GxtI/AAAAAAAAAg4/t3fg7o2GQUA/s1600/elevated+paver+patio+repaired.JPG

3. Laying flagstone in the grass. Wouldn't be as *solid* as the paver stones, but I think it looks nice. Wouldn't have to worry about drainage as much. Would be a lot easier to do. Might not look as nice, or be quite as functional as the paver patio. I don't want to add mortared flagstone on top of the concrete because I am afraid of shifting/movement as the house is only 2 years old. Here's what that woud look like:

Here's my back patio (excuse the clutter - we haven't done much out here except put in the hot tub!). I laid flagstones in a path around the hottub and sideyard - I would move these to some other areas where I want another pathway. If we covered the entire porch with paver stones, they would butt up to the hottub. These pavers would be thinner, overlay pavers and not super thick pavers. **For perspective: the little yellow roller coaster slide sticks off of the patio 3', so the new extension would go on a foot beyond that.

2259 2260 2261

lhafer
01-31-2012, 11:28 AM
I forgot to mention, I really don't want to do something like stamped concrete, or just adding concrete to the existing patio.

SkyrMommy
01-31-2012, 12:15 PM
What about a brick extension to tie in to the look of the house? And then maybe instead of a brick edger like in the picture, use a grey paver to edge the design to match the concrete color. You can create some great patterns with brick and it's not too difficult to work with.

http://herbertstoneworks.com/wp-content/uploads/brick-patio.jpg

elbenn
01-31-2012, 12:24 PM
I vote for the pavers. I think the uniformness of having the same flooring will make the patio seem bigger and be better for resale.

ETA: I love the half-circle idea given by PP. I think it would look great off of your patio. I would still go with either pavers or brick for a uniform look.

ABO Mama
01-31-2012, 12:27 PM
We have a similar set up, but we extended with a trex deck.

mackmama
01-31-2012, 12:46 PM
I'd go for #2 or #3. I don't like the look of #1 as I like a uniform look. For lower cost, I'd probably choose #3. We are thinking of doing something similar.

indigo99
01-31-2012, 01:04 PM
I'd go with 2 if you can afford it since it looks best. Otherwise, I like the second photo in the first option. I think having a border that matches the concrete makes it look nice, and I just don't think having the stones with grass in between is as useable.