PDA

View Full Version : When should you worry about a nose bleed?

BabyBearsMom
01-31-2012, 11:50 AM
TMI....

I woke up this morning at 5:30am, blew my nose and saw that it was all bloody. Our house gets dry in the winter even with a humidifier and I recently got over a cold so I didn't think anything of it. I just blew my nose again at 10:30, and it is still bloody. The blood is bright red, not dark indicating that it's not old blood. The blood isn't so bad that it is dripping out of my nose or antyhign like that, only when I blow my nose. Anything I should be doing to make the bleeding stop?

twowhat?
01-31-2012, 11:51 AM
Stop blowing your nose:) Use saline to loosen up the boogers instead. Then put vaseline in (gently). It's bleeding because you keep blowing off the scab, so you just need to keep that scab on until it's healed.

SkyrMommy
01-31-2012, 11:56 AM
If the bleeding doesn't stop, you've probably damaged the vessel past what it can clot and may need to go to have it cauterized. Out house is the same way in the winter and small bloody noses aren't out of the ordinary... no blowing, gentle rinses & let it rest. We also have a small humidifier running in the bedroom which seems to help.

pinkmomagain
01-31-2012, 12:32 PM
Nasal saline gel has been a godsend for dd's nosebleeds:
http://www.drugstore.com/ayr-saline-nasal-gel-with-soothing-aloe/qxp11581

She puts it in morning and night and has pretty much eliminated her nosebleeds.

mommylamb
01-31-2012, 01:17 PM
Nose bleeds are common during pregnancy because of the increased blood flow and the capillaries in your nose are so close to the surface.

MamaMolly
01-31-2012, 01:23 PM
Nasal saline gel has been a godsend for dd's nosebleeds:
http://www.drugstore.com/ayr-saline-nasal-gel-with-soothing-aloe/qxp11581

She puts it in morning and night and has pretty much eliminated her nosebleeds.

Thanks for the link. DD got a humdinger of a nose bleed on Sunday. It *poured* blood off and on almost all day. She gets them every now and then but this one freaked me out. I'm going to order the saline gel and see if it helps.