PDA

View Full Version : Are pedestals for washer/dryer worth it?

elbenn
01-31-2012, 05:10 PM
We didn't buy pedestals for our washer and dryer but are considering getting them. I'm wondering if they are worth it to people who have them. What are the benefits?

BayGirl2
01-31-2012, 05:13 PM
For us, yes. Less bending over hen I was pregnant or have a sore back and we use them for storage. We have cabinets above the w/d in our laundry room but they are high and not ideal for things we use all the time like soap. It just seems easier to get cloths in and out and sorted into the right baskets when they are waist height. And I think they look good.

elbenn
01-31-2012, 05:34 PM
That's good to know that it is easier to get clothes in and out. One of the reasons I am thinking about getting them is that our laundry baskets are always in the way of the washer and dryer doors (it's a narrow laundry room).

mackmama
01-31-2012, 05:38 PM
Definitely for me - so much easier having it taller.

BayGirl2
01-31-2012, 05:42 PM
That's good to know that it is easier to get clothes in and out. One of the reasons I am thinking about getting them is that our laundry baskets are always in the way of the washer and dryer doors (it's a narrow laundry room).

You may want to measure to be sure, but I am able to fit 2 baskets high in front of my dryer. To unload it I have 3 BBY laundry baskets, 2 at floor level parallel to the dryer front and one on top of them perpendicular. The dryer door swings above. We have a nice laundry room but its narrow and that's the only way I can fit them.

roseyloxs
01-31-2012, 05:53 PM
My mom used cinderblocks long before pedestals were ever available. Our machines were in the basement so looks didn't matter but she has been using the same cinderblocks for over 30 years now. It really was nice to have the dryer up just a little bit higher.

smiles33
01-31-2012, 06:00 PM
I WISH I had bought pedestals but by the time I realized I should have just paid the money, the model wasn't available anymore. I have to squat to dig clothes out of the front loader and put them into the dryer. Not fun generally, and worse when I was 9 months pregnant or post-partum! When these machines break down (they'll be 10 years old in about 2 months!), I am definitely getting pedestals for the replacements.

edurnemk
01-31-2012, 06:23 PM
I love having the pedestals, plus I got them for free! We got our W&D on sale and the package included the pedestals. I don't have to kneel or bend over, and the drawers in the pedestals provide a LOT of storage space.

twowhat?
01-31-2012, 06:39 PM
Hmmm, I prefer no pedestals because I do a lot of folding on top of the W&D and a pedestal would set it up too high. It also would make the laundry room seem smaller, by virtue of taking away some elbow room, if that makes sense.

KLD313
01-31-2012, 07:39 PM
I didn't get pedestals and I've never missed them because I just keep a folding chair in the laundry room and sit in front of the machines if I have a lot of laundry. I'm also super lazy and have back issues so sitting is helpful.

JoyNChrist
01-31-2012, 08:22 PM
We didn't buy the pedestals (I think the price is ridiculous) but DH built one long pedestal for them that serves the same purpose.

hillview
01-31-2012, 08:47 PM
Hmmm, I prefer no pedestals because I do a lot of folding on top of the W&D and a pedestal would set it up too high. It also would make the laundry room seem smaller, by virtue of taking away some elbow room, if that makes sense.

We have them but I am thinking I am going to pull them out and then I'd be able to fold on top.
/hillary

abh5e8
01-31-2012, 10:00 PM
no pedestals, but our laundry is in the (unfinished) basement, so dh built a shelf with cinderblocks and boards. i love the extra height, but in our current situation, could just not imagine paying the money. (plus, we sometimes get water in the basement, so i did not want anything of any value on the floor).

zukeypur
01-31-2012, 10:06 PM
I stacked ours and bought a tall kitchen cabinet and now have an extra pantry where the dryer used to be.

khm
01-31-2012, 10:19 PM
We do not. Our laundry room is super narrow, laundry baskets can't reside on the floor at all. :) So, we built a shelf area over the top so the laundry baskets can be set up there.

I do think they are pretty but wouldn't be ideal in our laundry room at all.

kellij
01-31-2012, 11:27 PM
I didn't get them at first because of cost and then got them a year later. I much prefer them. I think it's much easier not to squat down so far. I keep stuff in drawers too and I like the extra storage.

GvilleGirl
01-31-2012, 11:47 PM
We never got them and I don't miss them. My plan is to build a folding table on top. I can't be the only one whose child LOVES to do laundry! She puts the clothes in, moves it to the drier, and then takes it out of the drier. If I had them I would have to do all the work!

hellokitty
01-31-2012, 11:54 PM
I didn't think I would like them, since my FL and dryer never had them, but when we got new FL and dryer, it came with the pedestal and I LOVE them! First, I didn't realize how nice it was to NOT bend down. Secondly, it provides a LOT of storage space. Our cabinets above the machine aren't as deep as the machine, so I would have had to perch myself on a step stool to reach detergents, etc.. Since I am short (5'4"), it's easier for me to just get the detergents down low in the pedestal drawers than I have to try to get into the cabinet above. For laundry baskets, I switched to the pop up dorm style laundry baskets yrs ago and never looked back. It looks much less messy and I just stack them on top of my machine and since they are so low profile, you really don't notice them.

smilequeen
02-01-2012, 12:51 AM
I love them. I'm fairly tall, so without them it would be a back breaker for me. They are great storage too.

cono0507
02-01-2012, 01:11 AM
I love them.
I'm tall, so I like that I don't have to bend down to change the laundry. I've used W/D without pedestals when at other peoples' homes and found it much less ideal without them.
Love the storage they provide - fits all the detergents, lingerie bags, etc.

sariana
02-01-2012, 01:35 AM
If they're the kind with drawers, absolutely. We are desperately short on storage space, and the drawers in our pedestals help immensely. The kind without drawers would not be worth it to me.

I should mention that we got ours on sale (they rarely went on sale at that store), plus a military discount. So they were around $50 instead of the regular $200 each. Even with the storage they are not worth $200 IMO. But if you can get a good price, they are worth it.