PDA

View Full Version : If you could move... where to?

mackmama
01-31-2012, 07:15 PM
If you could move, where would you move? Which city or state?

cindys
01-31-2012, 07:23 PM
Northern Virginia...In a heartbeat!

Cindy
Mama to 3 boys...20, 5 & 3 :heartbeat::heartbeat::heartbeat:

SnuggleBuggles
01-31-2012, 07:24 PM
Hard to resist the idea of a tropical paradise. No shoes, relaxed, beautiful... I'm not sure I'm cut out to live away from a city though.

I used to say NYC if I could live comfortably but, after my last visit, I don't feel it anymore. I still would if the chance came along but no longer a strong desire.

Dh and I always said the Bay Area but the climate gives me pause. I like my 4 traditional, predictable seasons.

I'll either have to say here, tropical paradise or NC.

billysmommy
01-31-2012, 07:25 PM
Savannah, GA for the colder months
Nantucket, MA for the warm months

My idea of heaven :)

crayonblue
01-31-2012, 07:26 PM
I wouldn't. I would stay right where we are now. Suburbs of San Diego. A little slice of Heaven.

amandabea
01-31-2012, 07:33 PM
San Diego or back to our old neighborhood in CA.

cvanbrunt
01-31-2012, 07:37 PM
Omaha, Nebraska. Seriously. Don't knock it till you've tried it. :)

katydid1971
01-31-2012, 07:47 PM
I would love to live in Santa Cruz on West Cliff Drive (it just a little out of my price range;)).

lizzywednesday
01-31-2012, 07:51 PM
If I could, I would move to the town in NJ where I grew up; DH would not be happy there, though.

(If he could, DH would move to the town in NJ where HE grew up; I would not be happy there.)

DH is also back on his "let's move to AZ" kick ... but all of our family and some of our friends are here in NJ or in PA & NY, so it's not practical. (Also, I've been involved with my college & high school alumni groups for various activities over the past few years and it would be a HUGE deal for me to leave that behind.)

amldaley
01-31-2012, 08:29 PM
The Pacific Northwest....

It would get me closer to home. I would be happy with anywhere between the Canadian border and Portland, OR. I miss the culture, the diversity, the weather, the water, the moutains.

katydid1971
01-31-2012, 08:33 PM
The Pacific Northwest....

It would get me closer to home. I would be happy with anywhere between the Canadian border and Portland, OR. I miss the culture, the diversity, the weather, the water, the moutains.
The weather?!?!? Really?!?!? I miss the sun. My kids don't even know what it looks like.

LMPC
01-31-2012, 08:56 PM
If I won the lottery, I would move to NYC...UWS. Barring huge sums of money coming my way, I would take NYC...maybe Washington Heights or Central Park North.

♥ms.pacman♥
01-31-2012, 09:18 PM
I miss the culture, the diversity, the weather, the water, the moutains.

:yeahthat: this exactly, but of Northern CA. loved the diversity, and the weather, and being near the ocean and the mountains. if only it wasn't so $$$! pacific northwest is gorgeous, but not sure i could deal with clouds every day!

TX is great, but the summer SUCKS. i often feel like i'm living in a freaking desert. and, i could do without the allergies. also, while people here are super-friendly, it's not very diverse at all and i'm often a little unnerved at some of the political views/stereotypical attitudes towards groups of people i see here.

hillview
01-31-2012, 09:27 PM
south of France!

SkyrMommy
01-31-2012, 09:30 PM
Revelstoke, British Columbia. 22' of snow for skiing and it's only the end of January, and I've been there in the summer and it's gorgeous!

amldaley
01-31-2012, 09:37 PM
The weather?!?!? Really?!?!? I miss the sun. My kids don't even know what it looks like.

I don't mind sun, but I am super pale and can't stand heat. I love grey days and I love having moderate enough weather that I can actually stand to be outside. Last summer, between smoke from major fires that burned very near my house here and recording breaking heat, we did not do any outdoor activities for more than three months.

kijip
01-31-2012, 09:44 PM
In imaginary land where we did not have such strong family and community ties PLUS we could magically afford the much greater cost of housing, I would love to live in New York City or San Francisco. Possibly San Diego.

Jo..
01-31-2012, 09:50 PM
Anywhere that stayed between 50-90 degrees all year. I'd love to garden year round.

cckwmh
01-31-2012, 09:54 PM
annapolis, MD. love it!!!

Mopey
01-31-2012, 10:04 PM
For now I'd stay right here in my hometown of NYC......but move to a much, much bigger apartment. With outside space :D

maestramommy
01-31-2012, 10:08 PM
We actually really like it here. The only reason I could see for moving is to be closer to my ILs, my sister, maybe my cousin. Then I'd move to suburban Philly. That's where the ILs live. It'd be only a couple of hours from my sister, couple of hours from my cousin, and we'd see the ILs a lot more often, which we (and the kids) would love. ILs live in an awesome small town.

But then we'd be far away from Dh's other extended family in NE, and they are pretty awesome too. We've become pretty close with one uncle and aunt since we moved here, our dogs are pals, the aunt totally ROCKS. That'd be hard to give up.

And besides, we really like it here:D

zukeypur
01-31-2012, 10:10 PM
The HGTV dream home in Utah.

cckwmh
01-31-2012, 10:59 PM

:yeahthat:

mom3boys
01-31-2012, 11:09 PM
If I won the lottery, I would move to NYC...UWS. Barring huge sums of money coming my way, I would take NYC...maybe Washington Heights or Central Park North.

Is "Central Park North" a euphemism for Harlem?

As for Wash Heights, meh, I work there. Once I was parked in my car there and a man opened his car door to shield the view of him peeing on the sidewalk. Another man threw garbage out of his car right by a tree even though there was a garbage can 1/2 a block away. I recently realized there is clearly drug dealing going on on a block I walk through all the time.

Hmm, I would take Tribeca except really I would move out of the city and somewhere a little quainter, but with good food like NYC has (well, nowhere has good food like NYC has). Maybe San Diego-I don't like winter as much as I used to. I would move to Portland Oregon if the weather were just a little less rainy (or Seattle, same thing) because they are beautiful cities, lots of outdoor stuff to do, lots of water, cool neighborhoods and houses.

Or if it can be another country, I would move to French wine country. Because I speak French and DH has to go there for business and I am always jealous.

kara97210
01-31-2012, 11:31 PM
south of France!

:yeahthat: Or the Northern coast of Italy. Obviously this fantasy includes not having to worry about finding a job, taking care of aging parents, etc. In the meantime I think Seattle is pretty great.

kcimato
02-01-2012, 12:30 AM
Newport RI

theriviera
02-01-2012, 01:58 AM
Chicago

mjs64
02-01-2012, 03:44 AM
Pacific northwest or bay area

amldaley
02-01-2012, 03:55 AM
annapolis, MD. love it!!!

Have you loved there before? Or were you wishing for the historic area or the water? (B/c if we end up in MD again, we are heading to Annapolis...even though all we can afford is a 2 bedroom apartment there!)

YouAreTheFocus
02-01-2012, 04:16 AM
I'm in the bay area and don't have many complaints. I grew up in NE and have no need to go back to that kind of weather. If I could move anywhere, I'd move a couple towns over to be in a great school district.

Wow, I'm officially a boring mom now ;)

amldaley
02-01-2012, 04:21 AM
I'm in the bay area and don't have many complaints. I grew up in NE and have no need to go back to that kind of weather. If I could move anywhere, I'd move a couple towns over to be in a great school district.

Wow, I'm officially a boring mom now ;)

Being content and being boring are not the same thing! I don't see how this make you "boring"!

MelissaTC
02-01-2012, 08:44 AM
Not sure if I would want NY again to be near family and friends, and the center of the universe ;), or San Diego/Southern California. M and I would love it. DH, not so much. As far as he is concerned, he is living the dream here in NC.

rlmomto5
02-01-2012, 08:49 AM
My DH & I would love to live in Florida. We really don't like cold weather at all. Although, the winter so far here in TN hasn't been bad at all.

DietCokeLover
02-01-2012, 09:12 AM
Isle of Capri, Italy

Realistically, Charleston, South Carolina

oneontheway
02-01-2012, 09:24 AM
Southern Italy without a doubt!

And Austin, TX if I could only move it to the east coast!!

More realistically the burbs of Tampa or Jacksonville FL

KLD313
02-01-2012, 10:21 AM
We're planning to move to FL, probably somewhere on the West coast but if money etc. were no issue I would love to live in Hawaii.

wencit
02-01-2012, 10:49 AM
I'm in the bay area and don't have many complaints. I grew up in NE and have no need to go back to that kind of weather. I'm in New England now and am moving back to the Bay Area at the end of next month. I can. not. wait!!!! The Bay Area is HOME for me, and I can't believe how many things I took for granted while I was living there. Never again.

In my dreams, I'd love to have an apartment in Paris.

infomama
02-01-2012, 10:54 AM
I love St. John but I couldn't live there full time. I would have to say Montana.

spannaz
02-01-2012, 11:13 AM
NYC. Or Paris, as long as I wouldn't have to find a job immediately since I don't speak French :p. DH does though so at least he could work while I pick up the language. I'm sure the kids would eventually help mom out by teaching her French too :).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smilequeen
02-01-2012, 11:21 AM
NYC or Sydney if proximity to family wasn't an issue. Since it is, I am very happy right where I am.

boolady
02-01-2012, 11:35 AM
I love where I am right now, which is the town where I grew up. Nothing has made me smile so much in a long time as taking DD sledding two weekends ago when we had a bit of snow on the same sledding hill where my sisters and friends and I used to go sledding every time it snowed.

Other than where we are right now, which we will likely not ever leave due to family ties, DH and love the Charlottesville, VA area; the Berkshires, in NY; coastal Maine; and I would never rule out spending my summers and autumns in/around Salzburg. :)

ETA: I've never been there, but in my head, I'd love living in California wine country.

lhafer
02-01-2012, 11:35 AM

:yeahthat:

South of France or anywhere in Italy.

Stateside - Colorado.

I've told DH that if a headhunter with a good offer happens in Colorado, to just take it...don't even ask me first.

mackmama
02-01-2012, 12:22 PM

Is it in Midway or Park City?

lcarlson90
02-01-2012, 12:29 PM
If I could live anywhere it would probably be Redondo or Hermosa Beach, CA.

AnnieW625
02-01-2012, 02:28 PM
We really like the area we are at now and we like DD1's school and church so I think that if we had to move another area we'd most likely move to another part of our city with larger ranch houses (about 1800 to 3000 sq. ft.) on 1/4 to 1/3 acre lots or the same size cottage and spanish style homes on less than 1/4 acre lots near the water.

If we were to move out of state DH would like to move to Austin, TX or Portland, OR. He likes the sales tax free advantages of Portland (and the no income tax of nearby Washington) and the income tax free advantage of Texas.

If money were no object then I think I would like to live on Maui or the Malibu/Pacific Palisades area of Los Angeles.

roseyloxs
02-01-2012, 03:11 PM
Oregon Coast. However that is very far away from family so in reality we will move back to the Chicago suburbs when the choice of home location is ours again.

I don't mind sun, but I am super pale and can't stand heat. I love grey days and I love having moderate enough weather that I can actually stand to be outside.

A girl after my own heart. You would like Germany's weather just fine. Although I swear it rains twice as much as it ever did in Seattle.

KpbS
02-01-2012, 03:23 PM
Down the street from my sister--she lives in Georgia now or here :)

YouAreTheFocus
02-01-2012, 03:35 PM
Being content and being boring are not the same thing! I don't see how this make you "boring"!

I felt that way since this is a thread about a "dream" move, and I had just said my dream move was to go a town over a good school district! Total mom dream ;)

I'm in New England now and am moving back to the Bay Area at the end of next month. I can. not. wait!!!!

:waving4: Welcome back!

AnnieW625
02-02-2012, 07:51 PM
ETA: I've never been there, but in my head, I'd love living in California wine country.

Honestly it is pretty, but I don't see all of the hype. I grew up less than an hour from there. We visited maybe once a year. Wine tastings are fun, but everything else is expensive and you can get most of the same wines at the liquor store in Sacramento as you can there.

citymama
02-03-2012, 03:50 AM
I'd stay in exactly the same town where I am but move to a nicer house with a beautfully landscaped yard on a tree-lined street with other nice houses! We live in a phenomenal town and general area, but our block is bereft of old trees and it always makes me sad considering some of the streets just a little bit over.

If I'm really dreaming, I'd also have a vacation home near Haena, Kauai!

crl
02-03-2012, 09:56 AM
Colorado. Maybe Steamboat Springs. Maybe Boulder. Maybe Ft. Collins.

Dh and I are both military brats and we have talked before about what feels like home, the place where people act the way you expect them to and the weather is what you feel like it should be and everything just feels "normal." For me, that's Colorado. For dh, that's Germany. Places we spent formative years.

Catherine

egoldber
02-03-2012, 09:59 AM
If I could live anywhere with enough money to live well, it would be Coronado or Monterey, CA.

I would also love Charleston, SC, but the whole hurricane thing is not for me.

elliput
02-03-2012, 11:00 AM
I need (yes, this a need not a want) to live in the mountains and would like to be closer to family. So that means either the Reno/Tahoe area or western Montana.