PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE in first post-----How to tell a broken nose?

HIU8
01-31-2012, 08:31 PM
Went to the ENT this morning. It's a break/fracture according to the bruising. There is nothing they can do about it until the swelling goes down. Only then will we be able to tell if there is any type of disfigurement. If there is, we can have it taken care of surgically now, or wait until DD is older and her face stops growing. By that time if she wants something done it can be done then. We are opting to wait. The break is not severe. She may end up with a small bump on the bridge of her nose. When she is a teenager, if she wants it taken care of, we will do it then. Right now we are going to do nothing.

DD went to preschool today, but won't be participating in her tumbling class this afternoon.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
DD slipped and fell tonight and face planted on our wooden step in the family room. Her nose has a red mark from one side to the other. It's a bit swollen and it's red under one eye. Her nose did not bleed. Her eyes look ok (checking for concussion). Do you think we need to take her to the ER tonight or call the ENT tomorrow to be seen right away in the morning?

scrooks
01-31-2012, 09:42 PM
If you don't think there is a head injury I would probably wait until the morning. I don't know for sure but I didn't think there was much they could do for a broken nose? I could be wrong though.

I hoope your DD is able to get some rest and isnt in too much pain!

HIU8
02-01-2012, 12:02 AM
Thanks. We made DD stay up for about 3 hours after she fell (so in bed by 8:30 pm). Her pupils looked fine. We just checked her and the bruising has spread. It was on her nose and under 1 eye. Now it's around both eyes (her head is elevated on a pillow to help with the swelling). We plan to check on her every 2 hours tonight. Looks as though the nose is definitely broken though. I will be calling the ENT first thing in the morning. I believe all they do is something like nasonex and pain reliever. I just didn't want to go and sit for hours on end in the ER if we didn't have to.

WatchingThemGrow
02-01-2012, 07:58 AM
poor thing!!! Keep us updated!

wendibird22
02-01-2012, 08:23 AM
Oh poor thing. Hope it is just some nasty bruising.

HIU8
02-01-2012, 11:36 AM
Update in Post 1

ladysoapmaker
02-01-2012, 01:01 PM
I just read your update.

*hugs*

I broke my nose twice as a kid. Once when I was about 3, they really didn't do anything for me at the time and from the pictures you couldn't tell.

The second time was when I was 10. I actually was hit by someone else. That time they actually had to do stuff to fix it. (it had to be rebroken to set it properly after the initial swelling went down.) I still have a deviated septum and if the angle of the camera is right you can see the curve in my nose. Insurance wouldn't pay for it to be fixed when I was in high school because it was cosmetic surgery and wasn't medically necessary because I didn't suffer enough sinus infections . Insurance still won't. I personally don't mind now because it adds character but when I was in middle school and high school it was dreadful because I had this huge nose that didn't go with my face.

I hope everything turns out for your DD. And that she doesn't need any surgeries. And that if she does the insurance will pay for them.

Good Luck,
Jen