PDA

View Full Version : Question to parents with one son circed, one son not

sntm
01-31-2012, 10:28 PM
I was on the fence with DS#1 and XH chose circ, so we did it. Procedure went fine (I insisted on going) but he developed an adhesion a few months later that the pediatrician dealt with...badly. So, not great feelings for that.

Expecting DS#2 and considering not circing. Wonder what the brothers will think of that difference. Would love perspectives on parents who have BTDT (don't need arguments for or against, as I know all those. Thanks!)

sariana
01-31-2012, 10:49 PM
I have a boy and a girl. They are different.

How is it really any different for two boys to be different?

They may have hair that is a different color. One will have moles the other will not have. Different eyes. Etc....

No BTDT, of course, but I wouldn't even worry about it until you start to address puberty, at which point it becomes part of a much larger discussion. Then you are just matter-of-fact about why you made the choices you did. Just as with any other decisions a family faces.

daisymommy
01-31-2012, 10:55 PM
DS#1 (9 yrs. old) is circed, DS#2 is not.
For now, DS1 has not noticed there is any difference. They take baths together, he sees his little brother run around naked, etc.

When they are older, if DS1 asks, I will tell him that at the time, we did what we thought was best, but years later, we learned alot more about circumcision, and decided to make a different choice with his brother.

Fwiw, I am so glad we made the choice to keep DS2 intact.

mom3boys
01-31-2012, 10:56 PM
I asked a similar question a few months ago so I'm posting that thread here:

http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=402294&highlight=circumcision

FWIW, I did end up having my 3rd son circumcised. BUUT, if I hadn't I think it would have been OK too, not a big deal for him to be "different" from his brothers and dad. If my older sons had asked why DS3's penis looked different I would have just said something like. "Everyone looks different. One of you has brown hair and one of you has blond hair. DS3's penis just looks a little different than yours" Or something like that.

RedSuedeShoes
02-01-2012, 01:35 AM
I have three kids - the boys are now 11 and 2.5. The older one is circed and the younger one is not. We thought about this same issue, of course, but ultimately decided it was not a good enough reason to make that choice. Our older son also developed adhesions and it was a real ordeal for years - traumatic for him and a pain for us. We came to believe circ was unnecessary, at the very least. So, if and when it becomes an issue (our older son has not even asked about it to my knowledge), we will explain that we made different choices because we had different experience/knowledge. I am a firm believer in doing the best I can until I know better, then doing better.