PDA

View Full Version : WWYD - Take DS to Doctor or not?

BabbyO
02-01-2012, 01:07 PM
DS has been sick with colds/ear infections/croup since Thanksgiving. At his 2.5 yo checkup (beg of Jan) he had an ear infection.

Last Thursday night he coughed 1-2 times and it sounded like the beginning of croup. Friday the sitter called to tell us he had a very croup-y sounding cough at nap time. We treated with left over meds from when he had croup a month ago (I know...BAD mommy, don't scold me for using left over meds I understand the concerns).

Last night he had a fever of 103. We gave him ibuprofen and he went right back to sleep. His fever was gone this morning.

Daycare (he just started at a center 3x/week) just called and said he's running 103 again. They will give him ibuprofen and monitor. If his fever comes down, he can stay. If not he has to come home.

We have a followup for both boys on Friday AM for their ear infections. Would you try to get DS into the doctor before Friday...or ride it out until then?

FWIW, he otherwise seems pretty much himself. He ate really well at dinner last night and was running all over the gym when I got to daycare. He was in good spirits this morning, too. He even asked to go on the potty when he was up last night to get his ibuprofen.

Sorry this was long...just trying to give the circumstances.

ha98ed14
02-01-2012, 01:32 PM
That's just the day after tomorrow, so I'd wait it out as long as he isn't very lethargic or listless. If his condition worsens, there's always the ER or an Urgent Care option. That's what I'd do. Hope he feels better soon!

mommylamb
02-01-2012, 01:37 PM
I think I'd bring him in, honestly. I'm surprised that your daycare said he could stay if the fever came down. Most daycare policies tend to be that they stay home with any fever over 100.4 until they're fever free for 24 hours without the use of fever meds.

BabyBearsMom
02-01-2012, 01:39 PM
I think I'd bring him in, honestly. I'm surprised that your daycare said he could stay if the fever came down. Most daycare policies tend to be that they stay home with any fever over 100.4 until they're fever free for 24 hours without the use of fever meds.

:yeahthat: Especially if I was concerned about croup. My daycare has the same 24hour fever policy.

SnuggleBuggles
02-01-2012, 01:40 PM
I'd take him in sooner. Were you using old antibiotics? If so, I'd at least personally want new ones for a full course. (wasn't sure what kind of meds you mean so disregard if I guessed wrong). He is getting worse, not better and it has been several days of progression. Something is at play that they may be able to help with.

BabbyO
02-01-2012, 01:47 PM
I know our daycare's fever policy is not the norm...and I'm ok with that. (Its part of why we picked this center. I can't come home every time DS has a cold and I'm not allowed to work from home). They'll send him home if he starts acting lethargic and his fever doesn't come down.

The croup is gone. After the meds this weekend, he's shown no additional signs of croup. This is definitely a new virus.

I'd take him in sooner. Were you using old antibiotics? If so, I'd at least personally want new ones for a full course. (wasn't sure what kind of meds you mean so disregard if I guessed wrong). He is getting worse, not better and it has been several days of progression. Something is at play that they may be able to help with.

Nope, not antibiotics. They treat croup symptoms with steroids. It is a 3 day course. We've done this MANY times and the meds hadn't expired (they are only about 1 mo old). DS gets croup at the end of almost every virus (when croup typically shows up).

The weird thing is he doesn't seem to be acting sick at all...just has a fever. He was the same way last night.

Tondi G
02-01-2012, 03:50 PM
That fever might mean he has another Ear Infection or that the 1st one never fully cleared up. I would call and see if your ped can see him tomorrow, and bring your other DS for his ear check then too (it's usually quick). Then they can open up your boys re-check appt. for other patients.

I'd hate for you to wait and then have DS wake up screaming in the middle of the night cause his ear drum ruptured.

My DS2 was prone to EI's whenever he got a cold/congestion .... He takes after me in that department. Hope your little one feels better soon. Good Luck!

One other suggestion for you ... you can take it or leave it. I didn't really believe in the Garlic oil for ear infections thing until this last summer my DS2 out of the blue said "mommy, my ear hurts"... no cold or congestion leading up to it... nothing. I decided to use the Garlic and Mullein ear drops and within a couple of days he said his ear was fine. If nothing else the warm oil (I put the little bottle in my pocket for a few minutes to warm it up) is very soothing to the ear .... you can use it at the same time with antibiotics as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Mullein-Garlic-Compound-Drops-Ounces/dp/B001E8DBU8

Tondi G
02-01-2012, 03:51 PM
Oh and don't feel bad about using the steroids again. My ped told me, well now you have some on hand to use if he ever wakes up in the middle of the night again barking like a seal.

crl
02-01-2012, 03:51 PM
I'd take him to the ped.

Catherine

mikala
02-01-2012, 04:12 PM
I'd call for an earlier appointment today or tomorrow. Add me to the list of people surprised that daycare allowed him to stay with a fever that high.