PDA

View Full Version : How long did they (say they would) let you go before inducing?

mommylamb
02-01-2012, 05:48 PM
I just got back from my weekly appointment at the high risk clinic where I have a non stress test and ultrasound each week now due to gestational diabetes. Everything is perfectly fine. Baby is in the 42nd percentile, my sugars are totally normal, controlled with diet for after meals and glyburide for my fasting number only. No reason to be concerned about anything.

But the doctor there-- who is really nice and who I like a great deal-- told me that they will want to induce me by my due date if I don't go into labor before that. My due date is next Friday, so just over a week from now. She said that because of the GD and my age (I'm 36) they don't want me to go past my due date because the rate of still birth goes up substantially. I told her that I would rather not be induced and she said that if I really objected to it, I could just come in more often for NSTs, but that she would highly recommend that I get induced next Friday if he's not here by then. She wasn't being pushy, just matter of fact.

I will probably just go along with the induction. My only concern is that I am pretty sure that my due date is really a few days too early. I was tracking everything when we were TTC, and I know I ovulated late (was taking OPK). When I went in for my first appointment with my midwife, I told her that and she sent me for a sonogram, which confirmed that he was about 6 days later than the due date according to the first day of last period. But, my OB's office said their policy is only to change a due date if the difference on the ultrasound is 7 days or more, so my due date remained the same from their perspective.

So I'm interested to know how long your doctors said they'd let you go after your due date, especially if you were AMA or had any health issues like GD. Again, my baby is probably not impacted at all by the GD because my sugars are nearly always where they should be and he is exactly where he should be growth wise.

BabyBearsMom
02-01-2012, 05:53 PM
Hmmmm....well you know my experience with my OB, so I won't go into that. But my practice usually let people go until 41 weeks before induction (you can push to 42 weeks per my midwife, but at 42 weeks you have to be induced). When my OB was pushing the early induction/c-section, I told her that I thought my true due date was actually about 3 days later than they thought and she said that I could wait until then if I wanted. I'm not AMA or GD though, but I have had my share of issues this pregnancy as you know. Maybe when you go back to your regular doctor you could bring this up and say that you would really prefer to hold off until the 6 days past your due date as shown in the sonogram and see what they say.

Induction kind of sucks because you go 0 to 60 in no time with the contractions, but you are in the hospital, so you wouldn't be laboring at home for hours in lots of pain if you are trying to look at a bright side.

smiles33
02-01-2012, 05:54 PM
I was only allowed to go 1 week late with DD1 (and didn't have GD then and wasn't of AMA) before my OB induced me. DD1 ended up being 8 pounds 2 oz. My body responded really well to the Cervidil (as I wasn't dilated past 1 or 2 cm) and then needed pitocin for a few hours.

With DD2, I had GD (still wasn't AMA yet) but I was happy to be induced right at 40 weeks for a number of reasons (e.g., DD1 would be with grandparents before we left for the hospital so it could be a proper goodbye versus in the middle of the night, my body responded to the induction really well the first time, I was super uncomfortable and wanted the baby out, and my maternity leave had a firm return date due to the school year start date pressures so I wanted her out as soon as possible). DD2 was 7 pounds 2 oz so it's likely another week would have added a pound like DD1. My doctor wasn't worried about my GD (controlled by diet and exercise) so I was the one who asked about the induction. I realize it's not a popular stance here on BBB, but I was so glad to be induced for all the reasons stated above. Labor/delivery went smoothly and my body responded well to the cervidil and pitocin.

daisymommy
02-01-2012, 05:58 PM
Without any health problems, 42 weeks. That has been the policy at 3 separate offices with different midwives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kellij
02-01-2012, 05:59 PM
Well, my dr induced at 38 weeks 5 days due to GD and the fact that his dd was 12/31 and I think she didn't want to induce me right by Christmas. My body wasn't ready. The induction failed and I ended up with a c-section from "failure to progress." I had no idea how common that is when your body isn't ready and really regret not being more informed.

I would at least ask them to give you the weekend, even just a few days can make such a difference in your cervix. Also, based on everything I've learned since then, it seems like the biggest issues with whether inductions fail or succeed is how ready your cervix is. So before I'd let her induce me, I'd have her check my cervix and see if you are dilated and effaced at all. If you aren't, I'd really try to avoid induction. If you're really effaced, you may only need a little pitocin to get things going and that seems to be more likely to have a favorable outcome. (In terms of avoiding a c-section).

Oh yeah, I don't have GD this time, but I am AMA. I have until 42 week if all looks well with baby. I'm also a vbac, so that's it's own special set of fun issues. :)

mommylamb
02-01-2012, 06:03 PM
I'm really not very uncomfortable, believe it or not for someone who is 38 weeks 5 days. I almost can't believe I'm saying this, but I honestly feel great, so I'm not in a rush for that reason. I do feel like it would be nice for him to come by my due date because I want to maximize my maternity leave with the baby, so from that perspective, scheduling an induction for no later than my due date is a good thing. And, it's nice to be able to plan so that my parents will be here to take care of DS. But that's not really a big problem for us because my sister lives very close and we have other close friends that also live very close so multiple people who have said they'll take DS at a moment's notice (:love-retry: I'm very lucky that way).

Anyway, I'll probably go along with the induction because even if my due date is off, it's not a huge difference, and I imagine by that time he should be fine. But it wasn't something I had planned to do.

ABO Mama
02-01-2012, 06:05 PM
I went 42 weeks.

mctlaw
02-01-2012, 06:12 PM
I haven't specifically discussed it with my OB yet, but from others' experience I know he will go to or even past 42 weeks, though I think regular NSTs occur after 40 weeks. I am AMA and I don't specifically know of a risk that applies seperately to AMA moms. I am not GD (that I know of, have 2nd test next week) and I don't know if that would impact induction policy.

I've heard that there is a disturbing new trend to induce AMA moms if they do not to into labor on their due dates. One of my DH's employees was told that is the way it would be for her (but then she had an early emergency c-section so it did not come to fruition). I have to say I'm glad my OB does not subscribe to that and to me it sounds like CYA more than anything. I'm not aware of any ACOG bulletin that promotes this practice, so at a minimum I would ask about that. I'm only mildly crunchy when it comes to birth practices, FWIW.

citymama
02-01-2012, 06:15 PM
DD 1 - 42 weeks, and I put them to the test (she was born 2 days before I hit 42 weeks)

DD2 - I didn't ask what the policy was, but I think the hospital's policy was also 42 weeks. However, my fluid levels were really low, and had I not gone into labor when I did (the day before my due date) who knows what they would have done. We never had the induction chat.

Here's hoping you and baby stay healthy all the way, and that you go into labor on your own sometime late next week! How exciting - I didn't realize you were so close!

Seitvonzu
02-01-2012, 06:16 PM
i was told i could go until 39 weeks. i was super angry about this, and protested, talked to my nurse educator and a bunch of other medical people , etc. i was basically told, in no uncertain terms "if we don't do this, your baby could be born DEAD." (yes, the doctor said "born Dead")

i'm not someone who typically questions medical stuff, but i really didn't like this....

despite my dramatic failure of the GD test, my numbers/general health/weight gain all through my pregnancy was very good. i didn't think i should be induced. it didn't seem medically necessary to me. i was 29 when i had my baby (so GD was my only "health" issue)

despite the angst-- i had my baby when i was 37 weeks ;) so it ended up being moot. i guess my child wanted to meet santa? i was told i couldn't be induced BEFORE 39 weeks (because that's optimal for lung development? i was being induced on jan 4th, so i was all "why can't i be induced dec 31st?;)) well, my 37 weeker was a very easy labor/delivery, so i guess things really do turn out for the best.

i'm sorry your stressed. i think they really do worry alot about these GD babies...sometimes their insurance/malpractice dictates these things so they parrot back scary stats at you, instead of understanding your preferences. *sigh*

kellij
02-01-2012, 06:20 PM
i was told i could go until 39 weeks. i was super angry about this, and protested, talked to my nurse educator and a bunch of other medical people , etc. i was basically told, in no uncertain terms "if we don't do this, your baby could be born DEAD." (yes, the doctor said "born Dead")

i'm not someone who typically questions medical stuff, but i really didn't like this....

I essentially had the same thing told to me about having a vbac after 2 c-sections (as the reason why he wouldn't do a vbac with me - my family would sue him if both the baby and I die). It was one of the most traumatic and upsetting things I've ever heard from a dr.

YouAreTheFocus
02-01-2012, 06:23 PM
Well, I was in a unique situation that was similar to what kelli discussed in her second paragraph. My doc checked my cervix at at 36 wks and discovered I was already 2-3cm. She put me on semi bedrest bc she didn't want him coming at that point. Well I kept dialating like a cm per wk wo feeling a thing, and by 38 wks I was 5cm and it was basically, enough is enough, we need to schedule an induction. I went in at 39 wks and was 7cm, they broke my water, and it was totally 0-60, and I had him 2.5 hrs later.

My ob really put her foot down at 38 wks, she made it clear that she wasn't comfortable with my going any longer. I trust her 1000%, so I consented.

Beth24
02-01-2012, 06:26 PM
I had GD and was AMA (9 years older than you)! I delivered at 39 weeks exactly. My OB never mentioned inducing...he just increased the frequency of my stress tests to weekly at 36 weeks, and would have had me come in every other day after week 39. Hope your baby decides to come on his own so you don't have to even worry about induction!!!

SnuggleBuggles
02-01-2012, 06:31 PM
With ds1 they really started laying on the guilt and pushing at 41 weeks but they were willing to let me go to 42 weeks if all was well on BPPs and NSTs. Induction was scheduled for 42w2d (the soonest they could get me in) but I went into labor at 42w.

With ds2, same deal, but they were not pushy and didn't use scare tactics. My stress was that if I got to 42 weeks I would have to go to the hospital vs my birth center. Hence why I had my membranes swept at 10 days past EDD!

ast96
02-01-2012, 06:37 PM
I have had three inductions. One was emergency because the baby stopped moving at 37 weeks. Two were voluntary. I have had great experiences with inductions (I know, also not popular on this board).

I think my OB would let me go to 41 weeks, but the size of my babies has always been troublesome. Yes, I know, it's not size, it's position. But honestly, my inductions have been voluntary because I was SO READY to go. All my babies have been over 8.5 pounds -- even the 37-weeker.

This time, like you, my due date is a little off. I'm due 05/08 but really it should be more like 05/13-14. So I won't push for an induction until 39 weeks. We'll see how big I get and the baby gets -- I'm usually lumbering around like the Queen Mary, ready to stage a sit-in at the OB's office at 37 weeks!

sidmand
02-01-2012, 06:50 PM
I don't know if it's the case with GD but with regular diabetes the placenta starts to break down around 38 weeks so then it's kind of a game of chicken between how long they can safely wait and no damage has happened.

I have Type 2 diabetes and was AMA with my second. DS was induced at 38 weeks and 1 day. (OB would've let me go to 39 weeks but probably no later). He/I wasn't ready and we did end up with emergency c section but my blood pressure was also very high and that was also a waiting game with pre-e so I dont think there was much choice. Because of that history DD was a scheduled c section also at 38w1d.

mommylamb
02-01-2012, 07:06 PM
I don't know if it's the case with GD but with regular diabetes the placenta starts to break down around 38 weeks so then it's kind of a game of chicken between how long they can safely wait and no damage has happened.

The doctor did say that there are often problems with the placenta due to GD the later you go. I really hope he just comes on his own. DH is quite excited about trying to encourage his entrance into the world :tongue5:. I told him he needs to wait till after Friday when I finish work. Guess we all know what I'll be doing this weekend.

MelissaTC
02-01-2012, 07:09 PM
Without any health problems, 42 weeks. That has been the policy at 3 separate offices with different midwives.

That was my experience as well. I was due on th 11th and he arrived on the 23rd, the afternoon before I was supposed to arrive to begin my induction.

mommylamb
02-01-2012, 07:14 PM
DS1 is also getting really anxious. Today when I picked him up at pre-K he wanted to know if DS2 was here yet (obviously not), and then started whining about "when's he going to be here?" and then said "I don't want to be a little boy all by myself!" It was really cute, even though he was totally whining.

megs4413
02-01-2012, 07:14 PM
Is your cervix favorable? The GD does complicate the picture even if your sugars are OK. If it were me and my cervix was favorable, I'd go for the induction. I've had one scheduled induction (heart issues for me at the end of the pregnancy, i had gone into labor at 31wks and had it stopped, so my cervix was more than ready) and one medically necessary induction (water broke without onset of labor). Yes, the ctx are more intense, but I had good deliveries with both kids and wouldn't hesitate to have another induction if for some reason it seemed warranted.

mommylamb
02-01-2012, 07:16 PM
What do you mean by favorable? Do you mean effaced and/or dilated? At this point I don't know, but I'll ask my OB on Friday to do an internal and let me know the lay of the land.

DrSally
02-01-2012, 07:19 PM
With the first preg, i was 34, and the Ob woudld not induce until I was 8 days late at the least. I don't think there's a difference In risk btwn waiting 1 or 2 weeks, and we needed to go earlier b/c of Ds's work schedule.

With Dd, I was 36 and they knew i had a difficult virth the first time, so they wanted to induce at due date or even earlier. I was very against that and wanted to go when her time came b/c the last induction was so hellacious. They thought it was "too risky". My water broke 4 weeks early, so it was mute, but i think they go purely off statistics.

JTsMom
02-01-2012, 07:21 PM
42 weeks +, and GD or AMA wouldn't matter if everything looked good. I would definitely want to know my Bishop score before consenting, and wouldn't take induction lightly b/c it can increase the chances of having a C/s and/or fetal distress.

Kaylee31
02-01-2012, 07:25 PM
I also have GD and have been controlling it w/diet. My numbers have been good and at acceptable levels, but I was just diagnosed with pre-eclampsia last week, after my 24 hr. urine results showed an high level of protein. I also had developed hypertension. I had to stay overnight in L&D for another 24 hr. urine, blood tests, BP monitoring, NSTs, and a bio-physical profile u/s. Thankfully, the baby looks great and growth is right on track despite all this. I was prescribed Labetalol for the high blood pressure & have been going in for NSTs twice a week and checkups once a week. My dr. told me before I left L&D that he prefers to deliver at 37 weeks when there is a case of pre-eclampsia and that is unlikely I will be able to try for a VBAC, but because the baby seems to be doing well, no definite plans were made beside continuing to monitor me & the baby closely. I am 37 wks, and 4 days today. I have a checkup tomorrow, so most likely they will want to schedule a c/s for next week, or possibly even this weekend. Eek!

flashy09
02-01-2012, 07:36 PM
41 weeks, but they are pretty pro induction and will induce at 38 weeks for convience reasons (I mentioned my Mother was out of town for my due date and Dr offered to induce that week at 38 weeks) and when I went 4 days over it was sheer panic, lol, even with a perfect pregnancy the whole time.

JBaxter
02-01-2012, 07:46 PM
I just got back from my weekly appointment at the high risk clinic where I have a non stress test and ultrasound each week now due to gestational diabetes. Everything is perfectly fine. Baby is in the 42nd percentile, my sugars are totally normal, controlled with diet for after meals and glyburide for my fasting number only. No reason to be concerned about anything.

But the doctor there-- who is really nice and who I like a great deal-- told me that they will want to induce me by my due date if I don't go into labor before that. My due date is next Friday, so just over a week from now. She said that because of the GD and my age (I'm 36) they don't want me to go past my due date because the rate of still birth goes up substantially. I told her that I would rather not be induced and she said that if I really objected to it, I could just come in more often for NSTs, but that she would highly recommend that I get induced next Friday if he's not here by then. She wasn't being pushy, just matter of fact.

I will probably just go along with the induction. My only concern is that I am pretty sure that my due date is really a few days too early. I was tracking everything when we were TTC, and I know I ovulated late (was taking OPK). When I went in for my first appointment with my midwife, I told her that and she sent me for a sonogram, which confirmed that he was about 6 days later than the due date according to the first day of last period. But, my OB's office said their policy is only to change a due date if the difference on the ultrasound is 7 days or more, so my due date remained the same from their perspective.

So I'm interested to know how long your doctors said they'd let you go after your due date, especially if you were AMA or had any health issues like GD. Again, my baby is probably not impacted at all by the GD because my sugars are nearly always where they should be and he is exactly where he should be growth wise.

I was 41 years old with Jack , no GD, gained 30lbs BP within normal (118/78 at my last appt) Now one OB wanted me to agree to an induction at 38 weeks due to Jack's size but my regular gyn/OB and I talked and he said I was free to go up to 42 weeks but he would prefer me not go past 41 weeks being that we were dealing with a big baby. I was induced at 41 weeks and he was born 12 hrs after they started the real induction. 24 after they did the stuff to soften my cervix. I had a difficult time going into labor with all my boys and needed pit to augment my labors. I was very comfortable with 41 week mark I was NOT with any earlier.

SnuggleBuggles
02-01-2012, 07:52 PM
41 weeks, but they are pretty pro induction and will induce at 38 weeks for convience reasons (I mentioned my Mother was out of town for my due date and Dr offered to induce that week at 38 weeks) and when I went 4 days over it was sheer panic, lol, even with a perfect pregnancy the whole time.

38 weeks? Seriously? That flies in the face of the recommendations that were all over the news this past year. 39 weeks unless needed for medical reasons. Gosh, I thought that was the standard of care to wait. I can't remember which organization gave the recommendation, might have been the ACOG.

weech
02-01-2012, 07:59 PM
My practice wanted me to go to 42 weeks, but my BP spiked at my 41 week appointment and they had me go straight to the hospital. Turns out it was a freak reading and was much lower when I checked in, but they kept me. I went in on a Monday afternoon, started all the induction stuff that night, and had DS early Wednesday morning.

megs4413
02-01-2012, 08:16 PM
What do you mean by favorable? Do you mean effaced and/or dilated? At this point I don't know, but I'll ask my OB on Friday to do an internal and let me know the lay of the land.

I meant according to the Bishop's score.

this is from amazing pregnancy.org:

"Consistency of the cervix is measured on a scale of firmness from firm to soft. The softer the cervix is, the better the chance of vaginal delivery.

The Bishops Score generally follows this scale:

Score Dilatation Effacement Station Position Consistency

0 closed 0 – 30% -3 posterior firm
1 1-2 cm 40 -50% -2 mid-position moderately firm
2 3-4 cm 60 -70% -1,0 anterior soft
3 5+ cm 80+% +1,+2

A point is added to the score for each of the following:
Preeclampsia
Each prior vaginal delivery

A point is subtracted from the score for:
Postdates pregnancy
Nulliparity
Premature or prolonged rupture of membranes
Interpretation

cesarean rates: first time mothers women with past vaginal deliveries

scores of 0 – 3: 45% 7.7%
scores of 4 - 6: 10% 3.9%
scores of 7 - 10: 1.4% .9%

Induction is generally attempted when a mother has a favorable Bishop's score. A mother may be given misoprostol, cytotec or prostaglandin gel to help ripen the cervix and improve the score. A score of five or less is said to be "unfavorable." If induction is indicated, the mother would be a candidate for a cervical ripening agent. These are usually introduced one or two nights before the planned induction. A score of eight or nine would indicate that the cervix was very ripe and induction would have a high probability of being successful."

**the tables didn't copy well, but you get an extra point in your score if you had a previous successful vaginal delivery.**

lowrioh
02-01-2012, 09:20 PM
Although they offered to induce me anytime after 38 weeks, they said that they would let me go until 42 weeks unless something came up. I was 36 and was considered high risk because I have epilepsy. DD2 wasn't measuring particularly large either. When I went in for my 40 week check up they had me call and schedule an induction for exactly 42 weeks. DD2 was born at 40 weeks 4 days so I didn't have to wait that long.

firstbaby
02-01-2012, 09:42 PM
I'm in NoVa also and the practice I delivered DS3 with went to 42 weeks. I was convinced I would have the baby WAY before then - a month of contractions, etc - but lo and behold, he was born a couple of days before 42 weeks. They did want to induce but once I started crying at their check out desk, they backed off a bit. I did a NST a few days before he was born and my OB stripped my membranes and didn't seem to do the trick. I was stressed - did not want another induction. I was 36 also, but no GD. I made an accupuncture appointment for the next morning, and went into labor hours before the appointment. I had tried all the other wives tales - friendly activity with DH, eggplant parm, foot massage, lots of walking, spicy food, none of it worked. PM me if you want the name of the accupuncturist - she was highly recommended to me.

mommylamb
02-01-2012, 09:55 PM
I will definitely ask about the Bishop Score, and let them know I want to know what that is before making a final decision. Personally, I'd be comfortable going a few days past my due date because I'm pretty sure my due date is a few days too early, but I'm not going to go too much past that. We'll see what the OB says on Friday when I go in. Hopefully this whole thing will be moot and he will come on his own before we get to my due date.

DS1 came at 39 weeks, 1 day.

babyonway
02-01-2012, 10:05 PM
I was AMA when DD was born (37) and I have Type 1 Diabetes. My perintologist would not let me go 1 day past my due date because she said that in her experience the placenta can degrade after 40 weeks with diabetics. I had a scheduled C-section (baby was large) 2 days before my due date. When she was born I still had no signs that she was going to come anytime soon.

It still makes me kind of sad that I don't know what a real contraction feels like :(

maestramommy
02-01-2012, 10:46 PM
Under normal circumstances, my current OB practice doesn't let you go beyond 41 weeks.

misshollygolightly
02-01-2012, 11:00 PM
My OB offered the option for an induction several days past my due date, but did not really push. His cut-off was about 7-10 days past the due date (and I went about 8 days past my due date before going into labor naturally, thank God!). It's nice to have options. I'm really glad DD finally came on her own, but I understand that waiting too long can be risky. Here's hoping everything is smooth sailing for you, OP!

curiousgeorge
02-01-2012, 11:16 PM
Both of my boys were nine days late.

With DS1 I was allowed to continue to wait it out (AMA at 36, barely passed 3hr GD test) until they finally scheduled an induction on Monday for a Tuesday, delivering at 41w 2d. I was only 1cm and barely effaced so we all decided an induction was best. Once I hit 40 weeks I had to come in every other day (including Saturday) for NST with both sonograms and NST for the baby. I continued to pass and since it was my first one and all was good they let me go. Showed up at the hospital at 8am, pitocin worked well for me (so did the epidural...pit contractions hit me like a freight train) and baby was born at 6:30pm.

With DS2 same story. I was even more AMA (ha!) at 39 at delivery. Once again I barely passed the 3-hour GD test and was put on a modified diet. Once I hit 40w I was in every other day for the sonogram/NST. Was only 1cm at 40w 6d so on Friday an induction was scheduled for Monday. My water broke Sunday night (full moon!) and went into L&D a couple of hours later. Ended up on pitocin again since I sat at 3cm for hours overnight despite painful contractions. Since it worked well before I didn't mind...was just exhausted from being overdue and caring for a toddler.

In the end I got a healthy baby and a pretty easily delivery each time, so I can't say that I personally have any problem with induction. It was fun to know what it is like to have your water break and have to go through that whole scenario with DS2, but I have to say that showing up well-rested at 8am and having a baby by dinnertime sure was nice :-).

Good luck with whatever you end up doing!!

sntm
02-02-2012, 02:13 AM
42 weeks is the general recommendation, and to my knowledge AMA doesn't pay into that. GD might, but personally and professionally, I think due dates are a crock of **** and no one should be allowed to say/write/chart/make decisions around a single day. A week is as specific as they should be. I guarantee you there are no studies looking at one day past EDD. I understand the motivation - it's a lot easier on the doc if you stop being an u known and become a delivered patient, much like it is easier for me to do mastectomies instead of lumpectomies which often require reexcisions, but it doesn't make it right and it surely doesn't make it safer.

boolady
02-02-2012, 10:30 AM
I was pretty happy with my practice when DD was born, because my bp had been going up, so I had left work. They initially talked of scheduling an induction for a few days after my due date, but I didn't want that. It ended up that when my pressure kept going up (though I never had pre-e...they were just worried that it would come on quickly), and given that I was not dilated at all or effaced at all, I agreed to be scheduled for 41 weeks, 1 day. They would otherwise not have pushed the issue.

kara97210
02-02-2012, 11:35 AM
I had GD with my DD and am a similar age - 37 when she was born. My doctor wanted to induce on my due date. I wasn't comfortable with that and instead we negotiated that I would do NST 3/week starting at 38 weeks and induction at 41 weeks if we got there. I ended up delivering at 38w 3d.

MommyAllison
02-02-2012, 01:30 PM
I used an OB with DD1, CNM in practice w/OBs with DS, and standalone CNM with DD2, had no health issues or AMA with any of the deliveries. I was told they'd schedule induction at:

DD1 - 41 weeks
DS - He was born a few hours before my 41week appt, when we would have done NST, ultrasound and discussed from there when to induce.
DD2 - 42 weeks (she may have let me go a couple days beyond, but 42 weeks was as far as I was comfortable with)

Each baby has been increasingly late (5 days, 7 days, 10 days) but I haven't been induced with any of them, and DD2 who was 10 days late came out covered in vernix (aka not 10 days overdue!). I must ovulate pretty late, so my due dates aren't very accurate.

catsnkid
02-03-2012, 11:42 AM
I was induced 12 days post dates and had him via c- section at exactly 42 weeks due to flr to progress, but I feel that the reason it didn't progress is b/c I have a narrow pelvis, he was in an oblique position and had a large head- so I feel I would have wound up with c-sect anyway. I had no other complications with my pregancy- if I did I would follow advice for induction. I also was super careful about tracking dates and I think I thought they were about 4 days off because of having a short cycle, but not a big deal I think.

carolinamama
02-03-2012, 12:25 PM
I haven't read through the rest of the replies but I just wanted to tell you that inductions aren't all evil. I was induced all three times so I have no idea what it is like to go into labor. My babies don't like to come out. My OB/midwife group will induce at 41 weeks but let you go until 42 if all looks good. DD was induced at 38.5 weeks since DS2 was big (evicted at 41+) and she looked like she would be on the big side. Only AMA for DD but that point didn't come up regarding delivery.

smilequeen
02-03-2012, 01:00 PM
I was never given a specific date, but to be fair, I've never gone past my due date.

I've had 2 very different inductions. With my first my water broke but labor didn't start. That induction ended in a C/S. It sucked. I swore I'd never do it again unless I had to. I had my VBAC with DS2, he was born on his due date. Then came DS3. I had pre-eclampsia and I ended up being induced b/c of that at 39 weeks. It went perfectly well...certainly faster than DS2, but a bit more painful with the contractions b/c I had to lay a certain way or his HR would drop and I was just getting over the flu. Still 11 hours and he was here in a few easy pushes. DS2 I was in labor for 2 days!

AnnieW625
02-03-2012, 02:18 PM
I never made it that far with either child to talk about post 40 week induction, but with DD1 I was scheduled to see the doctor up until my due date. I had DD1 at 37w 6d. I was induced with DD1 because my water had been broken by the nursing staff (long story, but being a first time mom I agreed) and 3 hours later my labor was stalled. Pitocin worked too well for me, and it was very painful. I had DD1 less than 4 hrs. after the pitocin started.

With DD2 I had her at 38w 6d, so she was 8 days early, but my OB never mentioned induction. Unless I was really uncomfortable I got the feeling he wouldn't have mentioned it. I also had a standing appt. every week until I went into labor that last month.

A friend of mine who went to the same doctor I had with DD1 was induced a week early, but she was fine with that. I didn't get the point, but it wasn't my decision and therefore didn't criticize.

Gena
02-03-2012, 02:25 PM
I was induced when DS was 10 days late. The OB would have let me go a couple days longer, but my amniotic fluid was gettting low and the placenta looked bad (degraded) on the ultrasound. Honestly I think that I still would not have gone into labor naturally even if I had been given the extra couple of days.

KLD313
02-03-2012, 02:46 PM
It never came up with DD because my water broke at 38 wks. I asked my new midwife how long they'll let someone go and she said 42 wks but they have ways to get you into labor before that so they rarely have ppl go much past 42 wks.

brittone2
02-03-2012, 02:48 PM
42 weeks but they do stress testing/biophysical profile starting at 41 weeks. I didn't have any concerning history and I don't know what their policy is in the case of GD, etc.

That was the policy of my birthcenter midwives and my HB midwife (also a CNM).

The latest I went was 40w2d and that was just 20 mins into the 2 days (DD was born a bit after midnight).

eta: with DD I had a check on my EDD and they wanted me to start EPO at that point to see if it would encourage things.

MamaSnoo
02-03-2012, 03:10 PM
I had GDM with my first. Still holding out hope that I won't this time ;).

DD was breech, and we were planning for c-section for that reason, but it is really the same issue, in a way. My OB wanted to do the CS at 39 weeks (he was concerned about the quality of the placenta if I went longer), but I went into labor at 37-3/7 so I has my CS then. I recall he said that if she had turned, he would have induced me on or by my due date if I did not deliver on my own.

ETA: I was not AMA with DD, but am AMA this time around.

mommylamb
02-03-2012, 03:20 PM
Well, I'm going in today for my OB appointment (and I can't remember if I'm seeing one of the OBs or one of the midwives-- this is the problem with a really large practice). I'll let whoever I see know what the high risk doctor at the clinic told me. The probably already have it in my file though. And I'll talk to them about my concerns that my due date was never really right, so inducing me on my due date is actually like inducing me at 39 weeks, 1 day.

I really hope it doesn't come to that and that he comes on his own though. Today is my last day at work, and it would be nice if he came within the next couple of days so that I have more time with him. I am scared about an unsuccessful induction. I'll have the OB/midwife give me an internal today to see what's going on with my cervix.

Maybe he'll come soon, but I just have a feeling that he's not ready yet.

AnnieW625
02-03-2012, 03:29 PM
I'll have the OB/midwife give me an internal today to see what's going on with my cervix.

Maybe he'll come soon, but I just have a feeling that he's not ready yet.

Good luck! With DD1 I had my internal exam and was 4.5 cm dialsted at 37w 2d, and nothing happened; plus tge AM nurse who ended up delivering DD1 said I could have gone another 2 weeks at 4+ cm (gosh I felt dumb that I had my water broken for nothing!). With DD2 I had an internal exam at 38w 5d, and wasn't even dialated, but my water broke 8 hrs. later. After the exam I went home made dinner, and since it was spring I pulled some weeds in my backyard. Apparently that was enough to get things started:)

mctlaw
02-03-2012, 03:33 PM
I had GDM with my first. Still holding out hope that I won't this time ;).

DD was breech, and we were planning for c-section for that reason, but it is really the same issue, in a way. My OB wanted to do the CS at 39 weeks (he was concerned about the quality of the placenta if I went longer), but I went into labor at 37-3/7 so I has my CS then. I recall he said that if she had turned, he would have induced me on or by my due date if I did not deliver on my own.

ETA: I was not AMA with DD, but am AMA this time around.

When is your GD check, MamaSnoo? Mine is next Wed. Fingers crossed for both of us!

mommylamb
02-03-2012, 03:37 PM
MamaSnoo and Mctlaw- I am sending you lots of PTs that you do not have GD. Mctlaw, why were you tested so early the first time? You and I were tested around the same time in November.

But I will say, dealing with the GD got a lot easier for me as time went on. As much of a PITA as it is, it's not as terrible as I thought. I don't feel hungry and I eat very healthily. And I've gained so much less weight this time around than I did last time. Still just at 15 lbs total, vs 38 lbs when pregnant with DS. And, according to my ultrasound on Wednesday, 7 lbs 3 oz of that is baby. I'll be back to pre pregnancy weight within a couple weeks of giving birth, if not sooner.

But I really hope you do not have it.

mctlaw
02-03-2012, 03:43 PM
I am AMA (38) so I get tested twice since that is a risk factor. At least this time the morning sickness is over which made the 3 hour test and carb load so very unpleasant. Thanks for the thoughts!

mommylamb
02-03-2012, 07:05 PM
So I went in to see the OB today and it looks like my bishop score is pretty high actually. I'm 3 cm and about 30-40% effaced and he's low. So, I'm having them schedule the induction for a week from today, and maybe he'll be here before that!

SnuggleBuggles
02-03-2012, 07:21 PM
Sounds good. Find out how they plan to induce since some options are better than others. :)