PDA

View Full Version : Grandparent and Travel Car seat

BallerinaMommy
02-01-2012, 10:11 PM
We are about to have our second DS and need a convertible car seat for the grandparents to use in their cars to help transport DS1 around. I'd also like to use this as a travel seat as we have alot of airline travel coming up this year. He currently rides in a Britax Blvd in both of our cars. I'm not too concerned about price. I'd just like him to be in something safe, with an easy install, but that is also easy to travel by plane with. Thank you!

catsnkid
02-02-2012, 10:47 AM
How old is DS and how much does he weigh? Is he FF yet? I really liked our graco comfort sport as a travel seat for our recent airline trip but it is outgrown quickly! If still RF I would say the graco myride 65 and other posters have recommenended evenflo seats, or you could get a smaller britax. The scenera is a PIA for install but very cheap and light. We have one in grandma's car, where it gets monthy use at the most.

BallerinaMommy
02-02-2012, 08:28 PM
DS is 17 months old and weighs 23 lbs....he's petite, but tall. I thought about a Roundabout, but wondered if it would be too heavy to travel with. I'll check out the graco comfort sport...thank you!

Multimama
02-02-2012, 09:07 PM
Are you looking for a forward-facing or a rear-facing carseat? The Comfortsport won't be worth it for a 17 month old, IMO. It has very low top slots and is outgrown quickly both FF and RF.

Knowing whether you want to rear-face or not will help us make appropriate recommendations. :) If you are interested in the Cosco Scenera, the installation is made much easier if you buy a pool noodle, cut it into three pieces and duct tape it together into a pyramid to put under the foot of the seat near the seat bight.

BallerinaMommy
02-02-2012, 09:33 PM
Oh sorry, I missed that part! I'm looking for RF in the car, at least for now, but probably FF while on the plane...once he turns two, I imagine we'll flip him around, but we'll see.

catsnkid
02-03-2012, 12:00 PM
Sounds like a Britax Roundabout 50 would be good for you though it a little heavy for travel compared to other seats, and you can find it online in the low 100 dollar range. Yes, DS has almost outgrown our comfort sport and he is a pretty small 2 1/2 year old. I don't neccesarily regret the purchase because it probably will be used as a transitional convertible seat for a second DC for a period of time, but in retrospect might have purchased another seat. After our trip we replaced the comfort sport with a RA50 because I got such a good deal on it and loved my other one... Yes I have one kid and own 5 seats...