PDA

View Full Version : Asthma for Dummies?

doberbrat
02-01-2012, 11:14 PM
I'm fairly sure dd2 has asthma (or whatever they call it when they're toddlers).

She had RSV 2x has been admitted for it. She wheezes EVERY time she gets a cold. Nearly everyone in my family has asthma to some extent. (mine is cold/exercise induced).

But, I can never figure out when to use the inhaler/neb. I KNOW I'm waiting too long and not using it often enough. but I dont wan tto over use it either kwim? Pedi glosses over the details of when to use every time.

So, anyone have a book, web site etc that they want to offer for my education?

Thanks!

jren
02-01-2012, 11:23 PM
I have a book - I'll have to look it up and post back. If she's wheezing every time she gets a cold, then I'd start the neb treatments at the first sign of a cold and continue until she's been well for 3 days, then wean off.

DS has asthma - illness induced, but he's been much better this year. Myabe b/c it's been in the 70s all winter. But, he's even had a few colds without needing the meds. We start treatments at the first cough, and continue 3 days past no cold and no cough.

ett
02-01-2012, 11:45 PM
I would suggest seeing an allergist since it seems like your ped is not managing the asthma well. You should have an asthma plan so you know when you need to start using the nebulizer and how often and not having to guess at it.

What medication are you using with the neb? Are you using both steriods and albuterol?

doberbrat
02-02-2012, 12:48 AM
I would suggest seeing an allergist since it seems like your ped is not managing the asthma well. You should have an asthma plan so you know when you need to start using the nebulizer and how often and not having to guess at it.

What medication are you using with the neb? Are you using both steriods and albuterol?

I've been thinking that - but do I see an allergist if she has no allergies? We're just using albuterol. I've asked about preventative meds for the winter and was told it isnt helpful. Basically, I keep getting told that at this age, its not 'asthma' its just random wheezing and we treat the symptoms.

But all the recent posts about lung damage made me remember that the last time I had a chest xray, the tech asked me if I was a smoker b/c there was alot of scarring on my lungs. I know my mom often said I had chronic bronchitis as a child so maybe it was really untreated asthma as well?

ett
02-02-2012, 01:30 AM
I've been thinking that - but do I see an allergist if she has no allergies? We're just using albuterol. I've asked about preventative meds for the winter and was told it isnt helpful. Basically, I keep getting told that at this age, its not 'asthma' its just random wheezing and we treat the symptoms.

But all the recent posts about lung damage made me remember that the last time I had a chest xray, the tech asked me if I was a smoker b/c there was alot of scarring on my lungs. I know my mom often said I had chronic bronchitis as a child so maybe it was really untreated asthma as well?

Yes, allergists will deal with asthma too. I'm no expert but I thought asthma could develop at any age. DS2 has asthma and when he has no symptoms, he is not on any steriods. But when he gets sick, I start him on the steriods and add the albuterol if he's coughing/wheezing. DS1 does not have asthma but will sometimes wheeze when he's sick. My ped also prescribes the same steriods/albuterol meds for him too. I think the steriods should help even when you only use it when you're sick.

Doctors are much more aggressive now in using preventive meds to prevent lung scarring.

Good luck! Dealing with asthma is hard!