PDA

View Full Version : Sunshine Kids booster next to Radians? Worth the money?

maestramommy
02-02-2012, 10:13 AM
We are looking at our next seat options. Currently Laurel is rfing in our MA. It's the older model with a rfing limit of 33 lbs, and she is 28+ lbs naked. We have 2 years left for the MA, but somehow I'd be surprised if she made it another 2 years staying under 33 lbs. In fact, she has been growing so fast I've been worried that she'd go over before the end of this year. So that leaves us either having to move Dora into a booster so Laurel can have her Radian, or getting another Radian.

A friend of mine has a Prius, and has 2 Radians and the booster (Monterey?) in the back. He said something about using a Mighty Tight. Is that some kind of belt tightener for the carseat or the booster? Their booster is in the center. Pretty sure at least one of the radians is rfing. So I'm wondering whether the Sundshine kids booster is worth the money, since it's a lot more expensive than a Turbobooster. However, I'd probably plunk down the money willingly if it was a lot easier to buckle in a 3 across than the Turbo.

Thoughts?

Joolsplus2
02-04-2012, 09:23 AM
Mighty tite is a seatbelt ratchet that's for the carseat. It's something folks like to buy, but it's not necessary, and actually not allowed by most seat manuals (maybe the radian manual allows it, they are made by the same company? no car manuals approve it, and it's illegal in at least one state, but there's no enforcement, so meh, as long as it's not overtightened, it won't really do any harm, except to your wallet :tongue5:)
The Monterey IS a considerably nicer seat than the Turbo, deeper seat, higher back, ability to LATCH, better sleep support, and if it's easier to buckle, that's key. I find the Safety 1st Boost Air to be relatively comparable to the Turbo quality (but taller, with a deeper seat), but the back between the seatbelt anchors is very very narrow, and the flip up armrests make it easy to buckle next to other seats. So it's one of my faves for a narrow booster, even though the headwings make it look rather bulky (mutant ET, really, but it does come in some cute covers to make up for it, lol).

maestramommy
02-05-2012, 05:00 PM
Safety 1st Boost Air, got it! Nice to have more than one option to look at, thanks!