PDA

View Full Version : Food Allergy legislation for Ohio?

Corie
02-02-2012, 10:26 AM
Where can I find the Food Allergy legislation for the state of Ohio?

I was told last year by my son's kindergarten teacher that I am allowed
to attend every class party and field trip because of DS's nut allergy.

I was told if the teacher is allowed to have 4 parents on the field
trip and/or class party that she can still have her 4 parents plus me. I don't count in the parent head-count because I can be there regardless.

I'm just wondering if this is a school district policy or if this is Ohio law.

Where can I find out?

Thanks for your help!!

MSWR0319
02-02-2012, 10:30 AM
I have no idea, but hope its a law! DS will start preschool next year and I'm hoping I will be allowed at all parties/field trips. I was hoping the teacher wouldn't think I'm pushy (not that I care all that much, DS's safety is more important) but if there's some type of law that would be even better! I'll be watching this thread.

Clarity
02-02-2012, 10:34 AM
According to the ODE, allergy policy is set by each individual school district. Perhaps contact your local school board and they will have the documented policy?
http://www.ode.state.oh.us/GD/Templates/Pages/ODE/ODEDetail.aspx?Page=3&TopicRelationID=828&Content=115643

ETA: Here's the Ohio Revised Code: http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/3313.719

ETA: I think I'm going to contact MY school board as well so that I can educate myself on our policy before dd2 (egg/nut allergy) begins kindy. Thanks for the ?!

Gena
02-02-2012, 10:37 AM
This might help:

Ohio Dept of Ed Food Allergy Policy Requirements and Guidance:
http://www.ode.state.oh.us/GD/Templates/Pages/ODE/ODEDetail.aspx?Page=3&TopicRelationID=828&Content=115643

Does your son have a 504 Plan? Does it include having you (or someone else) accompany him on field trips? That would probably be the best way to get this protection.

ETA: I posted at the same time as Clarity.

Corie
02-02-2012, 11:09 AM
I just called the school and spoke to the school nurse.

This policy is not a state law.

This policy is our school district policy. Sounds like I picked the right
school district for my son! :)

MSWR0319
02-02-2012, 11:19 AM

Awesome! If you happen to get a written policy, would you mind passing it along? Maybe it's something I could take to our school system and see if they'd be willing to put something like that into effect. I'm super paranoid about the whole school/nut allergy combination.

Corie
02-02-2012, 11:37 AM
Awesome! If you happen to get a written policy, would you mind passing it along? Maybe it's something I could take to our school system and see if they'd be willing to put something like that into effect. I'm super paranoid about the whole school/nut allergy combination.

PM me if you want and I can tell you the name of our town for reference.

newg
02-02-2012, 02:56 PM

Wow! Good to know :) DD2 is only 18 months.....I didn't read any of the policies yet........is it just for nuts, or all allergies?
DD2 has dairy/egg/nuts.......so unless she outgrows them (fingers crossed), looks like I will be at all of her parties!