PDA

View Full Version : Sticker shock

hellokitty
02-02-2012, 01:33 PM
Wow, so I had heard that martial arts was expensive, but now I know for sure. I signed up both of my older boys and let's just say that they won't be getting any other lessons. The amt we will be spending each yr on their martial arts is enough for us to go on a vacation with!

HIU8
02-02-2012, 02:19 PM
I know. We signed DS up for karate at a "special" rate of $119 month. This included 2 sessions a week. Belt tests are an extra $40 each time. After 9 months the into offer rate went to $134/month. HOWEVER, I'm currently paying $500/month for OT for DS 1x/week. So, putting it in perspective, karate is a better deal. To be honest, we pulled DS from 2x/week OT and replaced the one OT session with karate. But still.... It's a lot. Add in DD's gymnastics and I'm going to go broke soon.

KpbS
02-02-2012, 02:25 PM
Yes it is expensive and they nickel and dime you to death, IMO. Our new belts (promotions) were $60--for a strip of fabric! Plus our studio has a different weapon training every couple of months--those weapons run $40+. DS1 really enjoyed it but we are taking a break now for the cold and flu season (the germ factor grosses me out completely with the mats) and might just take lessons in the summer.

Jo..
02-02-2012, 02:38 PM
We WERE going through a school program at $100+ per month per child (only Adam was enrolled at the time). I think it was $115-119. The local martial arts place was charging more (IIRC it was in the $40 per week range)

The classes were HUGE (40 kids, a teacher, and 2 helpers). He learned nothing, and it was chaos.

We recently found a church-run program that is $20 per month per kid. (We don't belong to the church, I just saw a flyer at a hair cutting place). I frequently throw in another $10 or $20 donation, so $40-$60 per month for two kids. Lessons are once per week and there are six kids in the class. Uniforms were under $20, and belt testing with included belt (every few months) is $10. If they fail the belt test there is no fee.

They LOVE it. I figure it costs me under $700 yearly for BOTH kids (350 each).

A local salvation army also has karate classes for $20 per month per kid. SHOP AROUND.

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/299472_219568291439740_100001597127283_645226_1714 899867_n.jpg

maestramommy
02-02-2012, 02:46 PM
yeah, it's expensive. When Dora was doing TKD it was $79/month. We never got that far, but belt testing was another fee, then the belt was another fee!

I heard the police or fire dept in the city next door was doing judo classes for FREE. I *think* you had to pay for belt testing, but otherwise nothing. Would've been great except the class time didnt' work for us. IF the kids ever want to do any kind of martial arts I'm checking that out first.

BabyBearsMom
02-02-2012, 02:47 PM
Do you have local rec centers that offer classes? Our local rec does classes and they are much more affordable than the private class. My DD is doing a soft playroom class that was $77/month at Gymboree and we paid $75 for 2.5 months at the rec center. I don't know how much the martial arts classes are but I assume they are similarly low.

TwinFoxes
02-02-2012, 02:50 PM
Do you have local rec centers that offer classes? Our local rec does classes and they are much more affordable than the private class. My DD is doing a soft playroom class that was $77/month at Gymboree and we paid $75 for 2.5 months at the rec center. I don't know how much the martial arts classes are but I assume they are similarly low.

This was my first thought too. Or maybe even the Y?

ahisma
02-02-2012, 02:51 PM
Yikes! I'd definitely look around. We're in the Midwest, so lower COL, but in an urban area so not super low COL. We pay $45/month for 2 classes/week. Uniform was $40, gloves were $35. Belts are at cost (don't recall off the top of my head but it wasn't shocking).

The class is generally around 15 kids with a teacher and a helper. He has great control of the class and really "gets" the kids. There are definitely some energetic kids in the bunch but he does a fantastic job of keeping them all engaged and on task while still being incredibly caring. We LOVE it!

ETA: We found this studio through word of mouth. It's 3 blocks from our house but we had never heard of it (it's in a building that we don't happen to go into often.) They don't seem to advertise. I was looking online and everything was more $$ and 15-20 minutes away. DH posted on FB looking for recommendations and a friend told us about this studio. We then discovered that a lot of our neighbors go there as well, who knew? Definitely can't hurt to ask around!

artvandalay
02-02-2012, 02:59 PM
HK, does your parks dept offer it? We go through the parks dept, it is very reasonable for both my boys. The Gi's (sp?) are optional - but around $30 and most kids wear them. Also testing for the belt is optional, but $20 or $25 each session.

I didn't want to put them in an expensive program because I didn't know if they would like it. They seem to be enjoying themselves. We only do karate during cold months because once Spring gets here they are doing soccer/baseball and I'd rather have them outside.

kijip
02-02-2012, 02:59 PM
Shop around. My nephew does it and his parents could not afford to continue so they found a class at the Y with a great instructor. Much less but he is learning just as much.

niccig
02-02-2012, 03:03 PM
Ask around. I was at the park after school with some other families. One mother, whose son is older so I don't normally talk to her, mentioned an aikido class her son goes to that is inexpensive. I didn't ask how much, but if DS wants to do a marital arts, I'll get the information from her.

artvandalay
02-02-2012, 03:23 PM
Oh, and Jo, your kiddos are adorable!

peanut520
02-02-2012, 03:28 PM
the studio here that specialized in toddlers/younger kids (3+) is 109/mo for a 30 min class a week. the class is pretty small and eveyone rave about it. luckily i brought dd to a class since our neighbor goes and she has no interest in it.

hellokitty
02-02-2012, 06:04 PM
Yeah, the sad part is that yes, we live in a low COL area. However, no, we have NO park/rec system. I'm always so jealous to hear about those of you who have these awesome park/rec centers, we have no such thing. I have checked around and they are all about the same price, probably b/c they all know that they can get away with it, since there are so few studios in our area. I chose this one, b/c they have a really great reputation. I think this team has competed in the olympics before (one of the instructors carried the torch in the Atlanta Olympics), it is family run (3 brothers), and my friends who have their kids in it, love it. They focus on an anti-bullying program for kids, since one of the brothers was bullied during school and that is why he started martial arts to begin with. I think it is well worth it, the kids slept sooo well on Tuesday night when we went for a trial class. In the winter, they drive me crazy, b/c they have such bad cabin fever, esp if they do not get outdoor recess at school. I guess I just never realized that ppl would pay these kinds of prices. The thing is, DS3 will probably want to enroll too (they start at age 3), and I told DH that if he does want to, I will have to ask for an even bigger discount (right now the 2nd child is 25% off), b/c it is just really expensive. I guess I will be teaching them how to play piano on my own this summer!

Jo..
02-02-2012, 06:07 PM
Tell them you want # 3 free. If they are that expensive, I bet they go for it.

KpbS
02-02-2012, 06:20 PM
Tell them you want # 3 free. If they are that expensive, I bet they go for it.

Yeah, I wouldn't hesitate to try to bargain with them. Ours has a $200 joining fee and a 6 mo contract. DH told them
No joining fee and a 3 mo contract--they said ok.