PDA

View Full Version : When they don't want to go to school...

deborah_r
02-02-2012, 07:18 PM
DS1 is always happy and ready to go off to school. He can be a little difficult to get out of the house to get to school, usually because he has started messing around on the computer or something and doesn't want to stop, but by the time we get there, he jumps out of the car and runs in, and always seems happy about it.

This morning from the time I woke him up, he was crying saying he didn't want to go to school. When asked why, all he would say was "I don't want to." He did not appear to be ill, and said he did not feel sick. He was perfectly happy when I picked him up yesterday, so I don't think there was any issue at school.

So I made him go, but part of me wondered if I should have let him stay home, and try to figure out what his problem was. I asked him over and over, and the best he eventualy came up with was "school is boring", which he hasn't said this year at all. I have a vague memory of a "school is boring" phase with him, can't remember when it was.

I contacted his teacher, she said they have been doing testing all week, and she would understand if he was bored with it. But of course I have been worrying all day, is someone bullying him , did he have a fight with a friend, did a teacher yell at him? (Backstory: I dropped out of preschool when I perceived that a teacher had yelled at me. Flat out refused to go back. My adult brain is now pretty sure that the teacher just asked me to stop doing something.). I have no actual reason to believe a teacher would yell at him.

He's doing really well at school. He is getting an honors award in 2 weeks that only a handful of kids in each grade get. I think he is bored with math (his favorite subject) because what they are learning is so easy for him. That's all I've got.

But I still feel so bad about making him go, and worried there is something he is not telling me. But there was this voice in my head saying that if I give in to the "I don't wannas" even once, I am opening the floodgates for many more days of this.

Advice/commiseration welcome!

kellij
02-02-2012, 07:33 PM
My kids say this regularly (1st and k). I think it's like HAVING to have a drink at bedtime and forgetting to go to the potty. I think most do it. At the end of the day, they've usually had lots of fun. I think they are just tired in the morning. I mean, I feel that way too, so it makes sense to me. I think you may be over-thinking it. It's great that you double-checked with the teacher, but since she doesn't think there is a problem and it's the only day he's said that, I'd let it go.

He may say it again just because he's picked up on how much it concerned you.

minnie-zb
02-02-2012, 07:47 PM
My youngest does this sometimes (1st grade). I always find it perplexing as I know she loves school. But sometimes she just wants to be at home and play. And sometimes it is because she's tired.

elliput
02-02-2012, 07:56 PM
Commiseration here. Last week, DD missed the whole week due to being sick. She tried to convince me Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday this week that she was too sick to go, but I managed to get her on the bus each morning without too much fuss. This morning, however, was a doozy. She was adamant that she could not go to school because she has a "loosey tooth". :rolleye0014: She was yelling and screaming. I was able to distract for a little bit to get her out of the house, but she put up a fight getting on the bus. When it pulled away she was again yelling and screaming. I think she spent a good portion of the day with her Spec Ed teacher in the resource room working on puzzles. It will be interesting to see what her attitude is tomorrow morning.

DrSally
02-02-2012, 10:37 PM
How was he when he got home? Sometimes they just don't feel like going, and "boring" may just be a generic answer for that. just like sometimes we don't feel like going to work. It may be someting along those lines.

deborah_r
02-03-2012, 05:17 PM
He was fine when I picked him up. He had quite a bit of homework (frustrated with that - if the teacher is admitting the testing is too much, why load them down with homework too? There were some tears with the homework, which had some "logic" kind of questions in it which he just didn't have the energy for) He was OK this morning. Who knows what it was all about? We'll see how next week goes.