PDA

View Full Version : s/o: so what are your options for buying alcohol?

AnnieW625
02-02-2012, 07:26 PM
The Costco post got me thinking about this.

I am in California so we can buy alcohol 24/7, 365 days a year as long as there is a store open.

We have been on vacation in Virginia, Pennsylvania, Oregon, Washington, Nevada, and Massachussets and I believe that Nevada was the only other state that didn't have any alcohol rules (don't really recall MA as DD1 was 2/1/2 then and we were wiped out that we didn't drink on that trip). DH wants to move to Texas, but he still has an issue without being able to buy alcohol on Sundays (:shake: buy it on Saturday!)

regular store also equals liquor store if that is an option in your state.

fivi2
02-02-2012, 07:32 PM
Where I live in TX, I am reasonably sure I can buy after noon on Sundays. Cant buy past 2am any day (I think) . There are dry counties, though. In new.Orleans it was 24/7.

sariana
02-02-2012, 07:36 PM
I'm in CA too, so I voted 365 24/7, but we no longer can use the self-check lanes. Last week I heard a Costco employee direct a customer to the regular line because a new law prohibits the sale of alcohol in the self-check lane. (Most Costcos don't have self-check lanes; I'm SOOO glad ours does.)

We don't buy alcohol. DH's company used to give us 12 bottles of wine a year. Then they changed to 2 bottles a year. Now it's none. But we still have several bottles from the earlier years. We gave away most of it.

Mamabear4
02-02-2012, 07:37 PM
I voted that we can't buy alcohol on Sundays, but in addition to that we can only buy beer and wine at a normal store (grocery, drug store gas station, etc). Liquor has to be purchased at an ABC store. Neither can be bought on Sundays.

fivi2
02-02-2012, 07:41 PM
Oh yeah, only beer and wine at grocery or gas station. Liquor at a package store only. Forgot that.

eta: according to wikipedia, I must have the term "package" store from my Georgia childhood. I guess it isn't used everywhere. I mean a liquor store, but ours I believe also sell beer. I am not familiar with the term abc store. But I only drink beer these days...

So, in reference to your Texas concern - it depends on where you are in Texas. In my county, I can buy beer and wine on Sunday after noon. I truly have no clue about liquor. Some counties are totally dry. But I think they may do that "private club" thing to get around it... Bars close at 2am and I know you can't buy alcohol after that, but I don't know for sure when stores stop selling.

kellij
02-02-2012, 07:42 PM
I'm in OK. No alcohol on Sundays, and it closes at like 9 or 10 the other nights. Plus, it's not a state run store, but you have to go to a liquor store to buy anything stronger than 3 point beer. Also, there is some ridiculous law about not bringing refrigerated alcohol into the state, and certain beers are only transported that way, so they can't sell them here at all.

Staraglimmer
02-02-2012, 07:43 PM
I'm in New Orleans, so we can buy it 24/7 365. Walmart and every other grocery store sells it so you just have to find a 24 hour walmart or grocery.

-Stephanie
Mommy to Hailey Michelle 4/08
& a new addition due 7/1/12

elliput
02-02-2012, 07:48 PM
To be honest, I really don't know other than we can get beer in the grocery/convenience store (probably 3.2 beer at that) and have to go to a liquor store for wine and hard liquor. I think we can purchase on Sundays. Can you tell I don't by alcohol a lot? :rotflmao:

misshollygolightly
02-02-2012, 07:50 PM
I voted that we can't buy alcohol on Sundays. However, we ALSO cannot buy alcohol on election days...which I discovered when I went to pick up some for a work-related event.

Jo..
02-02-2012, 07:57 PM
I'm in OK. No alcohol on Sundays, and it closes at like 9 or 10 the other nights. Plus, it's not a state run store, but you have to go to a liquor store to buy anything stronger than 3 point beer. Also, there is some ridiculous law about not bringing refrigerated alcohol into the state, and certain beers are only transported that way, so they can't sell them here at all.

Wine is only in liquor stores in OK. When I was in WV you could buy wine at the grocery store.

I remember when I first moved here and DS was 4 months old, I wanted a bottle of wine for dinner. I strapped DS into my Ergo carrier on my chest and went into the liquor store. THEY KICKED ME OUT. Said no one under 21, no exceptions.

DH had to buy the wine for years, because I could not. It pissed me off.

Groceries here sell beer (low proof) that you can get 24/7. Otherwise the liquor stores control the alcohol, and they are open 6 days per week from 10am-??? (6 or 8 pm, no idea).

lhafer
02-02-2012, 08:00 PM
In most areas of Tx you can buy alcohol after noon on Sundays. Not 11:59am, but straight up 12:00pm. And then it's only beer or wine. Liquor stores are not open on Sundays.

KLD313
02-02-2012, 08:04 PM
We can buy liquor at the liquor store Monday through Saturday until 8pm, maybe 9? We can only buy beer in the supermarket, not wine. We can't buy any alcohol on Sunday. If we want alcohol on Sunday we can go to the next state over.

I heard our governor is re- examining the blue laws so maybe this will change.

Gena
02-02-2012, 08:22 PM
We're in Ohio. Liquor over 21%ABV has to bought at a state controlled store. Beer, wine, and spirits less than 21%ABV can be purchased at regular stores. We even have drive-thru convenience stores where you can buy beer and wine without getting out of your car.

There at restricted hours on Sunday, I think you have to wait until after noon.

anonomom
02-02-2012, 08:34 PM
In NC, we can buy beer and wine at regular stores after noon on Sundays and I think regular store hours the other days. Hard liquor is only at the state-run ABC stores.

Jacksmommy2b
02-02-2012, 08:38 PM
Didn't read the other responses:

Here in PA you can buy beer at a distributor and liquor at the liquor store, no gas stations, no groceries.

We just recently gained the ability to buy on Sundays.

amldaley
02-02-2012, 08:39 PM
My only option for buying alcohol is to either pay my friends "Aunt" who runs up to the store for us or I sometimes get this lady I work with who is really inappropriate with some of us to go buy it. Well, sometimes I stand outside in the parking lot and pay cute college guys to buy for me, too but that can be a hassle when the cops and/or store manager see us.

Wait...that was 15-20 years ago...sorry, I regressed there for a moment. :54:

kijip
02-02-2012, 08:53 PM
WA State is about to undergo a major change. Presently only wine and beer are available in regular stores. We have been state run liquor stores, open I THINK 7 days a week until like 9PM or so. Starting this year, those stores will close and we will start being able to buy hard liquor at retail stores with 10,000 or more square feet. Costco bought the initiative that approved this. I am actually concerned about this because I don't think those large stores will have the incentive to stock the small batch distilleries and wide variety available at the state stores. Costco and large stores need large quantities at low prices to take something on. I hope they solve this issue somehow by allowing boutique shops to open up.

EllasMum
02-02-2012, 08:58 PM
I answered 'we are in Canada and buy alcohol even though it is expensive'... though I don't really find it expensive! :shrug:

Maybe it's more expensive because our beer is stronger. :D

ETA: I live in Alberta (Western Canada) and we can buy alcohol 7 days a week. I think most liquor stores close about midnight, though 'off-sales' places tend to stay open until 2 or even 3am. I honestly am not sure what the laws are with regards to liquor sales!

crl
02-02-2012, 08:58 PM
CA all alcohol all the time baby. But when I was growing up in MO only the .2, or whatever it is, beer on Sundays. And when we lived in VA no hard stuff except at the state run liquor stores.

Catherine

Momit
02-02-2012, 09:37 PM
When we lived in CA we found it very convenient. A few other states we've lived in were the same way. Where we live now, where I grew up and where I went to college all had different versions of Blue Laws and other restrictions: no alcohol at all on Sundays, no hard liquor on Sundays but beer and wine ok, no alcohol at all before X time on Sunday, hard liquor at ABC stores only, etc. It's quite confusing!

Pyrodjm
02-02-2012, 09:44 PM
We can by alcohol whenever, wherever. My local 24hr Walgreens sells wine. Every corner shore in my area has some kind of beer and liquor stores keep late hours. Yay for NYC!

MontrealMum
02-02-2012, 09:46 PM
I'm also in Canada and still buy alcohol. I don't find it expensive either ;)

Here in QC we can buy 7 days a week. Beer and wine can be bought at grocery stores or depanneurs (convenience stores). Hard liquor must be bought at the SAQ which is the government run liquor store in this province. They also sell finer wines and some beers, but really beer is sold in grocery stores here. Bars serve later here than some places (past midnight), and AFAIK you can order liquor in restaurants on Sundays. I'm not too clear on all the laws.

I figure compared to ON we have it pretty good. They can't buy ANYTHING at the grocery store. They have to go to the LCBO (gov't store for liquor and wine) and to buy beer they go to the Beer Store! And their last call is ridiculously early! Not that I'm going out like that anymore, but it certainly struck me as crazy back in my 20's.

Mermanaid
02-02-2012, 09:51 PM
I'm in TX and you can buy wine and beer Sun - Sat until 2a I believe. It's hard liquor that you cannot buy on Sundays.

Giantbear
02-02-2012, 10:29 PM
Dry house, no alcohol allowed out of necessity

MommyofAmaya
02-02-2012, 10:36 PM
WA State is about to undergo a major change. Presently only wine and beer are available in regular stores. We have been state run liquor stores, open I THINK 7 days a week until like 9PM or so. Starting this year, those stores will close and we will start being able to buy hard liquor at retail stores with 10,000 or more square feet. Costco bought the initiative that approved this. I am actually concerned about this because I don't think those large stores will have the incentive to stock the small batch distilleries and wide variety available at the state stores. Costco and large stores need large quantities at low prices to take something on. I hope they solve this issue somehow by allowing boutique shops to open up.

Our Costco actually makes an attempt to stock many varieties of local Texas spirits. I've taken the chance with some lesser known brands since the price is so much better than our big box liquor store, Specs. Some have panned out, ie. Deep Eddy Sweet Tea vodka from Austin, others not so much, ie. Treaty Oak rum, also from Austin. There is definitely a limited selection though.

Jacksmommy2b
02-02-2012, 11:14 PM
We can by alcohol whenever, wherever. My local 24hr Walgreens sells wine. Every corner shore in my area has some kind of beer and liquor stores keep late hours. Yay for NYC!

This blows my mind!
I swear PA is still hesitant to completely let go of prohibition. :)

lmh2402
02-02-2012, 11:18 PM
time for dumb question of the night...what is an ABC store? i've never heard of this

re: laws here...i have no idea - we really don't buy alcohol all that often and when we do, we go to a nearby liquor store. beer might be available at the grocery store, but i'm honestly not sure.

JoyNChrist
02-02-2012, 11:28 PM
We can't buy any alcohol on Sundays (which I find stupid).

But we also have drive-through liquor stores and daiquiri shacks, so...you win some, you lose some, I guess. ;)

There's beer, wine, and hard liquor pretty much everywhere - convenience stores, grocery stores, wal-mart, target, liquor stores, even walgreens.

My in-laws own a convenience store in one of the state's only dry parishes. I don't understand that...the city/parish is missing out on a lot of tax money.

mom3boys
02-02-2012, 11:34 PM
I voted "anywhere, anytime" as long as a store is open. That is true but it has to be a liquor store. You can't buy beer or wine at the grocery store, you have to go to a liquor store for it (NJ). Thus, my TJ's has no wine! Also because of this some of the local bars will sell six packs you can take out with you, because the liquor stores don't tend to keep late hours.

When I lived in MA it was basically the same, the liquor stores were called "package stores" or "packies" for short. Also, there was no liquor sold on Sunday, but that has since changed. Oddly, the TJ's in MA sold wine, but on Sunday if you went in it was literally chained off!

When I lived in NH you had to go to the state-controlled store for liquor. Beer and wine at the grocery store or convenience store.

I had never even heard of a "dry county" until my friend went to Arkansas on business.

DH is in the wine&spirits industry and often has events in various states and all the varying liquor laws drive him crazy!

TwinFoxes
02-02-2012, 11:39 PM
I thought liquor sales stop from 2am-6am in California? But I only know that from college days,so it could have changed.

I actually don't know the laws in VA, just hard liquor from ABC stores (Alcoholoci Beverage Commission for PP). I thought we couldn't buy liquor on Sunday, but recently I saw an ABC with short Sunday hours. Beer and wine are available at groceries stores, 7-11s, etc.

Meatball Mommie
02-03-2012, 12:19 AM
I voted "anywhere, anytime" as long as a store is open. That is true but it has to be a liquor store. You can't buy beer or wine at the grocery store.

When I lived in MA it was basically the same, the liquor stores were called "package stores" or "packies" for short. Also, there was no liquor sold on Sunday, but that has since changed. Oddly, the TJ's in MA sold wine...

I'm in MA... Beer/wine/liquor at the packie only. Sundays are fine too....usually the packies open around noon, but I don't think there's a law or rule. I don't know when/where pp saw wine at TJ's but I've never seen it.

I loved when we lived in GA and could buy wine at the grocery store. At least we can buy on Sundays here in MA though...not in GA.

maybeebaby08
02-03-2012, 12:35 AM
I'm in MA... Beer/wine/liquor at the packie only. Sundays are fine too....usually the packies open around noon, but I don't think there's a law or rule. I don't know when/where pp saw wine at TJ's but I've never seen it. GA.

I think only 2 TJ's in MA were given licenses, Cambridge and Framingham both sell wine.

You can't buy alcohol before noon on Sundays in MA and certain holidays, and it's only at liquor stores and a few random grocery stores. I live in a small town and little grocery store sells beer & wine.

I grew up in PA, the heart of Amish country and the laws were very strict, you could only buy in Liquor Stores, and they were closed Sundays.

hopeful_mama
02-03-2012, 01:21 AM
I voted "anywhere, anytime" as long as a store is open. That is true but it has to be a liquor store. You can't buy beer or wine at the grocery store, you have to go to a liquor store for it (NJ). Thus, my TJ's has no wine!

This is no longer true in NJ, both the TJs and Wegman's near me sell alcohol now. They are limiting how many stores can be licensed for this, I believe based on population (much like how there's a limit to the number of liqour licenses available for bars & restaurants - no idea if other states limit this). I know at Wegman's you can't purchase it after a certain time (10pm?). And a couple Costco's have been able to sell alcohol for at least a decade.

I do think even bars that can sell packaged goods have a time limit, 2am maybe?

kijip
02-03-2012, 01:24 AM
The no Sunday thing is strange and does not only apply to liquor in some places. When I was a baby where we lived in Texas, in addition to alcohol you could not buy things made of rubber on Sundays. I guess they did not want condoms sold on Sundays but decided to keep the law general instead of specific. How did my parents even find this out? I used to gnaw through the cheap bottle nipples like a crazy child and they ran out on a Sunday so my dad went to buy more and they would not sell them since it was rubber containing product. He did not believe them at first. They would not relent even though my dad explained that he needed them for his baby daughter that day. My dad laid his money on the counter and said, "If you can't sell them, I am going to have to steal them. Here's the money to cover them, keep the change." He walked out and they called out to stop him but I guess they decided physically restraining a man would be taking the things too far.

kijip
02-03-2012, 01:30 AM
But we also have drive-through liquor stores and daiquiri shacks, so...you win some, you lose some, I guess. ;)

I heard about this from you on the boards years ago and it has stuck with me. I find it hilarious. Drive through daiquiri and margaritas. Only in Louisiana. Here that would violate the no open container laws.

StantonHyde
02-03-2012, 03:17 PM
ummm, I live in Utah. Nuff said.

Only 3.2% alcohol beer is sold in grocery stores. You have to buy local beer because they actually brew it for that %, the big chain beers (Coors, Michelob) just water theirs down--yuck. All liquor, wine, regular beer is sold in the liquor store or a few wine stores. The liquor stores are open 11-7. If you miss that cut off, you can go (in Salt Lake) down to the main liquor store that is right near the homeless shelter to buy alcohol. Talk about a zoo!!! I just won't go down there. The wine stores (we have 2 in the Salt Lake Valley) are awesome--amazing selection and knowledgable staff. YOu can buy local beer at the brewery, but ONLY in bottles--no kegs, jugs, etc.

The markup on wine isn't bad--on beer it is practically double. People bootleg from Nevada, Idaho and Wyoming all the time. Even worse--try ordering alcohol in a restaurant. That might have a tavern license or a bar license or a restaurant license. And forget taking your kids into something that looks like a restaurant but is considered a bar because of its license. Meanwhile, the legislature is trying to cut down on the number of liquor stores and hiding behind #s that says it costs $200,000 a year to run a store that generates 2 MILLION in sales--umm, profit much??? And they won't give out more licenses for restaurants etc. Because, God forbid, people would be allowed to drink here. It is truly one of my major pet peeves about this state. But then I remember places that have dry counties and I relax!

DietCokeLover
02-03-2012, 03:29 PM
I honestly have no idea - I've never bought alcohol in my life.

However, I do know that in my current state there are dry counties where it can not be purchased at all.

JoyNChrist
02-03-2012, 04:26 PM
I heard about this from you on the boards years ago and it has stuck with me. I find it hilarious. Drive through daiquiri and margaritas. Only in Louisiana. Here that would violate the no open container laws.

As long as the paper wrapper on the end of the straw that sticks out of the cup is still on, it's not an open container and you can't be ticketed. Yes, really...you can't make this stuff up. I live in the craziest state in the Union.

TwinFoxes
02-03-2012, 08:08 PM
I live in the craziest state in the Union.

And we native Californians thank you for all you do. ;) (Although Florida gives us both a run for our money).

army_mom
02-03-2012, 09:13 PM
I voted that we can't buy alcohol on Sundays, but in addition to that we can only buy beer and wine at a normal store (grocery, drug store gas station, etc). Liquor has to be purchased at an ABC store. Neither can be bought on Sundays.

:yeahthat:

In addition to that, we live in a "dry" county. No draft beer is sold in our county :(

On military bases beer/alcohol is normally sold 24/7 regardless of the local laws. In our alcohol store on base, they have a tap and empty milk jugs to fill up your own "draft" beer :rotflmao:

army_mom
02-03-2012, 09:26 PM
But we also have drive-through liquor stores and daiquiri shacks, so...you win some, you lose some, I guess.

we had the drive through daiquiri shacks in Texas too! It boggled my mind that isn't an "open" container since Texas has very strict DUI laws. But, then again, Taco Cabana sold margaritas in the drive through as well! :tongue5:

R2sweetboys
02-03-2012, 11:24 PM
I'm in Maine-we can buy liquor M-Sat 6AM-1AM and Sundays, 9AM-1AM. Beer and wine can be sold anywhere with a liquor license-convenience store, grocery, big box,etc. Hard liquor can only be sold at "ABC" approved stores which are licensed by the state. There are independent liquor stores, but more and more grocery and convenience stores have been granted a hard liquor license in recent years, making them almost obsolete.