PDA

View Full Version : Which Kindle for DS?

newmomto1
02-02-2012, 07:52 PM
We are thinking about getting DS a Kindle for his 8th birthday.
I have the app on my phone, but other than that am not familiar with the devices.
I think we have ruled out the Fire bc we would like him to be able to take it to bed at night to read and we don't want to have to worry about him playing games instead ;) Besides, he already has an itouch....so prob doesn't really need the Fire.
I guess I am torn between the basic ans the touch. I like that the touch has the voice option.
Also, what's the deal with the keyboard one? I can't figure out what the key board is for or why it's so much more expensive that the touch?

artvandalay
02-02-2012, 07:55 PM
After much consideration and thought, I went with the basic 79 one and couldn't be happier.

I did a long post/thread about the basic vs the touch kindle, if you want to read it.

I personally didn't want the keyboard because it just adds bulk. I don't type on my Kindle (I do all my searching on my computer for titles).

If you needed to take extensive notes or something, I could see how the Touch or the Keyboard would come in handy.

I don't take notes or search for titles on it, though. Very happy with my decision.

essnce629
02-02-2012, 08:19 PM
I have the keyboard 3G one (got it on sale at Best Buy for $89 in November) and love it, but I'd get the basic $79 one for DS. DS1 and I share mine, but I'm thinking about getting him the basic one for his birthday since there's already been several times that we both wanted to use it at the same time (like at swim lessons when DS2 is swimming or when waiting at appointments).

I like the keyboard because it makes it easier to type in titles when searching for books and since I don't have a smartphone I've actually used my kindle to get online at the store to look up something and I've gotten on the boards and posted as well. If I hadn't gotten such a great deal though I probably would have went with the just the basic version.

We'll get DS1 the regular $79 kindle since he won't ever need to use the keyboard. Oh, and the regular kindles do have games on them-- DS1 plays them all the time (but isn't allowed to at night when he's doing his reading for school).

I didn't want the touch since the reviews weren't as good and it seemed like there were several glitches that still needed to be worked out since it's only the 1st generation-- like the screen being too sensitive, or not sensitive enough, the power button being in a weird position and making it too easy to turn off on accident, etc. Also, with the non-touch kindle you can hold it in one hand and turn the page with the same hand, while with the touch you cannot (you have to use your other hand to touch the screen). One of the pluses of having a kindle is supposed to be that you can read completely one handed which you can't do with a regular book.

Oh, and the basic kindle and the kindle keyboard have the voice option as well, but I don't see myself ever using it.

egoldber
02-02-2012, 09:20 PM
Older DD and I both have the basic $79 Kindle and we like it just fine. :)

squimp
02-02-2012, 09:27 PM
DD8 has a Kindle Touch and it's good. But we do have some trouble with the touch screen - it is nowhere near as responsive and consistent as Apple's touch screen. It is frustrating at times for me! I would probably get the simplest keyboard version if I were doing it again.

It is still super cool. DD couldn't put it down the other night and was so happy to figure out the text to voice function so she could listen to it in the bathtub. :)

ncat
02-02-2012, 09:34 PM
I have the touch and DD (7) really likes it. I will probably get her the basic one within the year, or upgrade mine and give her the touch.

The voice feature is much nicer than I expected, but we don't really use it.