PDA

View Full Version : Tips & Tricks for staying motivated with organizing & purging

legaleagle
02-03-2012, 01:30 PM
I have what DH calls a 90% issue with a lot of household tasks - I have a really hard time getting the last little bit done. Since he is an engineer, this drives him bonkers! Usually what happens is I have enough time & mental/physical energy to get the majority done in a big burst, but don't have quite enough oomph to get the last bit finished, esp since most of it really needs to be done without DC around. Anyone have any good tips for getting over the hump? I've done the "timer for 15 minutes" and listening to a podcast (This American Life works great for this since it's an hour), both of which help, but I need some more ideas.

LMPC
02-03-2012, 02:54 PM
I have tried to focus on one room per month. That way when I have that burst of energy it gets focused (rather than it becomes diffuse). It has helped a little ;)

npace19147
02-03-2012, 02:56 PM
Maybe try breaking it down into smaller discrete projects that can be finished in that burst of energy? so you don't do 100% all at once, but you do 25% all at once and that 25% is something that can be done start to finish.

I know I run out of puff when everything is out and a disaster that still needs to be put away! So instead of cleaning the whole kitchen, do one drawer start to finish. Make sense?

mypa
02-03-2012, 07:54 PM
I really like checking things off so I'll write a detailed list, tape it to the wall (so that I can't avoid it or lost it), and it will be a constant visual reminder that I have tasks to finish. When I get something done from the list I cross it off and that feels good to me and it feels even better when the whole list is done and I can crumble it up and throw it in the trash!

legaleagle
02-06-2012, 11:35 AM
Thanks all, I esp like the written list idea. I definitely break off too big chunks sometimes, which is part of the problem. Of course, half the time I don't realize they'll take way longer than I thought!

I just emptied a ton of dresser drawers, which should definitely help and made a couple trips to the container store, so things are slowly getting into shape!

sarahsthreads
02-06-2012, 12:51 PM
I really like checking things off so I'll write a detailed list, tape it to the wall (so that I can't avoid it or lost it), and it will be a constant visual reminder that I have tasks to finish. When I get something done from the list I cross it off and that feels good to me and it feels even better when the whole list is done and I can crumble it up and throw it in the trash!

This is what I do. I make checklists that break down the project into itty bitty little tasks so I can check things off often. Basically, this way I can get a task done start to finish even if I only have 15 minutes to work on the project. I also find checking off things I've done very, very motivating...and I've even added things I've already done to the list so I can check them off. :bag

OP, my problem is less finishing things than starting them. I get really overwhelmed when the project is big - like my current issue: the kitchen. I've been really sick for all of 2012 so far, and as much as I love DH, cleaning is NOT his strength. I'm finally feeling better enough that I have enough energy to do more than sit like a lump on the couch, but there's clutter and chaos all over the kitchen (including in my once decently-organized cabinets) and I don't even know where to begin. Enter the list. I started this morning with decluttering one section of the counter, thoroughly scrubbing the sink, and plan to put away the groceries (from last Friday) and have a go at the spices/baking area of the cabinets after lunch. There's more after that depending on my level of energy and how much time I have, but it can all also wait until tomorrow without leaving the room in chaos - well, more chaos than it already was in. It sounds so ridiculous that I have to write out the tasks this way, but I can focus on what I'm doing and not give up in frustration at the state of the rest of the room, kwim?

Sarah :)