PDA

View Full Version : Did you see signs of BF-readiness? Anything to help before birth?

Kaylee31
02-03-2012, 02:48 PM
Did you leak or anything before giving birth, or did you only start producing colostrom & milk after labor? My ob office hasn't really been able to answer my questions or concerns about being able to BF. Despite pumping & trying to BF with DS, along with the help of lactation consultants, I never produced anything. Well, except for 1-2 oz. of colostrum at 9 days postpartum, but that was it. I'm really hoping that BF will happen this time around. Should I start taking fenugreek or something like that? Any other tips for helping things along?

brittone2
02-03-2012, 02:56 PM
I never leaked in pregnancy. My cup size never changed substantially until after the baby was born. I actually tended toward overactive letdown and oversupply after the baby was born.

Have you checked out Kellymom.com?

Some women with PCOS have more trouble initiating BFing and I have heard of LCs using goat's rue or recommending metformin (some feel both can help get hormones lined up to BF). I have PCOS (and take metformin anyway) and was worried about the potential for supply issues. I called a LC and attend a LLL meeting before having my oldest, but it was a moot point as I didn't end up having supply issues. LC had me pump after all feedings because I was concerned about supply, but that just made my oversupply even worse LOL. After a few weeks it was obvious DS1 was gaining like a champ. I stopped pumping and he never took a bottle anyway. I didn't worry about supply with DD or DS2.

Other ideas: oatmeal, frequent BFing, consider (safe) cosleeping with baby for naps or nighttime to encourage more BFing, mother's milk tea once the baby arrives. Maybe get in touch with your local LLL before the baby arrives and have some phone numbers on hand? Do you feel like you had a good LC last time? I wonder if the LLL people could direct you to someone they feel is very knowledgeable?

I have had a few friends who feel they had supply issues with their oldest but who didn't have it with subsequent children.

Best of luck.

MSWR0319
02-03-2012, 03:07 PM
I had no signs before giving birth. In fact, the first few days in the hospital, I wasn't even sure he was getting anything. The only way I knew was because he needed his diaper changed!

BabyBearsMom
02-03-2012, 03:09 PM
I think you are not supposed to take mother's milk or fenugreek while preggo. Maybe you should contact a local LLL or Lactation Consultant now to see if there is anything you can do in advance?

brittone2
02-03-2012, 03:36 PM
I think you are not supposed to take mother's milk or fenugreek while preggo. Maybe you should contact a local LLL or Lactation Consultant now to see if there is anything you can do in advance?
Right. I don't think they are recommended in pregnancy. I think frequent nursing, working on a good latch (making sure baby isn't tongue tied, etc. too), and counting wet/dirty diapers vs. what you think baby is getting in ounces are all helpful things. Don't focus too much on pump output if you do pump. Some women just don't respond well to pumps (I was never a great pumper even though I had OAL and oversupply issues). If I had a history of low supply I'd err on the side of avoiding artificial nipples if possible as well.

SnuggleBuggles
02-03-2012, 04:11 PM
I never leaked, chest size didn't increase, nothing before birth. No problems nursing either. I too would contact a nursing group before the birth. GL!

smiles33
02-03-2012, 04:25 PM
I was super worried before DD1's birth because my mother told me she had a low supply and I thought it might be genetic. I never leaked or had any other symptoms before birth. Even after DD1 was born, I couldn't feel letdown and would weigh-feed-weigh to make sure she was getting something. I also didn't buy pacifiers or allow them until she ended up in the Special Care Nursery at 3 weeks old (the nurses insisted it would help reduce pain after all the needles). All that is to say is that in the beginning, I was freaked out and then DD1 quickly shot up in to the 90th percentile for weight (she was a HUGE chubby baby) and I knew she was getting enough milk.

I think kellymom was the most helpful for me as I didn't have time to go to LLL (worked FT) and you can read the Internet on your lunch break or whenever you have time.

GOOD LUCK!

DrSally
02-03-2012, 04:50 PM
Call LLL and start going to meetings. Lots of wise, experienced moms to help younthrough those first few months. Have the leader on speed dial. I never leaked and had a rough start w/Ds and premie issues w/DD, but EBf both, DS for 3 years, and DD for 2 years (obviously not exclusively once they started solids). Those first few weeks are the hardest, support and info is wha's going to help you. Feel free to come here for both as well.

swissair81
02-03-2012, 05:25 PM
I successfully nursed 4 babies, and I had the barest hint of colostrum before birth. I had some problems when my baby was born. My milk didn't come in for almost a week. She was jaundiced and my ped had the formula look on her face. The LC told me to pump on both sides after each feeding to help me produce more milk. It helped in the nick of time.

mmommy
02-03-2012, 05:27 PM
I showed no signs of readiness.
Had an emergency c-section, and kept trying to nurse the whole time I was in the hospital. I don't think she was getting much of anything as I couldn't see anything. Then BANG, my milk came in right as I was waiting to be discharged several days later. Never had any trouble after that - we were very lucky.

flashy09
02-04-2012, 12:45 PM
Not very much, just a tiny bit after a shower out of one breast. The first 4 days of nursing I saw absolutely nothing, but apparently that's ok...baby only needs a tiny amount of colostrum. I think that's when a lot of women assume they have low supply and supplement, which in turn does create a low supply. Just put the baby on to feed every 2 hrs or so in the beginning and your milk should come in fine.

Simon
02-04-2012, 02:35 PM
I didn't notice anything in advance in any of my 3 pg. No real change in breast size, etc. as some of the pp said.

With Ds1 I started leaking colostrum during labor (just noticed a wet spot on my gown). He went straight to the NICU and I was pumping for him but getting tiny, tiny amounts of colostrum--like 5ml or less. Not enough to fill a syringe even half way. But, my milk did eventually come in and he nursed for almost 3years!

Ds2 nothing before, during labor, etc. and ditto Ds3 though both these babies nursed well immediately after birth.

Multimama
02-04-2012, 02:50 PM
I just wanted to join the chorus of getting in touch with an LLL leader now and having their cell phone number or whatever with you in the hospital. I am convinced the LLL leader whose cell phone number I had saved my BFing relationship with my DS after my c-section.

I think for me the biggest thing was nursing constantly, as much as I could stand it and then some more, and also lots of skin to skin contact. I know it's totally scary whenever you weren't successful at something last time because it just feels natural that the same thing will happen again (I feel that way about my c-section/VBAC attempt), but this time could be completely different!