PDA

View Full Version : HELP! with RF Radian install

vtmom
02-03-2012, 04:00 PM
I have to do a seat belt install of a Radian 65 RF on the passenger side of a 2001 4Runner and just can't get it tight enough! I've got a rock solid install on this seat FF on the driver's side (and a RF infant seat in the center seat) so this seat needs to be in this position but I can't get it to move less than 1"! Does anyone have any advice????

Joolsplus2
02-04-2012, 09:13 AM
Did you have any luck??? It's all about the angle that you pull the belt at. Instead of pulling the tail (on a lapbelt) or shoulderbelt out away from the seat, pull it back in toward the seat, even back through the belt path. And even then, it's not going to be super rock solid for a few more tries while you learn it's quirks (I just had to resign myself to allowing the one inch of movement rule for the first few months I owned it, then somehow you learn exactly how to get it in your car, I wish I had even better advice than that!)

legaleagle
02-04-2012, 02:50 PM
Maybe also try twisting the belt stalk? If the buckle is nearing the beltpath, that would keep it from getting tight enough. If the seatbacks recline, try playing around with the angle as well.

vtmom
02-04-2012, 03:03 PM
Thanks for the feedback! I tried the stalk twisting and didn't get anywhere with that. I think changing the angle the seat belt is pulled at did help a little.

I think I've got it to a point where I'm comfortable. Part of the problem seems to be that the seat cushion bumps a little higher towards the door, but with three across, I don't really have room to scoot the seat around too much to escape the bump. I had my husband pull on the belt while I was kneeling in the seat (Friday night fun!) and that helped a little as did tethering the seat. It still moves a bit, but it's less than an inch so I'm OK with it.

Thanks again!

twowhat?
02-04-2012, 03:40 PM
Thanks for the feedback! I tried the stalk twisting and didn't get anywhere with that. I think changing the angle the seat belt is pulled at did help a little.

I think I've got it to a point where I'm comfortable. Part of the problem seems to be that the seat cushion bumps a little higher towards the door, but with three across, I don't really have room to scoot the seat around too much to escape the bump. I had my husband pull on the belt while I was kneeling in the seat (Friday night fun!) and that helped a little as did tethering the seat. It still moves a bit, but it's less than an inch so I'm OK with it.

Thanks again!

That's how we did our Radian 65s - I sat in the seat while putting as much weight as I could on the front part of the seat (where child's feet would be), and put weight down into it by pressing up against the roof of the car (hahaha) while DH pulled the strap back through the belt path, as Jools describes (and in fact it was Jools who mentioned this when I posted a long time ago about not being able to get a rock solid RF install - thanks Jools!!). Sounds like you got it in well enough!

eta - I just remembered something - someone (maybe Jools) had suggested cranking back the seatback of the captain's chair - it definitely helped in terms of making space for me to sit on the radian and put weight in the right place. Once the belt was tightened, then I got off the seat, put the seatback in its upright position, and then tested for movement.