PDA

View Full Version : Successful breastfeeding with flat nipples ?

SoloMelody
02-03-2012, 04:21 PM
When time came to start BF with DD, hospital LC said I had flat nipples. DD was agood sucker but couldnt latch on . So I was given a nipple shield. Also told to pump everytime I fed her. Feeding with a nipple shield was hard and uncomfortable for both parties, so I ended up pumping exclusively after a couple of weeks.

Supply wise I always made 4 oz less than what DD needed and I think the problem was she was offered 4 oz formula before my milk came in and somehow that continued and I never made that extra 4 oz to make up.

WIth next child I want to prepare myself well for a successful BF experience aka no pump. Is this possible? Wanting to hear some +ve experiences and what methods were used?

KLD313
02-03-2012, 04:32 PM
I had flat nipples. They gave me this suction looking thing to pull them out. Between that and nursing they came out and I didnt have a problem.

daisymommy
02-03-2012, 05:06 PM
I will sing the praises of this device!
Avent Niplette
http://www.motheringfromtheheart.com/catalog/20.html

Seriously, some of the best money I've ever spent.

I tried the regular breast shells for flat/inverted nipples, and went though 2 different lactation consultants, who ultimately said they would recommend giving up and trying with my next child, because it just wasn't happening with my flat/inverted nipples. Yes, I tried a breast shield too, pumping to draw them out before each feeding, etc. and none of that was successful for me.

After using the Niplette during my second pregnancy, I nursed my daughter a mere 30 minutes after giving birth! She latched right on, without any problems or with me needing help from anyone or a shield. We nursed till she was 20 months old, and DS2 was almost 2yrs. Never a drop of formula. And I still have perky nipples to prove it! :D

FYI: The lactation consultant who runs this website is awesome and gives free advice whenever you ask as well!

One thing I will say, you cannot wear these things out of the house. They look really goofy on :) But hey, I just wore them under a loose t-shirt, and it was just me and my toddler at home. The website says you can wear them under the larger holed breast shells, but it didn't work at all for me. I just couldn't get the device to fit beneath the shells.

Good luck with everything, I wish you much success!!!

roseyloxs
02-03-2012, 06:34 PM
I had flat nipples the first time around with ds and breastfeeding didn't work out for us. The nipple shield actually worked great but then I freaked out because of all the gloom and doom articles on the internet about nipple shields. Anyway I ended up exclusively pumping for 10 months.

Didn't have flat nipples anymore when dd came around. I guess all that pumping made a difference.

fumofu
02-03-2012, 07:52 PM
My left nipple was flat. DS had a bad latch for a good 4-6 weeks, but just having him nurse drew out my nipple. The LC did offer me a nipple shield, but I didn't want to get dependent on it. The Niplette looks interesting.

wellyes
02-03-2012, 07:54 PM
I used a breast sheild for the first few weeks, after that they were not so flat and DD was able to latch on her own. Haven't had flat nipples since.

amldaley
02-03-2012, 11:36 PM
Successfully fed DD for 14 months with flat nipples!

It was DIFFICULT at first. We spent ALOT of time with an LC and DH actually videoed me with DD and the LC so I could remember what she taught me.

We did alot of skin on skin nuzzling.

And I used nipple sheilds faithfully. Just could not get her to latch without one.

I also used one of these for the first few weeks but eventually did not need it: http://www.lansinoh.com/products/latch-assist

You may have to experiment with nipple sheilds to find the right size for you and if you like the contact sheild or full sheild. I used an all natural dish soap and hot water to wash them clean every use (I used Planet) b/c the fat content in breastmilk can leave a film on the silicone. A paci pod is a great way to keep your nipple sheilds with you on the go.

Pumping daily also eventually helped train the nipples out a little bit.

And finding positions that worked well...for us it was cross body and eventually I had her straddle my leg and face me straight on. I always had to use two hands, one to support her and one to support my breast. Because there is not much protruding, if she was not straight on to the breast she was pulling it down. And there wasn't much to pull down so it hurt.

Don't be intimated by those perky nippled mamas who seem to nurse so easily. Flat nipple nursing just takes a little practice and adjustment!

AnnieW625
02-03-2012, 11:44 PM
I have flat nipples too, but never thought to use breast shields; maybe it would have helped with my pumping, but both of my girls breast fed like champs from day 1 (DD2 did prefer one side to another for a couple of weeks). I would just say that if you get frustrated talk to a lactation consultant. Good luck.

amldaley
02-03-2012, 11:46 PM
When time came to start BF with DD, hospital LC said I had flat nipples. DD was agood sucker but couldnt latch on . So I was given a nipple shield. Also told to pump everytime I fed her. Feeding with a nipple shield was hard and uncomfortable for both parties, so I ended up pumping exclusively after a couple of weeks.

Supply wise I always made 4 oz less than what DD needed and I think the problem was she was offered 4 oz formula before my milk came in and somehow that continued and I never made that extra 4 oz to make up.

WIth next child I want to prepare myself well for a successful BF experience aka no pump. Is this possible? Wanting to hear some +ve experiences and what methods were used?

??? Where did you get that a very young newborn needed more than 4 ounces? In the first few days, they need very little. Heck, at 6 months, DD was only taking 6 ounce feedings. The ratios for formula vs BM are different.

In order to increase supply, you must increase the signal for demand. Nurse and pump more frequently.

basilicali
02-04-2012, 01:16 AM
I also have flat nipples and I am using this:
http://www.amazon.com/Supple-Inverted-Nipples-Breast-Feeding/dp/B001ARH6H2

It really works, but don't try to put a lot of suction right at first--ouch!

I used a nipple shield with DD#1, but it was very difficult.

AnnieW625
02-04-2012, 02:55 PM
??? Where did you get that a very young newborn needed more than 4 ounces? In the first few days, they need very little. Heck, at 6 months, DD was only taking 6 ounce feedings. The ratios for formula vs BM are different.

In order to increase supply, you must increase the signal for demand. Nurse and pump more frequently.

My girls must have been super eaters because by the time they were a month old they were routinely taking 4 oz. of milk from a bottle (with DD1 it was mainly formula because I couldn't pump much and DH handled the last pre midnight feeding, and the first AM feeding if it was after 4 am). DH did the same with DD2, but used more breast milk than formula because I had more. Granted DD2 had reflux so there was some spit up, but I really don't think 4 oz. is out of the ordinary. I never figured out exactly how much my girls were eating while breastfed, but after 30 minutes (usually 15-20 minutes per side) I never felt like I was engorged or had lots of milk left.

By the time I started weaning both girls when they were 3/1/2 months old they were routinely taking 6 to 8 oz. of formula or breast milk per feeding.

amldaley
02-04-2012, 08:14 PM
My girls must have been super eaters because by the time they were a month old they were routinely taking 4 oz. of milk from a bottle (with DD1 it was mainly formula because I couldn't pump much and DH handled the last pre midnight feeding, and the first AM feeding if it was after 4 am). DH did the same with DD2, but used more breast milk than formula because I had more. Granted DD2 had reflux so there was some spit up, but I really don't think 4 oz. is out of the ordinary. I never figured out exactly how much my girls were eating while breastfed, but after 30 minutes (usually 15-20 minutes per side) I never felt like I was engorged or had lots of milk left.

By the time I started weaning both girls when they were 3/1/2 months old they were routinely taking 6 to 8 oz. of formula or breast milk per feeding.

They would need more if it was formula or formula and breastmilk mixed as formula is not as nutrient rich per ounce so a serving size has to be bigger.

I was concerned about the OP's math suggesting that when she was in the hospital, that she was somehow expected to produce MORE than 4 ounces of breastmilk based on her comment that they gave LO 4 ounces of formula and she was never able to catch up. In the first couple of days, mom is only producing colostrum and that is all baby needs. A newborn's stomach is the size of a walnut. They really do not need huge feedings in the first couple of days.

Ladybug47
02-05-2012, 04:49 PM
I used a breast sheild for the first few weeks, after that they were not so flat and DD was able to latch on her own. Haven't had flat nipples since.

:yeahthat:

Apparently, I had short nipples. I was really disappointed about having to use a nipple shield and did a lot of crying those first few weeks because I didn't want to have to use an "accessory" and have extra parts to wash and all that. And I felt like I'd have to use it forever. We went to several LC appointments and really worked at trying to help him latch without the shield. Then, he suddenly figured it out and there was no turning back and no more nipple shield! I nursed him for a year and had absolutely no issues with my daughter and have been nursing her for a year now, too. My nipples aren't "short" anymore, I don't think, from all that nursing!

elaineandmichaelsmommy
02-07-2012, 12:29 AM
I had flat nipples and a LARGE breast. What worked for us was essentially the creation of the nipple sandwich.

pick up your breast,squeeze the nipple and areola area slightly so that it is flattened, tease the babys mouth with the nipple and milk until they open their mouth WIDE then place (shove) your nipple as far back as you can. You might have to do it once or twice but once they start sucking and pull it out a bit it gets a lot easier.

But ymmv, that's what worked for me.

amldaley
02-07-2012, 07:53 AM
I had flat nipples and a LARGE breast. What worked for us was essentially the creation of the nipple sandwich.

pick up your breast,squeeze the nipple and areola area slightly so that it is flattened, tease the babys mouth with the nipple and milk until they open their mouth WIDE then place (shove) your nipple as far back as you can. You might have to do it once or twice but once they start sucking and pull it out a bit it gets a lot easier.

But ymmv, that's what worked for me.

lol...is "nipple sandwhich" a technical term we might read about on Kellymom or hear of from an LC, or is that one a phrase you coined? B/c there really is not a better way to describe it!

daisymommy
02-07-2012, 09:13 AM
Hee-hee, "nipple sandwich" is the term my LCs used too LOL!
It still didn't work for me though. I had these large breasts, that didn't even taper at the end, no nipple to speak of, baby didn't stand a chance with them.