PDA

View Full Version : Narrow HB Booster with 5 pt harness?

vtmom
02-03-2012, 05:15 PM
We need to get a new car seat. At first I was going to go with a third Radian, but now I'm wondering if I might be able to get a car seat that converts to a HB booster instead? This seat would be for FF DD1 who is 3, 97%ile for height and 20%ile for weight (she's just about to outgrow her Marathon in DH's car). DH's family is tall and thin so I'm expecting this height/weight trend to continue.

We currently have 3 across (RF Radian, RF Snugride 32, and FF Radian). The RF Snugride is going to be outgrown soon (by height!) so I can either get DD2 a new RF seat or DD1 a FF seat that converts to a booster later on and pass her Radian on to DD2. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

ETA: It has to puzzle in with the Radians and it has to have a 5pt harness for right now - DD1 is NOT ready to use just a seat belt!

If it's not stroller research it's car seats!!!:6:

Joolsplus2
02-04-2012, 09:15 AM
Might at least try a Maestro (secure kid 300/400 are the same but cushier, I'm not sure where they are sold yet, maybe baby depot?). I've had strangely good luck with the Frontier too, and it's super duper tall. Last resort might be the safety 1st go, it's not terribly comfy for sleeping, but it fits right in a lot of tight places.

vtmom
02-06-2012, 03:58 PM
Thanks! I'll make sure to take a look at these seats. Any idea how they are for plane travel? We'll be doing a fair amount in the coming year and DD needs a 5 point harness on the plane to help her stay in her seat!

Joolsplus2
02-07-2012, 03:41 PM
Frontier is too big to practically travel with, Go can't be used on a plane, so the Evenflo might be your best choice (light, easy to haul and install :))

vtmom
02-08-2012, 03:30 PM
Jools - thans for all the feedback!!!
Good to know about the Safety first not being allowed on planes! That one is definitely off the list.

As a point of reference, we travel with our SK Radian 65s (yep, we've lugged more than two around and airport!). Is the frontier heavier than that?

Also, I've been doing a lot of research on this board and it seems like people's number one complaint about the Maestro is that it's not "cushy". DD has been in the SK Radian 65 which isn't very "cushy" either. How does the Maestro compare to the Radian in terms of "cushyness"?

I guess I'm looking for a seat that's going to last the longest and puzzle in to our crowded back seat!!

Joolsplus2
02-10-2012, 08:57 AM
Oh yes, Frontier is like carrying 2 Radians tied together...or one super inflated huge one, if not much heavier, lol...bulkier by a mile!
Evenflos are a tad less cushy than Radians, but it might be fairly comparable (possibly less leg support, so maybe tossing a carryon down on the floor for foot support, or a cheap light step stool, might help keep the comfort level higher...almost all kids in boosters need foot support eventually anyway, to prevent back pain, so IF there's a problem with the Maestro, you'll be prepared in advance for that, lol).

lpl47
02-24-2012, 11:02 PM
We love the Safety First Go (my kids have no trouble sleeping in it on a longer trip) and if you pair it with a cares harness for the plane it makes traveling a breeze!

mom2binsd
02-25-2012, 11:30 AM
The new Diono Radians now convert to HBB, but that would also be pretty heavy to carry.