PDA

View Full Version : V-Bac moms please educate me

Staraglimmer
02-03-2012, 10:17 PM
Do I want to try? Dr is willing, anyone btdt? Thanks in advance.

-Stephanie
Mommy to Hailey Michelle 4/08
& a new addition due 7/1/12

smilequeen
02-03-2012, 10:58 PM
I had two VBACs and they were, for me, incredibly awesome. I just felt deep down that I knew that I could do it and that I wanted to do it. The result of my c/s was a healthy amazing son, no problem, but I was bummed that I didn't have the birth I planned for (and fwiw, he was not in distress, there was no real reason for the c/s besides FTP and I just felt like it was unnecessary).

ICAN was a great resource.

But...the thing is, no one can decide if it's the right choice for you. If you want it, you should try, but if not, there is no shame in having another c/s. It's a tough position to have to be in and there isn't a right answer. I just believe strongly that every woman should have the choice to make.

I would think through your personal feelings on birth, do a little research. I really felt like the answer just kind of spoke to me if that makes any sense.

nrp
02-03-2012, 11:12 PM
I had an uneventful vaginal birth with DD1, then a CS with DS for a previa, and then a VBAC with DD2. The VBAC went beautifully - my best birth experience of the three. I would have attempted a med-free birth, but my OB recommended another epidural (I had one with DD1), for the reason that if he had to call a repeat CS I would be able to avoid general anesthesia. I think that if it was a really big deal to me, he could have gotten behind it, but for me it wasn't a huge issue. My OB (who I really respect and appreciate) is pretty conservative with who he will agree to VBAC. I was a particularly good candidate because I had "proved" I could birth vaginally and the reason for my CS was not an issue with my third pregnancy. He told me that none of his patients had ever ruptured, which he attributed to his conservative approach, but he is often called in to surgery for non-patients who had ruptured. So, he is well aware of the risks, but is very supportive of VBAC if he feels there is a good chance of success. He even told me that if I had not come out of the gate asking for one, he would have encouraged me in that direction, given my history.

I would concur with smilequeen - if you want to do it and your doc is supportive, go for it.