PDA

View Full Version : meds for impulse control?

lil_acorn
02-04-2012, 10:01 AM
Does anyone have experience with medication for impulse control in kids (son is not adhd but has impulse control issues). Any BTDT advice?

daisymommy
02-04-2012, 10:23 PM
Has he actually been tested for ADD by a qualified doctor?
I don't know of anyone that will prescribe meds just for impulse control, but that is one symptom of ADD.
Oh, and how old is your DS? Maybe it's just an age and maturity thing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kozachka
02-04-2012, 11:45 PM
My DS also has impulse control issues and he is 8. I am meeting with a school psycologist this Tuesday to talk re: ADHD evaluation, but his current and previous teacher and previous school psycologist were not convinced he has ADHD and said that he needs to mature and learn social skills, so he might or might not have it. We had him take a social skills class and that helped a bit. So far no meds, and for me personally (after hearing a bunch of stories from MIL who was a psyhiatrist re: what meds can do to people) it is the last resort.

ETA: The psycologist thinks that rather than ADD/ADHD our DS might have anxiety, which in young children can have very similar symptoms as ADD/ADHD. If confirmed, medication is an option, but she also said that new research suggests that one hour of physical exercise equals one Prozac pill (or something like that) so we should not be scaling down any of his sport activities. So it's couple more thing to consider as you are trying to figure out how to help your DC. Some of it can be just maturity.