PDA

View Full Version : Is it rude to bring your own drink to a party?

Octobermommy
02-04-2012, 12:11 PM
Non- alcoholic. Most parties here have tea , juice/punch & regular soda pop. I don't drink any of these right now. Would it be okay to put a diet coke in my purse or would that be rude. I could just ask for water but at an indoor party they usually don't have that out here.

hillview
02-04-2012, 12:14 PM
Not at all rude. I'd do it in a heart beat and if you came over (we'd have diet coke) but I'd understand and put it in the fridge for you :)

BayGirl2
02-04-2012, 12:25 PM
I wouldn't find it rude.

Most people here would have diet soda if they had soda at all, and water available. But if your social circle doesn't then bring what you need.

Liziz
02-04-2012, 12:28 PM
I think that's perfectly okay, and definitely not rude.

lizzywednesday
02-04-2012, 12:30 PM
I did that all the time when I was pregnant and never considered it would be perceived as rude.

I even brought enough to share a few times, including my SIL's bachelorette party.

jench
02-04-2012, 12:48 PM
I do this all the time b/c I love Coke Zero (but not regular Diet Coke) - I usually bring it in open so it looks like I was drinking it in the car anyway and just brought it in to finish. But maybe I don't even need to do that since you all think it is not rude anyway!!

Octobermommy
02-04-2012, 12:48 PM
Thanks guys! Off to grab my diet coke...

khm
02-04-2012, 12:50 PM
If you are really worried about it, I'd grab a 2-liter and say it's for all. :)

I wouldn't worry about it though!

Seitvonzu
02-04-2012, 02:20 PM
this wouldn't phase me... except that i might feel bad that i didn't think to have something a guest likes (but that is just me-- i tend to go over board with the options)

enjoy your coke! :)

pinkmomagain
02-04-2012, 02:24 PM
I would bring a liter or two with the intention to be shared.

fivi2
02-04-2012, 03:08 PM
I'll be different. I would think it was weird. Not really rude, but definitely odd. I would wonder why you couldn't go a couple of hours without a diet coke. (and I do have definite caffeine requirements, but I try to plan around special events)

If you were pregnant or had some other issue, I would understand, but aside from that, I would find it odd. Just as I would find it odd if you brought your own big mac to my dinner party and sat down and unwrapped it as I was serving everyone else.

Of course it would depend on what kind of party it was, how well I knew you, etc ,etc. A backyard bbq with 50 people coming and going - eh I probably wouldn't notice or care. A small gathering where I sent printed invitations - I would wonder why.

Again, I wouldn't gossip about you and tell everyone how rude you are, but I would have a momentary - huh, I wonder what that is all about.

SnuggleBuggles
02-04-2012, 03:11 PM
Funny, in my circle I am usually screwed b/c they only have diet and I won't drink that. I never bring my own- and wouldn't. It's just a few hours so I'll grab a cup and go to the sink for water.

TwinFoxes
02-04-2012, 03:18 PM
I don't think it's rude, as in, if I were the host it wouldn't bother me. But I wouldn't do it. I just can't imagine packing up a Diet Coke in my purse to take to a party! And I'm a big fan of Diet Coke...won't drink Diet Pepsi.

Corie
02-04-2012, 03:18 PM
I'd probably bring a 12-pack and drink what I wanted. Then leave it
there when I go home.

crl
02-04-2012, 03:42 PM
For a casual party with good friends, I might bring a two liter bottle or a twelve pack. Probably not though. I wouldn't want to risk making my host feel like s/he hadn't provided adequately.

Catherine

eagle
02-04-2012, 03:55 PM
I would find it odd if you brought your own big mac to my dinner party and sat down and unwrapped it as I was serving everyone else

yes i get this. i totally do. weird. BUT. i also understand that sometimes you cannot POSSIBLY accomodate everyones needs/allergies etc. you cant buy diet coke, sprite zero, throwback pepsi, honest to god real juleps, soy milk (unsweetened), mineral water, tap water (filtered), cane sugar root beer, guiness on tap etc etc etc.

you buy some coke, diet coke, sprite, lots of bottles of water (and even there you hope you dont get the evil eye for buying plastic bottles of water) and three bags of ice and hope for the best.

if someone has their diet coke with lime addiction and they bring their own, ill just be freaking happy for their company and not get offended.

eagle
02-04-2012, 03:57 PM
where we live, NO ONE touches the soda and ALL THE BOTTLES OF WATER are gone.

i just usually buy soda that we can drink afterwards on our own for that reason. no one drinks the soda but i offer it anyway. dont seem like a party without sodas.

fivi2
02-04-2012, 04:43 PM
yes i get this. i totally do. weird. BUT. i also understand that sometimes you cannot POSSIBLY accomodate everyones needs/allergies etc. you cant buy diet coke, sprite zero, throwback pepsi, honest to god real juleps, soy milk (unsweetened), mineral water, tap water (filtered), cane sugar root beer, guiness on tap etc etc etc.

you buy some coke, diet coke, sprite, lots of bottles of water (and even there you hope you dont get the evil eye for buying plastic bottles of water) and three bags of ice and hope for the best.

if someone has their diet coke with lime addiction and they bring their own, ill just be freaking happy for their company and not get offended.

Sure, but I don't think a host needs to provide any possible item that a guest might get a craving for. And I don't see why an otherwise healthy guest can't satisfy their craving before or after a party.

Again, I won't be offended,but I will wonder.