PDA

View Full Version : Teaching toddler to wear helmet - approach?

Uno-Mom
02-04-2012, 03:11 PM
How did you handle it?

I feel silly having Sprog wear a helmet on her Radio Flyer trike with the adult handle! On the other hand, it makes sense to instil the helmet-wearing habit early. I don't want a huge battle when she starts riding independently, switches to a balance bike, or whatever.

Background: I HAAAAATE helmets. Absolutely hate wearing them. So much that I've pretty much stopped riding my bike now that dh is around freaking when I ride bare-headed. To me, the whole joy of bike riding is feeling the wind on my hair. I fully realize the safety needs and I plan to get over my aversion when it's time to start riding with Sprog. I want her to grow up used to helmets so she doesn't have my problem!

crl
02-04-2012, 03:14 PM
We did a helmet for ds as soon as he started riding a trike. Dd will get one for her birthday to go with her balance bike. Basically if it is past a ride on toy and it has wheels, they have to wear helmets. So far ds, age 8, has never argued or tried to go without. I think since all the kids wear them now, it's not such a big deal.

Catherine

cono0507
02-04-2012, 03:26 PM
It was a non-issue. As soon as we introduced ride on toys with wheels (tricycle, scooter, etc) the helmet was a given. Package deal - there was never any question for them - if they get on a tricycle/etc, they put on their helmet. Just start right from the start, get a cute helmet she likes, and always use it, no exceptions, and she'll think it is just natural to wear one.

I never wore a helmet growing up, etc, but now I feel naked on my bike or skiing without one. Makes for bad hair, but nothing a ponytail can't fix. ;)

twowhat?
02-04-2012, 03:31 PM
We just make it a rule, no exceptions as PP stated. If they're riding their trikes (or anything) outside of our house, helmets are required. No helmet = no riding. I just think of it the same way as seat belts. Not belted in = not going anywhere. Once it becomes a habit, DC will feel that something is "wrong" if she's out without a helmet. Same reason my girls yell "I'M NOT BUCKLED IN YET" when I've actually forgotten to buckle them in their carseats.

khm
02-04-2012, 03:33 PM
If wheels were involved, so was a helmet. End of.

I figured it'd be too confusing (or allow a debate) if the handle trike = no helmet. Especially so when there was an older and a younger, I didn't want to hear "Why doesn't he need a helmet???" so, wheels of any sort = helmet.

crl
02-04-2012, 03:39 PM
Just curious, for those that say wheel equals helmet no exceptions, did you use helmets with toddler ride-ons, like this

http://www.amazon.com/Little-Tikes-Push-Ride-Racer/dp/B00005850H/ref=sr_1_13?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1328384305&sr=1-13 ?

Catherine

khm
02-04-2012, 03:50 PM
Just curious, for those that say wheel equals helmet no exceptions, did you use helmets with toddler ride-ons, like this

http://www.amazon.com/Little-Tikes-Push-Ride-Racer/dp/B00005850H/ref=sr_1_13?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1328384305&sr=1-13 ?

Catherine

We only used that type inside, without a helmet. ;)

Outside they always had more "real" type stuff - trikes, 3-wheel scooters, balance bikes, etc.

veronica
02-04-2012, 03:55 PM
Helmets should be a must and not an option.

Please. Take if from someone, whose DH fell off of a bicycle and was comatose for two weeks. He required two brain surgeries and almost a year of PT to recover.

Oh, and he was 23 years old, completely sober (for those skeptics who are reading), and just hit a pothole.

Needless to say, we are so disheartened to see so many children without protection. It is also the law here in NJ, until age 14. Sadly, by the age of 6/7, so many people disregard helmets.

♥ms.pacman♥
02-04-2012, 04:21 PM
We just make it a rule, no exceptions as PP stated. If they're riding their trikes (or anything) outside of our house, helmets are required. No helmet = no riding. I just think of it the same way as seat belts. Not belted in = not going anywhere. Once it becomes a habit, DC will feel that something is "wrong" if she's out without a helmet. .

:yeahthat:

at the bike shop where we bought his helmet, DS didn't want to wear his new helmet (he thought it looked cool and all, but did not want to wear it, kept saying "no! no!"). then later that day we tried to get him to wear it..he refused. the NEXT DAY he asked to wear it while he was playing trains, and wore it for half an hour :shrug: sometimes he would want to ride his bike or trike and we told him that whenever he wants to ride his bike he has to wear it. No helmet, no riding. He learned pretty quickly after that. Often times he asks to wear the helmet indoors, just while he's playing! Fine by me....it's not an issue at all now.

I think in the beginning all toddlers refuse some article of clothing that is new to them (for a good week or so after his 1st birthday, my DS hated wearing real shoes!). But then they get used to it, to the point where they feel strange without it.

smilequeen
02-04-2012, 04:55 PM
I did just make them do it even when it seemed silly. I didn't with the parent handle b/c they were strapped in, but as soon as they were moving themselves around outside...helmet. It's pretty much second nature to them now.

MontrealMum
02-04-2012, 05:18 PM
It's never been an issue here. DS knows that bike=helmet. We are avid cyclists so he's used to seeing us wear them. Although he didn't get a trike until he was 2ish he already had a helmet because we started pulling him in the bike trailer once he turned 1. He's very safety conscious and frequently makes a loud proclamation when he sees people on bikes w/o helmets. While I'm glad it's so engrained, it's a little embarrassing as he's so loud.

Uno-Mom
02-04-2012, 05:49 PM
It's never been an issue here. DS knows that bike=helmet. We are avid cyclists so he's used to seeing us wear them. Although he didn't get a trike until he was 2ish he already had a helmet because we started pulling him in the bike trailer once he turned 1. He's very safety conscious and frequently makes a loud proclamation when he sees people on bikes w/o helmets. While I'm glad it's so engrained, it's a little embarrassing as he's so loud.
Haha! I bet we'll have that problem, too, with our outspoken child. Oh well.

Our trike with the push-handle doesn't have a seatbelt - it's just a regular trike. (One of the older Radio Flyers.) I think I'll search out a helmet pretty soon, before spring hits in earnest.

Snow mom
02-04-2012, 06:27 PM
Our rule is that DD must wear a helmet when riding outside whether she's riding her trike or her balance bike. The only complicating factor is they ride trikes on the playground at school without helmets. She hasn't questioned that this is the rule with us though.

hillview
02-04-2012, 06:42 PM
DSs wore helmets on their ketler trykes that we pushed with a push bar. It is not negotiable (no helmet no wheels).

Uno-Mom
02-04-2012, 06:52 PM
Our rule is that DD must wear a helmet when riding outside whether she's riding her trike or her balance bike. The only complicating factor is they ride trikes on the playground at school without helmets. She hasn't questioned that this is the rule with us though.
Yeah, I've got that issue, too. I think Sprog will adapt, though.

mom_hanna
02-04-2012, 09:08 PM
We started the kids wearing helmets in the bike trailer, so before 1 year old. Then, as they graduated to riding their own wheeled objects, we required them. So, trikes, scooters, skateboards, etc. DH and I also ALWAYS wear them on our bikes. Basically, we have a "no helmet, no ride" rule. No exceptions.

ETA: their preschool required the kids bring helmets in order to ride the trikes and scooters, so it helped reinforce the helmets.

lalasmama
02-04-2012, 09:14 PM
We just make it a rule, no exceptions as PP stated. If they're riding their trikes (or anything) outside of our house, helmets are required. No helmet = no riding. I just think of it the same way as seat belts. Not belted in = not going anywhere. Once it becomes a habit, DC will feel that something is "wrong" if she's out without a helmet. Same reason my girls yell "I'M NOT BUCKLED IN YET" when I've actually forgotten to buckle them in their carseats.

:yeahthat:

DD now worries when the neighbor doesn't wear his helmet, and will ask that he puts it on, LOL. Anything with wheels that I'm not pushing requires a helmet. I hate wearing one too... but DD needs to know that there isn't a choice in the matter.

ett
02-04-2012, 09:15 PM
It's never been an issue here. We used the helmet even with the parent handle and seatbelt. The rule is no helmet, no bike; doesn't matter if they're riding themselves or being pushed. Simple and easy for them to understand at a young age.

edurnemk
02-04-2012, 10:42 PM
Besides being a non-negotaible rule for riding outdoor things like trike, balance bike and pedal bike, I pointed out to DS that race car drivers wear helmets and I've shown him pictures of race car drivers, motorcycle drivers, etc all wearing helmets. So he never complains, he thinks the helmet is cool because he looks like a race-car driver. I do the same when he asks when he'll get to ride in a booster like his older cousins: "race car drivers wear harnesses like the one in your car seat, because that's super safe when you go super fast! I wish my seat had one!" He thinks he's super cool because he rides in a race-car like seat :ROTFLMAO: oh and he believes our car is as fast as a formula one race car :hysterical: