PDA

View Full Version : Need ideas: Substituting an activity for birthday treats at school

Naranjadia
02-05-2012, 11:32 AM
Just in time for my twins fifth birthday, a note rolls home from their 4K teacher that they'd like us to forego birthday treats b/c of not wanting to exclude students with allergies or intolerances.

She suggested that parents make a gift to the classroom, a toy, puzzle, book, or craft supplies. I was thinking of bringing in a craft project or some activity and listening to Laurie Berkner as a substitute party. So I've pitched this idea to the teacher. It is more than halfway through the year and 2/3rds of the kids have already had their sugar-laden parties, so while handling disappointment is part of growing up, I thought I'd mitigate it a bit for my kids.

So, my question is - any ideas? I found a few possibilities on Family Fun and Martha Stewart Kids.

For example: Animal Party Hats: http://www.marthastewart.com/275413/kids-party-crafts/@center/276975/marthas-crafts-kids#/268455

karstmama
02-05-2012, 11:39 AM
my son's montessori preschool did a gift for the class that the bday boy or girl opened, so that's what i did for pre-k this year. we provided snack (animal crackers, grapes, juice box), a little gift bag (stuffed 'circus' animal & some stickers), and the class gift was foam circus animal masks, so everyone got to wear one for the party but they stayed for the class for later pretend play.

so maybe think of a theme & do a class gift that your kiddos get to open?

Naranjadia
02-05-2012, 04:25 PM
Masks sound like great fun - I like the idea of something that can be incorporated into the celebration. Thanks for the idea!

magnoliaparadise
02-06-2012, 12:33 AM
maybe paint pots and plant plants?
Or draw and put stickers on on capes and crowns?

jerseygirl
02-06-2012, 01:16 AM
At dd's holiday party, they played bingo. You can probably make up a board that's relevant to the theme of the week/month. Sight words, weather, letters, etc. We only had a 3 x 3 board which made it easy for everyone to win. Little toys from oriental trading company were the prizes.